DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoint Mission: Can I control the yaw of the Mavic during the mission?

MavicMikeGA

Reactions
I just flew my first waypoint mission and set it up the normal way by flying to points and saving them. However, I was surprised to find that during the running of the mission that I could not aim (yaw) the craft at all. It followed the exact position that I used to set the waypoints which, by any measure, was a bit hectic.

Is it possible to control the yaw during the mission?

Mike

Yes, it's one of the options you need to pick when loading the mission. I can't remember the terminology off the top of my head but I believe it's under "heading" when you go to load the mission. One is "free", another is bound to the heading of the next waypoint, and the default is probably to just stay at the original heading. You'll want to choose "free"

Reactions: Chase R
Yes, it's one of the options you need to pick when loading the mission. I can't remember the terminology off the top of my head but I believe it's under "heading" when you go to load the mission. One is "free", another is bound to the heading of the next waypoint, and the default is probably to just stay at the original heading. You'll want to choose "free"

After many attempts, I just can't find the "Free" selection. Where is it located. I mean, I'm looking at the app now and I do not see a submenu or pick for "Free".

He appears to be using an earlier version as the language is a bit different on the newest version but the menu is in the same location when you load a saved route. You can see him pull up the menu around the 5 minute mark.

So it looks as though you have to choose the flight modes after you record your way points but prior to running the recorded route. Going to give that a try. BRB.

Ok. That worked!
You know, in retrospect it is a bit confusing finding this setting because you cannot access (or at least I can't) the flight options directly after you fly your waypoints. Let me explain:

This is what I thought would be the correct method:
  • Launch the Mavic
  • Activate Waypoints
  • Fly the path to record the waypoints.
  • Hit "Apply" which starts the waypoint path.
  • The Drone automatically begins the flight path along the waypoints.
  • Select your mode during the flight or shortly after you hit "Apply".
  • Have fun!
What is actually require:
  • Launch the Mavic
  • Activate Waypoints
  • Hit "Apply" which starts the waypoint path.
  • Hit "Cancel" to exit the mode (the drone hovers).
  • Select "Waypoints" again in the menu.
  • Open Saved Waypoints
  • Find the path you just created.
  • Hit the Settings "Gear" icon in the top-right of the menu.
  • Select "Free" mode
  • Hit "Apply"
  • Waypoints get uploaded to drone which has been hovering patiently for 3 minutes while I navigate these menus.
  • Have fun!
So it does work but it is a pain to get to and I'm losing precious battery time. Is there a better way? Am I just missing something?

Tks!

Reactions: dewster and AyeYo
I don't have my drone powered up to confirm the sequence but it seems like you are hitting "apply" initially BEFORE selecting the heading options. Then you are cancelling and starting all over again and setting your heading and then hitting "apply" again.

Is the heading setting not there right before the first time you hit "apply"?

I don't have my drone powered up to confirm the sequence but it seems like you are hitting "apply" initially BEFORE selecting the heading options. Then you are cancelling and starting all over again and setting your heading and then hitting "apply" again.

Is the heading setting not there right before the first time you hit "apply"?

I'll have to check again. Maybe I overlooked it. I hope I did. The drone is charging now so it will be tomorrow before I check.

I just took mine up to test it out. I actually ran into an issue where I was unable to get it to record the waypoints at all. Granted I was using the android version so this might not apply to you. I attempted to get into the settings menu (gear icon) prior to setting the first waypoint but once I did it wouldn't allow me to set any waypoints NOR would it even allow me to exit out of the settings menu or "apply" because it said that I needed more than one waypoint set (C2 wasn't setting any waypoints while in the headings menu)

Before I did that though, I attempted to reproduce what you were saying was happening and you were right, it did exactly what you said. Kind of a pain in the *** way to go about it. Previously I hadn't gone from recording a mission to running the mission with different heading settings immediately after. I had only set up the mission and then later on gone into the mission and set up the headings and flown it. In that case, where you are simply pulling up previously saved missions, the workflow seems pretty straightforward. But yeah, in a situation where you want to set up a mission and then run it immediately afterward with different heading settings, it's a straight up pain in the ***.

I'll have to play around with it tomorrow. I have 3 batteries on the charger myself and it's 1am. There has to be a cleaner way to go about it.

For waypoint flying I use Ground Station Pro (GS Pro app). You can do up to 99 waypoints on one flight and program up to 15 actions per waypoint including camera operations. Currently, it's only for iPad.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I just took mine up to test it out. I actually ran into an issue where I was unable to get it to record the waypoints at all. Granted I was using the android version so this might not apply to you. I attempted to get into the settings menu (gear icon) prior to setting the first waypoint but once I did it wouldn't allow me to set any waypoints NOR would it even allow me to exit out of the settings menu or "apply" because it said that I needed more than one waypoint set (C2 wasn't setting any waypoints while in the headings menu)

Before I did that though, I attempted to reproduce what you were saying was happening and you were right, it did exactly what you said. Kind of a pain in the *** way to go about it. Previously I hadn't gone from recording a mission to running the mission with different heading settings immediately after. I had only set up the mission and then later on gone into the mission and set up the headings and flown it. In that case, where you are simply pulling up previously saved missions, the workflow seems pretty straightforward. But yeah, in a situation where you want to set up a mission and then run it immediately afterward with different heading settings, it's a straight up pain in the ***.
Totally agree. Pain in the @$$

Do you mean that you plan the mission through the app first and then upload it
? I believe the Litchi app also allows this.
Yes. Take all the time you need and upper left hand corner is an icon of a SD card/HD to click on to save the 'mission'. You can set speed/altitude at each waypoint and if you like those setting, you can copy to all waypoints. Attached is screen shot of an example I did down at my son's place near Key West.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8a3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8a3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: MavicMikeGA
Yes. Take all the time you need and upper left hand corner is an icon of a SD card/HD to click on to save the 'mission'. You can set speed/altitude at each waypoint and if you like those setting, you can copy to all waypoints. Attached is screen shot of an example I did down at my son's place near Key West.
Expedy21, do you then use the DJI GS Pro to fly with instead of DJI Go 4 app?

I've had a chance to test our assumptions. Here's what I know works now.

• Launch the Mavic
  • Activate Waypoints
  • <Insert New> While Mavic is hovering, go to "Settings Gear" in top right hand corner of the Waypoints menu. Select "Free".
  • Hit the little tiny "<" in the top left of that menu to get back to level one of the Waypoints menu.
  • Hit "Apply"
  • Hit "Done" "or Save" which uploads the path to the drone.
  • <Delete This> Select your mode during the flight or shortly after you hit "Apply".
  • <Insert This> Free mode is activated when the drone begins its path along the waypoints.
  • Have fun!
In summary, it does work like I want it to but I give DJI a "-1" on obvious user interface design because it isn't obvious how to select other modes and navigating around the menu while the drone is in the air is a bit stressful (maybe its just me). Also, I ran into another oddity in that I've recorded about 10 different waypoint routes on different days this week but only one route, the most recent one recorded, is the only one that I can find. I can't scroll through a list of previous routes. Can anyone else?

Reactions: Humanparody

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair