DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well, it finally happened - crashed the mavic pro

I

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum - basically the original MP - and I’ve experienced that issue with the front sensors ‘detecting’ something that wasn’t there and stopping it in its tracks. I was about 100’ up and 300’ from me with nothing but wide open expanse an no objects around, yet coming back home it stopped abruptly with the controller beeping like crazy and the proximity lines flashing away indicating an obstruction! I tried to fly back a few times and almost immediately I had this problem each time. I had to disable the sensors and then it was fine. This was at dusk with a low sun so that may have confused it. I always fly with sensors off now and have never had a problem since.

Perhaps turn it 180° and reverse it back to you?

Reactions: Jazz62
Perhaps turn it 180° and reverse it back to you?
Couldn't get the MP to respond to anything I did. According to the analysis done by members here, engaging RTH didn't work because the drone repeatedly encountered the low sun as an obstacle. All I knew at the time was that engaging RTH wasn't doing anything and no obstacle warnings are displayed in RTH mode.

I crashed my phantom 4pro and it was totaled
I sent it in to DJI to get a quote on fixing it although I new it was to far gone. Body, landing gear and camera completely destroyed. They sent me a quote of 350.00. I was surprised with that so gave them the go ahead. They sent me a brand new phantom 4pro, not a refurbished. So that is the way I would go.
Well, let's see if I'm as lucky. I'm pretty sure the condition post-crash is comparable to yours. Just sent it in to DJI this afternoon. Will update thread accordingly.

For anyone curious; here's a screenshot of when loss of communication and aborted RTH attempts occurred. Flying the MP for three years, I have had many experiences with the sun being misconstrued as an obstacle, but I can't ever recall it occurring with the sun so far off-center (in the camera's) FOV. I also don't understand why, after regaining communication, that with full forward stick the speed wouldn't increase beyond a walking pace for quite some time. I'm not looking at the log at the moment, but I think full speed did not return until the drone was in low battery auto-land mode.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thought I'd update this thread since I took a chance on a DJI repair based on a couple of folks here that said they were surprised at DJI's price for repair.

Long story short; for $350 they're sending me a new MP. Should be here in hands by Thursday at which point I will bind it to the controller and put my entire fly more combo and accessories up for sale. I'm going to move over/up to a Mavic Air 2.

Ta-Da! MP arrived today! Looks absolutely new including all the thin plastic shields over everything protecting the sensors, rear LED etc. Even came with the thin rubber cover to protect the gimbal cover from being scratched. No props however. I'll bind it to the controller tonight.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu