DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints at last in DJI Go4 !

IanChap

Reactions
That's a pleasant (and long overdue) surprise with Android v4.3.12 for my M2P :)

To be honest I've always liked Litchi, but they still haven't resolved jerky yaw problem with waypoints. Let's hope it works OK in Go4, I assume it will, but raining here now....

Last edited:
Odd, firmware is out but i looked at the app version on my Android phone and it is still 4.3.11. hmm. There is no update shown. Was yours updated to .12?

Odd, firmware is out but i looked at the app version on my Android phone and it is still 4.3.11. hmm. There is no update shown. Was yours updated to .12?
Yes, I've had all three firmwaress and Go4 updated today.

IMHO Go4 is rolled out over a few days, not everyone gets it simultaneously.

It's either Christmas, or the start of a nightmare :-D

Reactions: DavidNDC and 747P4

Mine just updated to 4.3.12 when I went into the play store it was waiting.

odd, ok. may be it is because i am on the pixel2, android 9. hmm. no update for me, yet. pls post here if you will see anything odd in this new firmware.
It's actually DJI Go4, not firmware, as I tried waypoints before I updated the firmware.

It's actually DJI Go4, not firmware, as I tried waypoints before I updated the firmware.
right, what i say is that my DJI go4 is still stuck at 4.3.11 version. it offers firmware update but i guess without 4.3.12 installed it will be pointless. firmware notes say they did something in there as well to support waypoints, so, who knows.

I've never flown waypoints with either of my aircraft although I've been interested but, I just read the Waypoints section of the updated manual and apparently, the max number of waypoints is only 5. That seemed pretty limited but perhaps not. I've certainly seen folks with Litchi missions that had more than five.

I've never flown waypoints with either of my aircraft although I've been interested but, I just read the Waypoints section of the updated manual and apparently, the max number of waypoints is only 5. That seemed pretty limited but perhaps not. I've certainly seen folks with Litchi missions that had more than five.
it is very limited. as what you need, is, well, it is simpler to give a link that shows what it is needed for:
3d Mapping — Copter documentation

see the way how the path gets defined. so, well, it seems if it is indeed only 5, it has to be an artificial limitation to prevent this from getting done, very annoying. i guess we will know better when somebody will actually try it. as i have nothing yet i cannot fathom what is in there dependent upon new firmware and what is dependent upon controlling app in the radio.

You can pretty much put as many waypoints in a lichi mission as you like, the most I have put in is about 36 but I think it supports more than that

Maximum of 5 only is in Hyperlapse. I believe in Waypoints 2 you can set a lot more.

Reactions: Pioneer007
That's a pleasant (and long overdue) surprise with Android v4.3.12 for my M2P :)

To be honest I've always liked Litchi, but they still haven't resolved jerky yaw problem with waypoints. Let's hope it works OK in Go4, I assume it will, but raining here now....
I like the Litchi interface for waypoints MUCH better.

I like the Litchi interface for waypoints MUCH better.
But there is a known problem with Litchi and the Mavic 2, where it doesn't yaw smoothly with curved turns. It jerks.

It's just possible that DJI have resolved this with their latest firmware (Litchi say that it's a SDK/firmware problem that DJI need to fix). But I'm not holding my breath.

It's also possible that the problem exists with DJI waypoints, but I doubt it. Need to get out and test both when I get a chance.

But there is a known problem with Litchi and the Mavic 2, where it doesn't yaw smoothly with curved turns. It jerks.

It's just possible that DJI have resolved this with their latest firmware (Litchi say that it's a SDK/firmware problem that DJI need to fix). But I'm not holding my breath.

It's also possible that the problem exists with DJI waypoints, but I doubt it. Need to get out and test both when I get a chance.

Here is a quick test of the the new Go4 waypoints.
I have added crosswires to show the amount of drift and jerk around the POI.
Speed x5.
Seems slightly better than Litchi for the jerky yaw, but worse in terms of locking onto the POI.
To be fair I should draw up a similar path in Litchi and play them back in parallel.
I still prefer to map out a route in Litchi with a mouse on a PC screen rather than struggling to make accurate placement of waypoints and POI on a little iPad mini with touch screen.

Hmmm, difficult to judge for me with the 5x.

Though I'd agree with you that the yaw seems smoother, but the POI tracking isn't very good.

In some ways I think it may be good that Go4 has similar problems, in that it may get fixed.

Having seen the jerking with both Litchi and GS Pro programs I was already wondering if it was due to control limitations of the Mavic 2 itself.
Some damping to the drone yaw response would certainly make the video look smoother.
Sorry I have already deleted the original files, so not possible to link to 'real-time' footage.

Having seen the jerking with both Litchi and GS Pro programs I was already wondering if it was due to control limitations of the Mavic 2 itself.
Some damping to the drone yaw response would certainly make the video look smoother.
Sorry I have already deleted the original files, so not possible to link to 'real-time' footage.
What I find puzzling is that I had the Air previously, and it seemed to yaw very smoothly!

I have noticed that in Orbit mode Go4 is silky smooth, and Litchi was jerky. Which made me optimistic Go4 waypoints would be smooth....

I had some challenges installing the firmware update to the AC. Got stuck at 95%. It may have corrupted the contents of the SD card, had to format it. I suggest not having a card installed during update.

I was able to update the batteries anyway. Then did a refresh with no SD card. All good now.

I think the cable contacts are getting dirty. Connection wouldn't work at first or would drop when I was checking storage contents on the PC. Blew on it and flipped it, was good after that. Similar issue I get charging my phone in my car.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78