DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well the madness has started and the FBI is on the hunt

9/11 changed everything in the US. We are caught in a loop of endless security laws to promote the illusion that we can be safe at all times.
I think that what our own government has done to us, as a society, in the name of "homeland security", is far worse than what the hijackers did on 9/11, so America lost twice.

The worst thing is that false sense of security that the politicians provide. The security circus that started at the pax terminal just continues to expand.

Drone restrictions like these TFRs that affect all of aviation are just the latest overreach...how a DJI drone at 200' poses a threat to something 30 miles away is beyond me...or a Cessna in the traffic pattern 20 miles away with his transponder on. If you really want to protect against a threat, concentrate on looking for what's going on in the area, look for different activity, evaluate the risk posed by that activity, take a closer look if you need to, and update your assessment. Sure, setting up an exclusion zone is a prudent measure, but be realistic, and stop the overreach. Some government bureaucrat on a power trip...

Stepping off the common sense soapbox...

Reactions: DroningOn
Pretty easy to see the number at 77 if the NFZ extends 30 miles from the stadium. You could be flying in your back yard and get caught up in it. Doesn't mean anything will happen to all of them. The NFZ is setup for planes that could could reach the stadium in less than 5 minutes, not a 1/2 pound drone taking real estate pictures 5 towns away.

As per the news report in the OP . . .
"Ramos Teran is accused of flying his drone along Miami Beach Wednesday night at 8 Street and Ocean Drive in the heart of South Beach, where a number of Super Bowl activities are taking place. "

So nowhere near the stadium itself in that report.

Of course he's going to be found guilty, admitted he modded the flight to allow to get airborne in the TFR zone, likely a DJI product then.

Another report today I saw come up . . .

This one says he also flew around the stadium.

Many have questioned how authorities would know the number and location of drones there. They could tell if they use this:

Many have questioned how authorities would know the number and location of drones there. They could tell if they use this:
Range of 50km... there’s your 30-mile NFZ. Can it detect me flying a drone in my living room???

We may never know since “ignorance of the law is no excuse”
But stupidity might be.

"The defendant was not able to recognize the fact that what he was doing was not allowed. Test shows that his IQ is in the range of an ant, so he is not responsible for his actions..."

We may never know since “ignorance of the law is no excuse”
We'll know, but it shouldn’t matter, although it will likely be a factor in mitigation at sentencing, should criminal charges and a conviction result from his actions.

Well if he is 107 registered, he’s probably going to be was 107 for life very shortly. They’ll probably slap him with being unable to register a drone as well.
That won't stop a determined scofflaw from just buying another drone and flying it without registration, any more than revoking a driver's license stops someone from physically driving a car, or driving drunk. Sadly, repeat offenders are common, and laws only deter the law abiding.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Aeroscope can only detect DJI drones. It does not work with any other drones.

Of all the drones that I fly, only two are DJI. The rest are 3-5 inch cine-quads or a couple of cine-whoops. I know exactly the electronics and software that they have...I built it, installed the firmware, and programmed it. It's not hard...I'm a complete noob. But the decision of if, when, and where to fly them for videography or any other reason is entirely mine.

Personally, I’m stocking up on F7 flight controllers.

Last edited:
I think that what our own government has done to us, as a society, in the name of "homeland security", is far worse than what the hijackers did on 9/11, so America lost twice.

The worst thing is that false sense of security that the politicians provide. The security circus that started at the pax terminal just continues to expand.

Drone restrictions like these TFRs that affect all of aviation are just the latest overreach...how a DJI drone at 200' poses a threat to something 30 miles away is beyond me...or a Cessna in the traffic pattern 20 miles away with his transponder on. If you really want to protect against a threat, concentrate on looking for what's going on in the area, look for different activity, evaluate the risk posed by that activity, take a closer look if you need to, and update your assessment. Sure, setting up an exclusion zone is a prudent measure, but be realistic, and stop the overreach. Some government bureaucrat on a power trip...

Stepping off the common sense soapbox...
It's similar to gun control. No matter what the restrictions, the bad guy will circumvent them. Even with the TFR, an individual with bad intent could launch from a nearby location, be up and over the event, and bring it down into the event with a possible explosive or other danger on board before intervention. The detection devices used will detect, identify, and control UAV's detected (DJI products, and some others). However with custom builds and some other models, with the speed that they can launch and get over the event, there is still a threat.

I agree with the arguments with the OVER extending of this TFR well beyond normal Major Event TFR's, however, with the high profile of this event and the extremely high volume people attending, I understand it. I just hope they use some common sense when dealing with the violators, i.e., hobby flyers, etc, at a distance from the event that were unaware of the TFR. Ignorance it not an excuse, however, for Non 107, the general public is not well educated in these matters. Drones are sold off the shelf to everyday people that have no idea on flying restrictions, and the stores or packaging do not tell them when they are purchased.

Reactions: Saigondroner
DJI has that already.
No DJI craft can take off while the TFR is active unless unlocked with FAA authorization.
NASA is the NFZ at the top
View attachment 92903
This doesn't just affect DJI products. There are plenty of multirotors out there that can fly out of compliance. The main causes around these types of incidents are usually the ignorant and/or entitlement operators. One way to curtail an out of compliance flier is a stiff fine, but similar to poaching game, a fraction of hunters still poach so fines aren't 100% effective. Yet I feel the FAA and drone industries have failed to educate the public. I mean, have you ever watched a educational commercial geared toward the ignorant drone operator? I don't have any need to fly BVLOS and understand how that can pose problems for airspace and national security especially around sensitive areas. But a little common sense needs to be put in place. Flying the more toy like drones on the beach or someone flying at 30 feet AGL in their backyard miles away from an event (in a NFZ) should be taken into consideration. The real problem is that FPV and extended flight distances scare the heck out of some of the laws makers and this kind of incident just makes it worse. Throw in the often misleading news media reports and it stings worse. But if the reports are correct about this guy, fine em. I just hope the FAA figures a reasonable way to combat these idiots before our hobby is destroyed.

Wonder it other makes of drones, other than DJI, will be forced to have similar limitations.

Geofencing wise, I'm not sure, but they will need to be able to remote ID.
Geo is the way to do this for NFZ / TFR / emergency zones etc, but haven't seen anything about that side of things with changes coming.

Said above, like guns, the bad guys will find ways to get around anything in place.
Does anyone think nefarious drone owners will register or label ?

As i mentioned in another post, unless all drones sales require a licence to produce, and a register of sales in place to check / ensue people comply, all this new legislation (in all western countries now implementing it, or already implemented) is really all fluff.

Not sure how self built racing drones could be monitored, they'd probably have to be outlawed unless supplied RTF (built) by a registered manufacturer to comply.

Just my point. Legally there is none. However his attorney may advise gag rule.
It will be interesting to see what happens to the above mentioned violators.

Florida happens to be my state of tax residence, and many FDLE agents are pals. I received a S. District of FL Pacer report about 'ole Yorgan. He pleaded out on Monday (Feb 3) to 3-4 misdemeanors...trespass, public nuisance, resisting arrest, etc. He seems to have been handed off to Metro-Dade last Wednesday night, Jan 29th, when this happened. He made bail next day. The fine & court costs are not listed. I can't believe the FAA is letting all this media coverage go away.
Best...

The Super Bowl always has a TFR for all aircraft.

If you read all of the NOTAMs, you will laugh. Thew FAA's 'restrictions' are 5 nm from the stadium, if that...it's nothing but Superbowl bound private jets coming and going from Vegas to Teterborough & beyond. All are very qualified and certified pilots, and check TFR's as SOP.

For those who consider the latest Super Bowl TFR an over reach that's how they've been for a LONG time... well before our toy aircraft came on the picture. They've been 10/30 and this isn't something new that just came out this year. It's not unusual for Special Event TFR's to be 10/30 like this.

Not all TFRs are the same but it's not uncommon to see 10/30 TFR put into place. This is why it's critical to know your stuff and know where to find the FACTS!!

Last year's (2019) TFR in Georgia:
The FAA will publish a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) for Super Bowl LIII centered on Mercedes-Benz Stadium. At this time, we expect the TFR will be active from 4 p.m. EST (2100z) until 11:59 p.m. EST (0459z) on Sunday, February 3. The TFR will have a 10-nautical- mile inner core and a 30-nautical-mile outer ring.

2018 TFR in Texas:
All aircraft flight operations in the 10-nm to 30-nm outer ring from the surface up to, but not including, 18,000 feet msl will be prohibited with the following exceptions, complying with the prescribed procedures: “Aircraft arriving or departing local. Aircraft may not loiter. All aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must be on an active IFR or VFR flight plan and must be assigned a discrete beacon code by an Air Traffic Control (ATC) facility and be squawking that code prior to departing within or entering the TFR.” Also, “All aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must remain in two-way radio communication with ATC and on assigned discrete beacon code.”

Reactions: Saigondroner
For those who consider the latest Super Bowl TFR an over reach that's how they've been for a LONG time... well before our toy aircraft came on the picture. They've been 10/30 and this isn't something new that just came out this year. It's not unusual for Special Event TFR's to be 10/30 like this.

Not all TFRs are the same but it's not uncommon to see 10/30 TFR put into place. This is why it's critical to know your stuff and know where to find the FACTS!!

Last year's (2019) TFR in Georgia:
The FAA will publish a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) for Super Bowl LIII centered on Mercedes-Benz Stadium. At this time, we expect the TFR will be active from 4 p.m. EST (2100z) until 11:59 p.m. EST (0459z) on Sunday, February 3. The TFR will have a 10-nautical- mile inner core and a 30-nautical-mile outer ring.

2018 TFR in Texas:
All aircraft flight operations in the 10-nm to 30-nm outer ring from the surface up to, but not including, 18,000 feet msl will be prohibited with the following exceptions, complying with the prescribed procedures: “Aircraft arriving or departing local. Aircraft may not loiter. All aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must be on an active IFR or VFR flight plan and must be assigned a discrete beacon code by an Air Traffic Control (ATC) facility and be squawking that code prior to departing within or entering the TFR.” Also, “All aircraft entering or exiting the TFR must remain in two-way radio communication with ATC and on assigned discrete beacon code.”

Ở Việt Nam chim kêu. Máy bay cũng làm phai kh?

That's about as a 'discrete squawk' & beacon code I can think of :)

"In VN, birds squawk. Airplanes do it also?"

All in fun.....but what Tello buyer on earth would understand a TFR, or NOTAM?

Cheers,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078