DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

West Midlands Flying areas

Hi everyone.
I'm one of the admins for West Midlands Drone Club on Facebook and am putting together a Google Earth overlay (.kml file) of recommended places to fly in the county. I would appreciate your input as to where you fly yourselves so we can add it to the layer.
Please feel free to add yourselves to the group.
Thanks, Andy.

Capture.JPG

Any members out there flying in/around Birmingham who have found good places to fly?

I am a new flyer looking for a large area in NE Birmingham/Sutton Coldfield to practice. We have the expanses of Sutton Park on the doorstep but it can get busy with dog walkers, children etc at the weekend.
Hi

I have used the farmers forum/weekly website to find friendly farmers, posted on forum and had several farmers get in touch saying they would be happy for me to fly on their land

I live near Worcester, does anyone know of any drone members in this area that would care to meet up as a group on evenings for flights or to help a new pilot and where people don't have much going on family commitments etc???
Hi Woody loads of places to fly around Worcester, malvern etc, am happy to meet up

Hi Richard

New here myself too. I'm just of J9 M6 IKEA

Haven't flown yet, but will most likely at the weekend, probably locally for first flight etc

Was thinking that maybe Cannock Chase would be a good safe place to fly at some point, once I have gotten over the newbie pilot with an expensive bit of kit syndrome.

Sutton park sounds good too and I'm sure there are plenty of take off/landing areas there which are suitable and away from everyone else etc. May even venture up that way myself at some point in the near future.

Close to me is also Sandwell Valley and Walsall Arboretum, just need to find an area that is kind of secluded.

Will post more when I have gotten over first flight jitters and am comfortable with venturing out with it.
You will find some restrictions at Sutton Park, due to its proximity to the airport and being on the low flight path. I had problems with warnings at Barr beacon this morning plus a loss of connection.

I think Cannock Chase is a good bet.

Try the air map app for information on restrictions.

Also, I fly early mornings, because of nosey people. I need to concentrate when flying, both on keeping the thing flying where I want it and the video recording what I want.

Hi Richard

New here myself too. I'm just of J9 M6 IKEA

Haven't flown yet, but will most likely at the weekend, probably locally for first flight etc

Was thinking that maybe Cannock Chase would be a good safe place to fly at some point, once I have gotten over the newbie pilot with an expensive bit of kit syndrome.

Sutton park sounds good too and I'm sure there are plenty of take off/landing areas there which are suitable and away from everyone else etc. May even venture up that way myself at some point in the near future.

Close to me is also Sandwell Valley and Walsall Arboretum, just need to find an area that is kind of secluded.

Will post more when I have gotten over first flight jitters and am comfortable with venturing out with it.
I contacted Walsall council and was told you can fly in any of their green spaces but of course observe the drone code. I've noticed Brr Beacon has become a less pleasant place to fly recently. I've had two disconnections when the aircraft was about 700 feet away. You now get warnings too when you power up a Mavic air at least. Slowly I am sure, the anti drone crew will spoil the pleasure people who fly quite legally. The times I am approached with the question "is that legal" ?

Not far from the Beggar's Bush, so Sutton Park is only a short distance away. I've read Lickey Hills is okay for drone flying but I'm concerned about the drone police that think they know where you can't fly, i.e. the general public.
I have flown at lickeys without any issues

I'd recommend Sandwell valley. I've started down by the rowing club where it is a bit quieter on a normal day.

Warley Woods have also been great too. It is not a council owned space but a community trust, I've swapped their permission to fly at their events for images they can resell as Christmas cards in the local shop as a fundraiser.
I often have people come over and ask me what I'm up to, but in an inquisitive manner.
I tend to find that if you set you're self up somewhere that is easy for people to see and speak to you they get the message that you have nothing to hide. It's working for me so far.
I have also flown at sandwell valley without any issues.
not sure about warley woods as the golfers are motorios about moaning when then think people should not be on the course even though there is multiple rights of way

Hi All,
I'm a new member and have just taken delivery of a Mavic Air 2. This is my first drone and could really do with some suggestions where ti can fly safely. I live in Hayley Green, Halesowen so any suggestions would be great.

Reactions: elsmeghead
Hi All,
I'm a new member and have just taken delivery of a Mavic Air 2. This is my first drone and could really do with some suggestions where ti can fly safely. I live in Hayley Green, Halesowen so any suggestions would be great.
Hi Shents. I live close to Halesowen. Have a look my Flying Locations Map, I've just added a few more this morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: mfc
Tonight in just over an hour (11pm UK time, 23rd May) I'll be premiering the West Midlands Drone Club Meets Compilation video if you're interested. The best of the last 2 years of meet-ups flying drones around the county.

Reactions: JonnySW
Hi Shents. I live close to Halesowen. Have a look my Flying Locations Map, I've just added a few more this morning.

Hey, thanks for the map.

How did you get into Upper Bittell?
I went yesterday and the only gate I could find had what looked like an electricity station in with a sign marked private property.

I'd love to fly here and do a range test.

Hey, thanks for the map.

How did you get into Upper Bittell?
I went yesterday and the only gate I could find had what looked like an electricity station in with a sign marked private property.

I'd love to fly here and do a range test.
As you drive up Groveley Lane from Cofton Park, on the right as you near the top of the hill you'll see a large broken double metal gate. You can park there (or a little further up on the right) then go through the broken gates and follow the footpath to the left. This will take you through a gap in some gorse bushes. Once through there, head towards the clump of trees just in front of you and on the other side of those you'll see the reservoir to the right. That is where we fly from (the 3rd photo on the map pin)

As you drive up Groveley Lane from Cofton Park, on the right as you near the top of the hill you'll see a large broken double metal gate. You can park there (or a little further up on the right) then go through the broken gates and follow the footpath to the left. This will take you through a gap in some gorse bushes. Once through there, head towards the clump of trees just in front of you and on the other side of those you'll see the reservoir to the right. That is where we fly from (the 3rd photo on the map pin)
Thanks, think I've found it on the Google maps - that is right next to the wooden gate I was at, but the private property sign spooked me so I didn't go in :/

Thanks, think I've found it on the Google maps - that is right next to the wooden gate I was at, but the private property sign spooked me so I didn't go in :/
Yeah it's this one. I park in the yellow area and walk down to the gate, turn left over the gate, follow the main path through the bushes. Dog walkers use it all the time.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    353.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
View from the reservoir up to the launch point.

Attachments

• Bittel location.png
    Bittel location.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
Yeah it's this one. I park in the yellow area and walk down to the gate, turn left over the gate, follow the main path through the bushes. Dog walkers use it all the time.
Cheers buddy. I'll take a trip at some point.
Sure would be nice to be living in those houses that back onto that land.

Reactions: elsmeghead
Cheers buddy. I'll take a trip at some point.
Sure would be nice to be living in those houses that back onto that land.
I went up there on Monday to film this test of the Smatree Mavic Mini charging hub. Included a few aerial shots too

Reactions: Colt73
Hello,
I’m new here and fairly new to drone flying. I have a Mini and so far very impressed. Thanks for the map it’s great work. I live near the hawkesbury village old golf course and it’s a nice place to learn to fly. Main problem is in and around Coventry there isn’t many other flight locations unless anyone has any further ideas?
On a side not ok heading to the Lake District next week and hope to get some footage there.
Great forum and hope to post lots.

Just checking in, new member, got my pro this week and looking forward to my first proper test this week, moved from a mini a few days ago. Based in Kings Heath Birmingham so probably going to the ‘Lickeys’

Others can correct me if I'm wrong and I know its not a strict law of thumb but I'll be flying mine in public spaces outside of opening hours. What that means is, I have vast areas of land nearby which isn't farmed, nor built on because its flood plain and much as there is a river in the valley, loads of lakes, ponds, marshes there's also huge areas of open to the public land with public footpaths - few of these are paved, just exist on a map. It means I'm not trespassing and drones, they're not banned in these areas. Public parks are different but enquiries suggest - I have yet to apply for one, that it is possible to get a permit to fly from them so my advice to you is stick to areas open to the public, not National Trust land and you should be OK, just watch for things like nature reserves, they can be strictly off limits too to protect nesting sites and stuff like that too.
My understanding is that on national trust and English heritage sites, no drone flying but to my mind that's from their land and not over it, put simply they don't own or manage the airspace above their land and property so as long as the drone code is adhered to, they don't have a leg to stand on. Just my thoughts

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka