DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

West Midlands Flying areas

So, I went to Sutton Park today, in a rush so not a great result, but this should help those looking for a spot to fly... it's huge and I think a great place to explore from the air.. just keep away from animals and people... quite easy in the expanse

DJI_0105 copy.jpg DJI_0106 copy.jpg DJI_0108 copy.jpg DJI_0105 copy.jpg DJI_0106 copy.jpg DJI_0108 copy.jpg DJI_0111 copy.jpg DJI_0114 copy.jpg parkmap1a.jpg DJI_0105 copy.jpg DJI_0106 copy.jpg DJI_0108 copy.jpg DJI_0111 copy.jpg DJI_0114 copy.jpg

Reactions: uk-kenny
That looks like an awsome place for fvp flying ,how wide is the area? also its a pitty it wasnt a bit closer to kingswinford near me. i need to find some better spots near my area ,theres a lot of countryside.

Using the map and the scale, the whole area is 4km x 4km, 2.5m x 2.5m... it really is huge... the good thing being lots of space where you can avoid people.... the website does say use the dedicated flying area... I didn't know where it was until I saw fixed wing aircraft buzzing nearby... but drones and fixed wing don't play well together... and apparently they say you must be a member to fly there so, no chance...

Use this site: Find a Club... I see your nearest is Halesowen Flyers (Hayley Green) 8 miles from you [https://www.thehalesowenflyers.co.uk/]

Iv checked there site & says fixed wing only? im mainly interested in filming some nice video & fpv flying,look's like that club may possibly be just a field for flying planes possibly.

i guess il fly mine over enville for now until i find a suitable area, have u checked out cannock chase?

Was sutton park suitable for fpv flying jed?

Last edited:
Hi there, yes I'm sure FPV would be great there... bear in mind lots of wildlife in the trees and shrubs etc... so I would suggest being careful of disturbing them, as with FPV you only 'see what you see' and might unsettle them...

But it is so huge, you can pick a spot that won't disrupt people and animals I'm sure... just have a spotter as per normal

I havn't purchased my drone yet still waiting to see if the mav pro 2 is worth getting,i hear its the 23rd? Anyway regarding the wild life i wasnt looking to fly low much at all just around 100 feet high in straight lines fpv but i one problem ,i dont have anyone to fly with atm so no spotter.i might just fly local because i dont want to cause any problems. There's a nature reserve by me & a church by it with hills,fields,paths,reservoirs, i grew up here so i know the place well ,used to climb trees and make camps there as a child lol.
Il show u a pic of area see what u think .pensp.jpg

My dad takes the dog for walks around there ,he says there's never anyone in the area just 1 or 2 dog walkers at most .its around 1000 meters square. all the fields and woodlands is nature reserve & basically empty with no people most of the time.

Iv checked there site & says fixed wing only? im mainly interested in filming some nice video & fpv flying,look's like that club may possibly be just a field for flying planes possibly.

i guess il fly mine over enville for now until i find a suitable area, have u checked out cannock chase?

Was sutton park suitable for fpv flying jed?

Flown at Cannock Chase multiple times (used to live over near it), and Wife is from the area and we visit nieces and nephew's regular. Great place to fly.

Took the air with me on my Wedding Anniversary last week, and got some nice footage from Monmothshire and some of the Gloucester Cathedral too.

How about Lake Vyrnwy can we fly our drone there? or I need a permission to fly there? Just got mine last week haven't flown mine yet. Im from Shrewsbury.....

Flown at Cannock Chase multiple times (used to live over near it), and Wife is from the area and we visit nieces and nephew's regular. Great place to fly.

Took the air with me on my Wedding Anniversary last week, and got some nice footage from Monmothshire and some of the Gloucester Cathedral too.

Might give cannock a go once i get hold of a mavic 2 pro ,havn't quite got enough money yet but soon;) might even wait till next year so i can take advantage of good weather again ;) the only other place i can go is enville area ,there's a nice spot about 2 miles from bobington airport ,i think im within the safe distance from airport? other than that il keep checking on here see what other's are saying. nice video charlas.

Might give cannock a go once i get hold of a mavic 2 pro ,havn't quite got enough money yet but soon;) might even wait till next year so i can take advantage of good weather again ;) the only other place i can go is enville area ,there's a nice spot about 2 miles from bobington airport ,i think im within the safe distance from airport? other than that il keep checking on here see what other's are saying. nice video charlas.
Thanks very much [emoji4] both days I was shooting it was really windy (you can see on the trees in some of the shots) I'm surprised every time how good the little air is in the wind, better than my phantom 3 ever was in fact!

How about Lake Vyrnwy can we fly our drone there? or I need a permission to fly there? Just got mine last week haven't flown mine yet. Im from Shrewsbury.....
Airmap will probably tell you, however I've kinda taken the 'if it's not blocking me in Go4, and looks safe (people, conditions and place) then I'll fly pretty much anywhere. If people ask me to stop, or they tell me of local restriction etc, then I'll bring it down.

Else just make sure you fly safe, and have your insurance in place etc.

You mean drone insurance or puBlic liability.? I'm looking to get the 20 pound a year public liabilty insurance with fpv. Other than that I might just get a year of dji care refresh if it's worth it? Will u be getting the mavic 2 or are u sticking with mavic air? I hear the mavic air is better camera than pro 1. I'm definitely going to wait till I can afford mavic 2 pro for active track 2 and better camega though but that's going to hit my wallet hard at 1680 pound with fly more and care refresh. Hope it's worth it.

Last edited:
You mean drone insurance or puBlic liability.? I'm looking to get the 20 pound a year public liabilty insurance with fpv. Other than that I might just get a year of dji care refresh if it's worth it? Will u be getting the mavic 2 or are u sticking with mavic air? I hear the mavic air is better camera than pro 1. I'm definitely going to wait till I can afford mavic 2 pro for active track 2 and better camega though but that's going to hit my wallet hard at 1680 pound with fly more and care refresh. Hope it's worth it.
I have both, and would recommend the same ;)

you recommend having the mavic air aswell as the mavic 2 pro? even though the air is weaker in every way to the mavic 2 ? my main usage will be fpv flying and using the camera to get good shots & video's . mavic 2 camera is way superior to the air's surely? How are you finding the mavic 2 is it as good as they say?

Thanks for the air map it's really helpfull ;) the area i want to fly in looks pretty safe acording to the map. ;)

Last edited:
That's good then, the air is just Sooo much easier to actually get up in the air so to speak, it's so much smaller I take it everywhere and get shots of things I'd never get with a bigger drone. Like all cameras best one is the one you have.

The pro2/rest are undoubtedly better sensors, but if you haven't got it with you doesn't matter how good it is

Reactions: uk-kenny
That's good then, the air is just Sooo much easier to actually get up in the air so to speak, it's so much smaller I take it everywhere and get shots of things I'd never get with a bigger drone. Like all cameras best one is the one you have.

The pro2/rest are undoubtedly better sensors, but if you haven't got it with you doesn't matter how good it is

Oh i see the mavic air is more convenient for travelling etc,well i don't do much of that atm so il stick with the mavic 2 pro since my flying will be purely organised,il probably take a backpack with 3 batterys & the mavic 2 pro & just park up somewhere , walk around with backpack ;) i havn't got it yet iv been waiting for reviews etc and availability,seems hard to get one right now ,all shops say preorder ,probably best to wait for teething problems to pass & to be able to buy it without preorder.

Whats the fpv footage like charlas? are u using an iphone for screen? i was worried about not being able to see my screen in sunlight.

I use my S9+ and have a lenovo tab 8 Pro (or whatever it's called) as well, but mostly use my Samsung for Everything, mainly because always have it and its always charged [emoji4]

what would u suggest i use as a fpv screen ? i only have an old samsung j3 that i use as a pay and go phone for emergencys.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU