DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What’s your max distance legal VLOS flight?

I don't understand.
DJI supposidly knows the FAA Rules.
They certainly know of the VLOS Rule.
Why do they make Drones and advertise a 5 mile range?
(how is 5 miles away VLOS) ??

I don't understand.
although DJI make the drone they dont make the rules for legal flight, just because your car can do 120 mph does not mean it legal, the reason the drone can go so far is more to do with signal reliability at range ie ocusync, if where you fly does not have the VLOS restriction then you would be able to fly further and so would your drone

And there's always the possibility FAA will relax the VLOS requirements to some extent. Also depending on the circumstances of the flight, a part 107 pilot might be able to get a waiver.

Reactions: old man mavic
although DJI make the drone they dont make the rules for legal flight, just because your car can do 120 mph does not mean it legal, the reason the drone can go so far is more to do with signal reliability at range ie ocusync, if where you fly does not have the VLOS restriction then you would be able to fly further and so would your drone

I also like the fact that having the range (higher transmitting power levels) allows it to more effectively overcome any local interference one may encounter, even when flying close by.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbooty
There are many.... you can look them all up in this document/website:

I don't need to look them up.
The guys on this thread that only think VLOS only applies to the USA need to look them up ;)

Reactions: Thomas B
my eyes must be bad. at 100ft I'm like that joint is somewhere up there. somewhere.

I have a bionic eye like the 6 million dollar man but haven't really measured it.

what a crock! Having had light aircraft traffic called out to me by ATC over several thousand hours I know that I'm not likely to spot a small aircraft two miles away even when I know exactly where to look and at what altitude. You may have seen something but you didn't see your drone and even if you did I doubt if you could properly control it using line of sight. There would be no problem controlling the drone using the camera of course.

I agree with you hiflyer, guess it's like the fish that got away. There goes CAS, UFOs maybe.
dirkclod.5 I can't stop laughing (and I'm at work) which makes it worst!!!! Dang! My side hurts . . . .

The force is strong with you, tell us your secret StarWalker. Pineland is in need of warriors like you,,,

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I don't need to look them up.
The guys on this thread that only think VLOS only applies to the USA need to look them up ;)

Nobody thinks its only in the US, and you have to agree that having the transmitting power to actually go that far means a more dependable link for VLOS flight in radio interference rich environments.

A couple of days ago I flew my Mavic Pro Platinum 400 feet AGL and 11,000 feet out while maintaining VLOS the whole time with no strobes. What’s your max VLOS flight? Thumbswayup[emoji1303][emoji16]
And I believe in Father Christmas.

Is it me or are there idiots that just always want to go against the rules. It seems that there is some on this site that is always trying to buck the system. If you can’t follow simple rule, laws. DONT FLY!!

I’m really contemplating the use of this site. You don’tget Idiots like this on DroneU. They won’t tolerate it. #droneu

I don't understand.

A question I don't want answered! All DJI will do is put more restrictions into their software to ensure we fly VLOS. BVLOS happens, leave it alone!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000