DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well the madness has started and the FBI is on the hunt

For those who consider the latest Super Bowl TFR an over reach that's how they've been for a LONG time... well before our toy aircraft came on the picture. They've been 10/30 and this isn't something new that just came out this year. It's not unusual for Special Event TFR's to be 10/30 like this.

Not all TFRs are the same but it's not uncommon to see 10/30 TFR put into place. This is why it's critical to know your stuff and know where to find the FACTS!!

Last year's (2019) TFR in Georgia:
The FAA will publish a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) for Super Bowl LIII centered on Mercedes-Benz Stadium. At this time, we expect the TFR will be active from 4 p.m. EST (2100z) until 11:59 p.m. EST (0459z) on Sunday, February 3. The TFR will have a 10-nautical- mile inner core and a 30-nautical-mile outer ring.

2018 TFR in Texas:
All aircraft flight operations in the 10-nm to 30-nm outer ring from the surface up to, but not including, 18,000 feet msl will be prohibited with the following exceptions, complying with the prescribed procedures: “Aircraft arriving or departing local. Aircraft may not loiter. All aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must be on an active IFR or VFR flight plan and must be assigned a discrete beacon code by an Air Traffic Control (ATC) facility and be squawking that code prior to departing within or entering the TFR.” Also, “All aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must remain in two-way radio communication with ATC and on assigned discrete beacon code.”

I'm coming back to Washington DC once the flu subsides, safe travel; the NFZ from White House is >50 nm these days.

I'm coming back to Washington DC once the flu subsides, safe travel; the NFZ from White House is >50 nm these days.

Just a general question (I honestly have no idea what the answer is) but how close to the residence of "
Xi Jinping " can you fly aircraft (nonmilitary)? Not just UAS but civilian manned aircraft (Cessna 182 for instance)?

What kind of distance would you suggest we modify the White House NFZ to?

How long do you think we need advanced warning to protect our POTUS from a nefarious aircraft? Remember we need to detect, alert, intercept, and potentially take action BEFORE the aircraft is directly over the POTUS?

How long does it take even the slowest of today's manned aircraft to cover a 50nm distance?

Just a general question (I honestly have no idea what the answer is) but how close to the residence of "
Xi Jinping " can you fly aircraft (nonmilitary)? Not just UAS but civilian manned aircraft (Cessna 182 for instance)?

How long do you think we need advanced warning to protect our POTUS from a nefarious aircraft? Remember we need to detect, alert, intercept, and potentially take action BEFORE the aircraft is directly over the POTUS?

How long does it take even the slowest of today's manned aircraft to cover a 50nm distance?

An interesting question....a bit of my ire is not being able to to inspect my buddie's roof gutters, as his home was 1/2 a mile within the NFZ, 28 miles from the WH :)

My totally unqualified guess is 5 clicks / 3 miles.

A C182 cruises at about a buck fifty nm/h (in perfect conditions). I'm not sure of the range of the new ones, but it's 1500 nm from Hanoi to Beijing, and I'm 800 nm south :) That would take a lot of ground support.

I grew up in Arlington, VA, and worked with a lot of agencies. I heard all the rumors about missile batteries on the roof of the Old Exec Office Bldg, SS agents lurking inside fake WH trees, etc. But years ago, there were a few nut jobs that made it there crashed their 182's on the WH lawn. POTUS wasn't there at the time. Perhaps the threat is much more organized and funded than before. But Bolling Naval Airstation is 8-9 seconds Marine 1 helo time to the WH, and Andrews is 12 seconds by armed F15's.

I lease a few heavy lift drones for video production (Singapore), and while large, I can't see them being a huge threat (but nor could an F-15 hit one easily)

Cheers,

G

Just noticed you're in God's Country; I'm hoping to to motorcycle from Skyline down to Cherokee, on the Blue Ridge :) It's late...off topic :)

Attachments

• IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    348.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    376.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Just noticed you're in God's Country; I'm hoping to to motorcycle from Skyline down to Cherokee, on the Blue Ridge :)

Very much so. I'll actually be IN Cherokee this coming Saturday for a few hours. Plan your trip after the leaves are back on the trees as the drive is "blah & flat" right now. A good portion of my "Territory" has BRP running right through it. Some days I'm flying just a few hundred feet from the BRP. It's some GORGEOUS area so don't forget to bring your camera along.

Can you drive a bike or a car into the stadium? Are your neighbors allowed to drive their car onto your lawn?

This is a technology that exists and operates in the public domain. Reasonable regulations will not only help keep us safer, they will ultimately promote and advance the reasonable used of the technology. Like cars.

All the anti-government nonsense loses you credibility instantly. Yawn.

I, for one, would like to know if it was ignorance or stupidity?
Difference Between Ignorance and Stupidity. The intrinsic difference is that ignorance simply implies a lack of awareness about something, while stupidity denotes the inability of a person to understand something due to insufficient intelligence, thus leading to the misinterpretation of a fact.

Reactions: Camino Ken
If they are violating the law anyway, what is more laws going to do? Just restrict the guys who are following the rules?

Reactions: Drgnfli
Only recent DJI aircraft on current FW are even aware of TFR's. Many earlier DJI models are still completely oblivious to all TFR's.
Prohibiting flight would be firmware based, but a warning can be app based.
Go 3 is still updated once in a while.

Will current dji drone be able to add locations to the firmware or are we be [Language Removed by Admin] out of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if he is 107 registered, he’s probably going to be was 107 for life very shortly. They’ll probably slap him with being unable to register a drone as well.
I think that's a guarantee! He'll likely never have a Part 107 cert ever again!

If they are violating the law anyway, what is more laws going to do? Just restrict the guys who are following the rules?
I just figure that until last year, the laws were vague and unless your actions were extreme, you'd never be able to be convicted. I mean even the FAA said we suggest you follow CBO type rules. Seems like it left the door wide open. I'm not a lawyer but I'd think gray areas in the rules would be easier to beat in court. The FAA has now geared up and although I still see some gray areas in the rules, the new laws of recent have become a bit more specified. Yet people still fly over traffic and populated areas and/or beyond the current VLOS/AGL rules.

I don't mind being identified, but not as proposed. I have 25+ RC aircraft that the FAA considers a UAS and I'm worried what's commin down the pike.

Plain and simple, if the FAA can't keep people from flying out of compliance, they want a way to ID you so you can be categorized as an offender making it easier for law enforcement to take action if necessary. I don't like the new rules they plan to put in place, and hopefully they'll find a more happy medium than what's proposed.

It's going to take a few years but it's coming remote ID and I will not invest in expensive drones anymore. My Mavic Pro Platinum and Evo 1 will be my last expensive drones. If I will buy another drone, will buy a cheap one.
Its also affecting the fixed wing community as well and like you I'll stop flying... AMA membership + club dues + registration + id transponder = to much cost to fly ...they suck all the enjoyment out of flying model aircraft...be smart fly safe

Reactions: Drgnfli and macoman
"a total of 77 drone incidents within Super Bowl temporary flight restriction zones as of Friday. Four drones were seized."

77 x ignorant, stupid, or entitled drone operators then :confused:

No doubt other govcos worldwide will also think they also need new powers / ways to control / monitor all drone fliers too.
The flow on from such irresponsible flying will affect all of us, eventually.

Our Govco looked at Gatwick (still an unproven 'incident' by the way) and decided it needs to test airport detection, with aeroscope, so not sure how many non DJI drones can be picked up.
I live in South Miami (Coral Gables), which is 24 miles (Google maps) from Hard Rock Stadium. On the day of the Super Bowl, just for my own interest, I opened Airmap to see if I could fly by my house. The entire county (Dade County-not even the same county as the game) was pink. Thus, there was at least a 24 mile restriction on drones that day.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I have a coworker that got a cheap, non-DJI Drone for Christmas. He was having problems with it randomly flying off. I don't think it's GPS (if it even has one) s working. His first flight was in his backyard. Here's where it gets interesting. He lives under the Class Delta for the local airport (I fly there and I don't want drones in that airspace). I showed him the AirMap app and we looked his place up... 0 feet agl is what he is allowed. If nobody tells you that the drone you bought can't be flown in some locations, how does a non-pilot or first time pilot know. The mfg should let their customers know.

The mfg should let their customers know.

Yes, mfg and point of sale is one place to do this.
In Australia, we get MAAA flyers put in with drones, all drones including DJI drones.

maaa_drones.jpg

Ultimately, the BEST solution, albeit a little draconian, is to have rules to allow sales of ANY drone under legislation to be made only to persons with full or hobbyist licences, and a database for registration enforcement use (model, serial # of equipment etc), other wise people can simply ignore such info above . . . we already see so many taking flight without even reading their manual !!

Ultimately, like many things in our society, some will find ways to get around anything put in place, so it is the 90%, 95%, whatever that feel these changes, doesn't affect the erroneous or nefarious users.

Ultimately, the BEST solution, albeit a little draconian, is to have rules to allow sales of ANY drone under legislation to be made only to persons with full or hobbyist licences, and a database for registration enforcement use (model, serial # of equipment etc), other wise people can simply ignore such info above . . . we already see so many taking flight without even reading their manual !!
If the government ever required this and forced retailers to implement it, sales would drop to next to nothing. They wouldn’t even waste the floor space on a small display

Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer