DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What’s up with all the drone haters???

Nature Conservancy is a private non-profit. They try to keep their reserves managed for wildlife protection and for their wilderness value. Public use is only allowed as a secondary objective if it does not conflict with the main purpose of the reserve.

I fully support protecting such a place from noisy and intrusive drones and was more about being the Devil’s advocate.

If someone really wanted to push the point by taking off and landing outside of the preserve’s boundaries then I suppose that they would have the legal right to do a fly-over.

So now I’m suggesting that the FAA needs to seriously consider this kind of situation and work with local authorities to allow them to control the airspace over locations such as Blowing Rocks.

Reactions: AMann
I fully support protecting such a place from noisy and intrusive drones and was more about being the Devil’s advocate.

If someone really wanted to push the point by taking off and landing outside of the preserve’s boundaries then I suppose that they would have the legal right to do a fly-over.

So now I’m suggesting that the FAA needs to seriously consider this kind of situation and work with local authorities to allow them to control the airspace over locations such as Blowing Rocks.

Its hard to get FAA to change flight restrictions over wildlife reserves, I used to be a naturalist at a government owned wildlife reserve and the manager tried for years to get it changed so that helicopters couldn't practice touch and go landings over a peak where we had peregrine falcons nesting, they couldn’t get it done!

• Sad
Reactions: deleted member 877
Blowing Rocks is indeed on Jupiter Island, Florida (should have listed that in my earlier comment!) and there is a real probability of nesting birds. My hope had been an offshore flight to photograph and video the rocks and waves from the ocean perspective. North and South of the preserve are homes and condos directly on the beach which do not allow access to the beach from the roadway nor is there parking. Otherwise, I would consider launching form another location and flying over the ocean until I could achieve the photos I wanted. Kind of a bypass of their rules, but it would not even include a flyover of the actual preserve at all. Only flying over the ocean 75-100 feet offshore. Ahh, well. Not meant to be I guess.

Reactions: AMann
Ahh, well. Not meant to be I guess.

Well, someone was game enough to take some drone footage there. Scroll to 1 minute 55 seconds in this video (see link below). You can even see the shadow of the drone on the rocks as it whizzes by.

The video was taken three years ago - possibly before the “no drones allowed” rule was introduced.

Sadly, the negative perception stems from irresponsible drone operators, or those who believe that regulations are stripping away their ‘freedom’.
What about the the freedom of the thousands of passengers aloft in full sized aircraft? Do they not have the freedom to expect safe airspace in which to fly?
As pilot of both manned and unmanned aircraft, I myself am extremely negative toward much of what I witness among ‘drone pilots’ and their actions/words that show a complete disregard for the safety of other airspace users and utter disrespect for regulation in many cases.
You make your own bed. Every single rogue pilot who does not comply to the ever increasing laws - is the reason for the negative perception by civilians and regulatory bodies’ pushing for tighter control.

Sad. This post shows how even Droners can't get a long. The pointing of fingers is pathetic and only causes more divide.
Non droners will never understand us because we don't even understand the complexity of the situation. We must come up with common ground so we can truly unite. Unfortunately, I am not sure what that is. Does anyone?

Sad. This post shows how even Droners can't get a long. The pointing of fingers is pathetic and only causes more divide.
Non droners will never understand us because we don't even understand the complexity of the situation. We must come up with common ground so we can truly unite. Unfortunately, I am not sure what that is. Does anyone?

Non-droners are people just like you and me.

I find many of them understand fine and respect those who respect them and their disdain for the same people who we also cringe over, the ones who fly fast and loose and put anything and everything at risk.

Just because people have differences of opinion does not mean that they are not getting along. As long as the dialogue is respectful then everything is progressing as good as anyone can expect.

Expect things to change a lot as more drones take to the air, especially if commercial delivery drones are to occupy the same 0-400 AGL airspace. So we all either get onboard with steering it in terms of policy or it changes without our input. But it will change, that we know for sure.

Reactions: deleted member 877

You know what? I'm never going to be able to "get along" with those who come on here to boast about their stupid and illegal exploits. One of many such posts on this forum follows:-

"Oh God. Always the drone police who crawl out of their rocks. I fly BVLOS almost exclusively. Last week I flew out 8400m/5.2 miles. Landed it at 1% battery. The product is literally marketed to fly up to 5 miles.

I also have altitude restrictions removed on my P4P and am testing altitude removal on my M2. I consistently fly 5000ft up with the M2. I’ve taken the P4P up past 10000ft. At night.

I just use Flightradar24 for high altitude flights. And as for BVLOS- you have an RTH button. It works.

So- to all the drone police there, have fun amongst yourselves."

Wow, this guy is such a hero!! Why wouldn't I want to be his BFF ? LOL. But seriously, these kinds of posts like the one above should be deleted.

Reactions: LaminarFly
Can't remember if I've posted in this thread before..

For me, I just want to be able to fly for fun, 90% of the time in "shielded operation" (as NZ defines as no higher than the nearest tree/building/structure).

As long as a drone operator isn't being disrespectful or a real danger to immediate public or wildlife in the area, Ie zipping inches/cm's over their heads, chasing wildlife around and generally being a nuisance.

Let them get their shots/footage and move on for continued enjoyment of everyone else.

For the most part (except for the Mavic Air) most drones are quiet in comparison to ambient noises in most locations, beaches, waterfalls, etc. I'm also thinking council workers mowing public parks, noise of traffic, noise of boats/jetski's on the water, etc as well..

If the public are going to really get their noses that far out of joint over someone flying in a respectful manner, they might want to have a good hard look at themselves first, even apply a small amount of respect towards others while they are at it.

Bit of devils advocate for both sides of the debate, if you find yourself being offended regularly of other people's actions - take a couple minutes to watch this:

This whole thing is a two way street.

Haters gonna hate
Rotors gonna rotate

Reactions: passedpawn
Just this morning, an unidentified drone shut down the international airport where I am currently visiting. So a few thousand people were inconvenienced by an inconsiderate and reckless drone operator for about two hours (to get things back on track).

These are the rogues who will forever ensure that regulations get tighter and tighter. These are the ones who need the fingers pointed at them.

We create all the animosity toward our group. Only we can change that perception. But if you cannot understand the reasons for most regulation, then I’m not sure if you’re able to handle the responsibility of occupying airspace.

These are the rogues who will forever ensure that regulations get tighter and tighter. These are the ones who need the fingers pointed at them.

Trouble is, they need to be caught first.
No good just bringing in tighter laws without proper enforcement of existing ones, laws we have now in place would be ample to stop such actions.

Once caught, they need to be prosecuted properly with decent sentencing, to deter other people who are either unaware or simply ignore the rules.

Deterring others from ignoring the rules and probable legal action is a matter of the news reaching those segments of the community.
Probably the best, most certain way to do that is to make all consumer drone sales dependent on a purchaser having a licence of some sort, or no sale.

Otherwise, advertising on TV etc might be needed to get info to the general public.
It's very likely only a small fraction of hobbyist drone flyers visit forums like this one.

That is exactly why in regular aviation, pilots have to police one another, as well as themselves. Until we are emotionally mature enough to realize that by busting the laws we are not doing ourselves favors, regulation will continue to strangle us.

Reactions: BigAl07 and KS-6
Until we are emotionally mature enough to realize that by busting the laws we are not doing ourselves favors, regulation will continue to strangle us.

Wasn't aware airplane pilots policed themselves and other pilots.
I guess when they have perhaps up to 100's of lives under their control it is an occupation that requires by the book protocol.

I'm afraid once drone regulations are in, as they are in most developed countries now, regulation will never take a backwards step.
We're stuck with what we have and just have to try and ensure we don't do silly things to bring in even more restrictions.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4