DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Altitude do you fly at?

I bet it’s just matter of time as people get use to them that it becomes just another sound we don’t consciously notice like a motorcycle or truck driving by.

Huh? Motorcycles and trucks are always annoying (especiall two-stroke cycles, that smell, too). I cannot imagine them ever being a "sound we don’t consciously notice" unless you live in a city and have music constantly playing in your ears through an over-ear headset... :)

Reactions: Drgnfli
I live in a residential neighborhood with lots of alpha neighbors. I get it high fast. out of sight out of mind.

I live in a residential neighborhood with lots of alpha neighbors. I get it high fast. out of sight out of mind.

That's good .. but my Mavic is clearly audible at 120m (and that's with the 'quieter' props). Pretty much out of sight, it's true, but not out of hearing...

If I launch where people are nearby, I take it up (straight up) to about 200 or more and move out from there. I tend to take pictures at lower altitudes (50' or less) so I try to find places that are void of people to set up my photographic targets. I don't try to occupy an area for long periods of time that is easily accessable to the public and cop an I'm here first attitude. If someone walks in where I'm working and I feel I might disturb them, I usually head out as soon as possible.

Usually no lower than 20m when taking a close pic. No lower than 60m when anywhere near people. Sometimes higher.

I try not to annoy people. I got spotted at a beach once and there were adverse comments in the local on-line rag. I came down to 20m to take a couple of pics but not looking at people. Someone close got the wrong idea. Also 30m to take pictures of surfers who waved so seemed to be ok with it.

*see Above
I was playing golf the other day and someone was following us around with a Platinum.
It was kind of Funny, but got old after about 5 mins.

It was probably some kid who got a Mavic for his B'day (lucky kid) and was just having fun, but I couldn't
deny it was ferking annoying having a drone at even 30 metres away.

Me personally, I dont like people to even know there is a drone above except at takeoff/landing.
What do you think?
That sounds super annoying. As our rules in Canada are quite specific, always fly a minimum of 50m high,it’s a nice altitude to minimize the buzz. I never personally fly anywhere close to people. As you mention,it’s annoying to people. I don’t want to bother innocent golf players with my hobby,it’s disrespectful! I normally go to the max allowable of 100m mostly because I just like the view.

Reactions: mfc
About 20' above the highest tree in my area which equals about 100' above my takeoff spot. If I fly any distance, I am even higher as I live on the highest hill in my neighborhood.

I guess we aren’t as saturated in Australia as the U.S.
I’ve only seen a mavic once up the north coast. Didn’t see the pilot anywhere and I’m sure it was BVLOS. But I didn’t let it stress me
Same here. Never seen another drone here.

Same here. Never seen another drone here.

When I call the airfield near me, I've asked how many other UAV pilots they get calls from. They've said only me & two others. And like you, I have never seen another drone anywhere I fly within a 50 mile radius of my home.

if you've ever looked at the video taken from your drone you will have to admit that you have flown over people, Highways, railroads... the list goes on. If someone is looking at the drone you are probably too low...I'm thinking.
I'm actually a little worried about flying at the 399 foot level as Helicopters can pop up out of anywhere.
Invasion of privacy is a concern..but heck..anyone with a cell phone can be as invasive

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan