DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What’s your max distance legal VLOS flight?

No you didn't

The visual acuity or spatial resolution of the human eye is 1 arc second or 1/60th of a degree

An object as small as a Mavic would not be perceptible to unaided human vision at that distance.

Unless, perhaps you are Clark Kent, and even he wears glasses.
Ah! But maybe one of his eyes aren’t HUMAN! It totally happens! I saw a documentary about it! Or maybe it was an episode of ‘Six Million Dollar Man’, I dunno.

Your almost certainly only a rank amateur at best. If you had real skills you would realise that doubling your altitude to 800ft would have given you increased VLOS and greater range.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Yes, but flying over 400 feet AGL is illegal. Thumbswayup[emoji1303][emoji16]
so is flying 11,000 ft away ,and worse still claiming you could still see the bloody thing (sorry amazing drone)

in the spirit of fairness maybe your claim was a typing error and you really meant to say 1,100 ft which would be possible

Maybe it’s possible if you have a pair of binoculars strapped to your head!?

No you didn't

The visual acuity or spatial resolution of the human eye is 1 arc second or 1/60th of a degree

An object as small as a Mavic would not be perceptible to unaided human vision at that distance.

Unless, perhaps you are Clark Kent, and even he wears glasses.
A degree is 60 min. an arc second 1/3600 of a degree. Either way he won't see it. The Sun and Moon are 1/2 degree wide in the sky, or 30 min.

Yeah I got to add my voice to the chorus of 'oh no you didn't!!' I don't care how good your eye sight is, no one can see a Mavic 11,000 ft away. I doubt it is even possible with strobes. Perhaps you were able to find it with binoculars or a spotting scope after some searching but that doesn't count as VLOS.

This has been hashed before and honesty is never part of the discussion. Anyway here goes, in general VLOS does not exist with many actual flights due to trees, buildings, bridges and other obstacles that you are flying around. VLOS is only meaningful during litigation but has no realistic influence on most flights. I am currently under hire to do some street mapping and even at 300 feet the drone is on it's own as the tree are in the way. I just let Litchi run the mission and keep an eye on the screen VLOS is non-existent. But then again I am being honest about it which does not apply in these discussions.

BTW there is another posting on this very site asking what is the maximum distance you can fly your drone definitely not in the VLOS spectrum.

Reactions: Drgnfli and lrsn
well all i can say is what height are you flying at, because they must be very tall trees ,if you cannot see your drone, but being honest about it does not make it right, you are breaking the rules no matter how you dress it up

Indeed. Even as a relative novice pilot I use a similar technique. Its called practice and depends critically on being able to see it so limit it to <500 m and not so high my arthritic neck suffers and needs a chiropractor.

People who think it is great to fly miles at altitude while maintaining VLOS (you kidding?) and so making them some sort of superhero in their empty heads, remind me of those folk who can exceed the drink driving limit because they can take their liquor and know they are perfectly able to be in control ... until ... Usually someone else on the receiving end. Same with drones. Very few pilots get hit.

We wonder why there are moves everywhere to place restrictions on drone flying? Look no further these idiots fly amongst us
Just look at another popular post this week where a pilot was surprised he was reported for fly across the deck of a ship carrying dangerous cargo. No wonder we are constantly viewed with disdain. Common sense goes a long way but unfortunately it’s not sold as part of the drone package.

Honestly I try to keep my drones within like 1200 to 1500 feet. Beyond that it's hard to see.

I always try to fly with a VO. My poor old tired eyes aren't near as good as they used to be.

Reactions: rob levine
so is flying 11,000 ft away ,and worse still claiming you could still see the bloody thing (sorry amazing drone)

in the spirit of fairness maybe your claim was a typing error and you really meant to say 1,100 ft which would be possible

It all depends on how big your drone is...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi