DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird propeller issue

John235

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Several days ago, my MP had a minor accident. In an unwise attempt to lift off indoors, it clipped an end table at about 18" and flupped over. Checking the props, I found two of them cracked, so I replaced them with my spares. Fortunately, it was a marked-unmarked pair. Since then, I have flown 12 times with no issues. On my last flight, attempting a manual landing, I found it very difficult to remain stable over the platform. Every stick movement caused a swing too far to the other side. I chalked it up to my inexperience. Still think that was it, but perhaps it was due to a damaged prop. Today, while getting set to fly, I saw two pencil-sized chips on one blade of one of the props, one that had not been replaced after the accident. I figured that it had been damaged after all, and that I missed it, and that the cracks expanded to those chips, which finally dropped off. If so, I was lucky that the drone had not dropped out of the sky in those 12 flights.

I have purchased a set of four DJI carbon fiber props from Drone-World. Of course I will mount all four, keeping them all matched. In the meantime, while waiting, I am grounded.

There are many third-party props on the market, but being a newbie, I do not want to take any chances. Do any of you folks have recommendations for props that are trustworthy and might give some benefit in price, performance, or quality?

Embarrassed and feeling like an idiot in PA

Don’t feel embarrassed as I am sure everyone else on here has done things they really don’t want to mention.
I used my drone as a hedge trimmer once .I didn’t calibrate it when the magnetic field warning came up due to impatience and wanting to get some film before it rained.
I replaced the props that were damaged with some off FeeBay and it works fine. They were painted gold on the tips so I am sure that makes them special!

Dont hand catch with those carbon fiber props! They are unforgiving and will really hurt you if contacting your fingers or hand. DJI props have a bit of flex and are made of a more forgiving material that one can take a finger impact most of the time.

Carbon Fiber props are more brittle and prone to shattering rather than just chipping off.

Stick with the DJI props and perhaps get the low noise version that they introduced for the Mavic Pro Platinum.

Sorry to say that DJI does not make CF props for the Mavic. What you bought were aftermarket CF props sold by DW.

Drone World

View attachment 57900
Did not know that! Saw a set from Master Airscrew I was interested in, but the replies from Bdog and Thunderdrones convinced me to stick with DJI. I will hope and trust DW and use the CF props just purchased (or is that not a good move?). Next time, I will go with DJI low noise props. Thanks, folks!

Reactions: BD0G
Did not know that! Saw a set from Master Airscrew I was interested in, but the replies from Bdog and Thunderdrones convinced me to stick with DJI. I will hope and trust DW and use the CF props just purchased (or is that not a good move?). Next time, I will go with DJI low noise props. Thanks, folks!

Thinking further about that "shatter rather than chip" I may simply return them and go with Bdog's suggestion.

Its just the nature of carbon fiber. They are lightweight and extremely strong .
Carbon fiber is very strong when stretched or bent, but weak when compressed or exposed to high shock (e.g. a carbon fiber bar is extremely difficult to bend, but will crack easily if hit with a hammer).

Reactions: John235
I have a set as well and dont use them too often as I love to hand catch and even though I have extended landing feet that can be used as a catch handle they still scare me a bit. Standard props dont concern me at all as I have already been "bit" in the past.

Reactions: John235
Using the UCS update as at the end of April, the main purposes for the operational satellites are:

• Communications: 792 satellites, a 6.7% increase on last year.
  • Earth observation: 661 satellites, a 10.9% increase on last year.
  • Technology development/demonstration: 213 satellites, a 10.4% increase on last year.
  • Navigation/Positioning: 121 satellites, a 12% increase on last year.
  • Space science/observation: 76 satellites which is no real change from last year.
  • Earth science: 23 satellites, which is no real change from last year.

Reactions: WAXMAN
OP if you do use DJI MPP props, you might need to adjust your gain settings to avoid unwanted vibration. But they do work.

Yes pretty sure that topic was / is on the forum here somewhere, but good video is here IF it is a problem at all on individual birds, that is.

I tested my pro the other day, have had new genuine platinum prop set fitted recently after a minor crash saw me break a couple.
The broken ones were eBay and probably aftermarket, but worked very well.

So, so quiet :)
Much quieter than Spark and Air for sure.

I checked the gimbal while hovering from various angles, and then did the ‘tip test’ on front legs and it performed perfect recovery without drifting or over correcting, all gains on 100% as default.

Using the UCS update as at the end of April, the main purposes for the operational satellites are:

• Communications: 792 satellites, a 6.7% increase on last year.
  • Earth observation: 661 satellites, a 10.9% increase on last year.
  • Technology development/demonstration: 213 satellites, a 10.4% increase on last year.
  • Navigation/Positioning: 121 satellites, a 12% increase on last year.
  • Space science/observation: 76 satellites which is no real change from last year.
  • Earth science: 23 satellites, which is no real change from last year.
Hope they don't hit into the maned space station!

From earlier postings, I'm sure you paid way over the top for the Drone World CF prop's ... I WAS a big supporter of CF prop's - and still think they are pretty good - but have been able to replace them with Master Airscrew 'Stealth' props recently, and are now 100% sold on those. They run at a lower rpm than even DJI 'quiet' [Platinum] prop's, and are quieter due to the sound pitch being lowered. They even seem to give me a couple of extra minutes on the battery ...
https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Prop...sr=8-2&keywords=master+airscrew+for+mavic+pro

MavPro_MA.jpg

From earlier postings, I'm sure you paid way over the top for the Drone World CF prop's ... I WAS a big supporter of CF prop's - and still think they are pretty good - but have been able to replace them with Master Airscrew 'Stealth' props recently, and are now 100% sold on those. They run at a lower rpm than even DJI 'quiet' [Platinum] prop's, and are quieter due to the sound pitch being lowered. They even seem to give me a couple of extra minutes on the battery ...
https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Prop...sr=8-2&keywords=master+airscrew+for+mavic+pro

View attachment 57942
Thanks. I am still learning. As I gain confidence, and continue to read on this forum, I will learn best practices and suppliers. I got my fixed wing ticket in Alaska years ago, and learned then that a pilot who will not listen to others is a dead pilot.

Last edited:

View attachment 57942
I also started running the Master Air Screw props on my MPP. I have the silver tip and gold tip DJI props but for me the MAS props like the ones in the pic from FoxhallGH are quieter and more responsive than the DJI props. And they are not CF.

I'm currently using AirScrew (black) on my MavPlat. They work fine on it. They work as they should..

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James