DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What a dumb mistake!!

Jboogey

Reactions
Newbie mistake, I don’t like myself right now. Just went for a maiden voyage with my brand new Mini 2. I was flying it over the river trying to get great footage where the river flows through an aqueduct. I had plenty of space and was not close to any walls. The water was flowing quite strong. I suspect the fast flowing water created a wind turbine that was too much for the small drone. It got tossed like a salad, and into the raging river it went. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb. Pretty expensive mistake. The SD card was in the drone instead of the Smart controller as well. Does anyone have just the Mini 2 drone for sale?

Reactions: DronePanorama
Newbie mistake, I don’t like myself right now. Just went for a maiden voyage with my brand new Mini 2. I was flying it over the river trying to get great footage where the river flows through an aqueduct. I had plenty of space and was not close to any walls. The water was flowing quite strong. I suspect the fast flowing water created a wind turbine that was too much for the small drone. It got tossed like a salad, and into the raging river it went. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb. Pretty expensive mistake. The SD card was in the drone instead of the Smart controller as well. Does anyone have just the Mini 2 drone for sale?

So you can get just the Mini 2 from DJI , just open a chat with them and they can send you a link if you do not find it on your own. The SD card is suppose to be in the Drone not the SC so that is normal. Many of us seasoned pilots have made mistakes like that and it just part of the learning what your drone is really capable of.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain , Capture the Storm.

If you recovered the drone the mSD card should be readable apart from, perhaps, the last video if the drone was recording when it went into the water. I have recovered all the videos from the mSD card of a drone that spent several days in the sea.

So you can get just the Mini 2 from DJI , just open a chat with them and they can send you a link if you do not find it on your own. The SD card is suppose to be in the Drone not the SC so that is normal. Many of us seasoned pilots have made mistakes like that and it just part of the learning what your drone is really capable of.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain , Capture the Storm.
Thank you very much

I was flying it over the river trying to get great footage where the river flows through an aqueduct. I had plenty of space and was not close to any walls. The water was flowing quite strong. I suspect the fast flowing water created a wind turbine that was too much for the small drone. It got tossed like a salad, and into the raging river it went.

Hopefully you can get a replacement drone and battery for a reasonable price from DJI.

Were you IN the / a tunnel then ?
If so, you most likely lost GPS and went into atti mode, which can be a lot harder to control.
If you wanted confirmation of this, you can likely get the txt file from the SC, and post to the Crash section for analysis.

All the best with the new drone when you find the suitable deal.

Dont be too hard on yourself. I think We’ve all been there at one time or another and can still occur to the most experienced pilots.
Fly drones & Crash drones. That’s the learning curve getting you. It’s gotten me too. Flysafe and Godspeed, I bet you’ll be back up soon! Droniac

Need a lot of experience to fly without GPS. If a drone can’t see the sky it will automatically go into atti mode. Better luck next time but stay out of tunnels or under bridges. Low over water can also cause problems with the sensor as it can’t see the ground.

Reactions: Jboogey
Wind around waterfalls or other areas where water is moving fast and turbulent is nasty. I fly a lot of waterfalls - my crack I guess - and if we've had a good rain in last day or two - Spidey senses tell me to stay a good distance away and up high - as even an Air2 can get moved around quite a bit more than a Mini2.

Yet, flying a drone is learning experience and sometimes we crash them. I crashed my Mini into a trestle bridge about 3 months in. It happens and we move on. DJI will sell you a drone and battery - separate charges in my case. Unless you can convince them about "flyaway / refresh" and they give you a discount - they typically charge what any other seller will. They'll also want the log files from your phone or SC to boot.

That's why I suggest / recommend 3rd party insurance from like State Farm instead of DJI - as it's possibly cheaper and they will replace a drone almost no matter what - where DJI will not. You also don't have to go thru the DJI Gauntlet either. I think SF allows a couple of drone losses on their policy, but you'd want to verify that. Some insurance co's are expensive and will cancel you after first loss - you check wisely if you go that route.

Ok you should probably watch a few videos re flying over water. The sensors on the bottom don’t like water or snow or fields of grass with no structure. It has to do with the optical sensors and infrared sensors not getting the data they need. There are lots of crashes involving water. However there are many that are successful but thats with a learning curv.

The water was flowing quite strong. I suspect the fast flowing water created a wind turbine that was too much for the small drone. It got tossed like a salad, and into the raging river it went.
It would be interesting to find out what actually happened to your drone, as it's not clear from your description.
Post your flight data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

If you recovered the drone the mSD card should be readable apart from, perhaps, the last video if the drone was recording when it went into the water. I have recovered all the videos from the mSD card of a drone that spent several days in the sea.
Yup. Solid state and very reliable if it can be recovered. Back in the old, old days, there were these things called "micro drives" and they were horrible, with moving parts, they were literally mini hard drives that fit into a compact flash slot. drop it from the camera and it was toast. Hope you were able to recover.

Cordially,

Mark

If you paid for it with a credit card, check with the credit card company. Some of them have policies where if anything happens to your purchase within an initial time period of purchasing it, they will replace it!

Hi and commiserations Jboogey,

Don’t be too hard on yourself I am another newbie who had a similar experience a couple of months ago. I subsequently found out from this and other forums that many people have similar tales.

Good luck with getting a replacement and I wish you many happy hours of safe flying.

Best wishes,

Brian

Don’t be too hard on yourself I am another newbie who had a similar experience a couple of months ago. I subsequently found out from this and other forums that many people have similar tales.
Except that we've never found out what caused his incident, which would help to prevent similar incidents in future.

Jboogey, Sorry for your loss. Drones aren’t rocket science when it comes to flying, but, I feel that one of the greatest offerings from DJI is Care Refresh. Why? Being new to droning and more than likely being a new drone owner it is nice to have that ease of mind when learning the controls. Up until your new drone feels like a true extension of your body and mind…have Care Refresh. After you are more than comfortable with your new drone…then you can decide if you need CR any more.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Oh ya, don’t fly under bridges or piers if you don’t know for sure there is fishing line hanging from them. The latter is a recipe for disaster. 👍

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent