DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the odds of DJI releasing a firmware update that adds manual ISO and/or Active Track?

Why would DJI give you functionality that you need now to pay $800 for for $400?
Because they already have. It’s called the DJI Spark. And as I mentioned in my original comment literally the only reason I ask this is because technically it’s already on the drone. It’s not a matter of pulling from a wishlist of things I wish they’d add. It’s a matter of a form of these things already on it that just need “unlocked.”

Why would DJI give you functionality that you need now to pay $800 for for $400?
Not tracking ya... you’re indicating “if” already in the Mini and not utilized? Or towards Spark?

I’m assuming you’re indicating IC is not in the Mini? Disagree. More costly NOT to have it if the end-goal is introducing later a Pro model and need multiple IC units.

Why on large platform... the M600Pro not able to use various cameras for no other reason than allowing within Firmware... nothing more than a firmware restriction. Same for Inspire2, no reason it can’t use the XT or XT2 other than a Firmware restriction... and on the A3Pro & Lightbridge 2 package on a S1000 build (All DJI) not able to use XT2... it’s exact same electronics within M600Pro, same software, no difference other than Firmware restrictions.... the M200 series Ver 1 not able to use X7 camera, Ver 2 can... both can use X4S & X5S... no reason other than a Firmware restrictions. The Mavic 2 Enterprise series not able to use Go4 app or Mavic 2 not able to use Pilot app.... nothing more than Firmware restrictions.

All keyed toward sales and marketing.

They actually had 1 opps... year or so back. The M600Pro wasn’t suppose to be able to use the XT2. They wanted that reserved for newer crafts from M200 series upward. A Firmware / Go4 update accidentally had that not blocked in coding... and several suddenly noticed the XT2 was recognized. They changed / updated their documentation to include the XT2... previously indicated only the XT.

All Firmware restrictions... not hardware limitations on any of the above examples. Driven by marketing new models and sales.

Nope. The Spark camera hardware was more than capable of filming 4K.
The spark has the Myriad 2 for computer vision and core image processing duties (4K @60FPS). Do we know what image processor is in the mini? Absence of OA suggests unlikely to be a Myriad.

Says who?
It only has a two axis gimbal. DJI made up for a lack of a third axis by putting in a 4K camera then cropping the image down to 1080p. This is a fairly common practice in drone manufacturing. The Breeze did the same thing as does the Anafi.

Reactions: GarthH
Likely a Mini Pro will have to be bigger to accommodate the cooling and electrical power to handle the bigger CPU/memory.
Not necessarily. Look at the specs on the Myriad 2. 4K 60 FPS with OA and other machine vision features. Less than 500mw power consumption.

Not tracking ya... you’re indicating “if” already in the Mini and not utilized? Or towards Spark?

I’m assuming you’re indicating IC is not in the Mini? Disagree. More costly NOT to have it if the end-goal is introducing later a Pro model and need multiple IC units.

Why on large platform... the M600Pro not able to use various cameras for no other reason than allowing within Firmware... nothing more than a firmware restriction. Same for Inspire2, no reason it can’t use the XT or XT2 other than a Firmware restriction... and on the A3Pro & Lightbridge 2 package on a S1000 build (All DJI) not able to use XT2... it’s exact same electronics within M600Pro, same software, no difference other than Firmware restrictions.... the M200 series Ver 1 not able to use X7 camera, Ver 2 can... both can use X4S & X5S... no reason other than a Firmware restrictions. The Mavic 2 Enterprise series not able to use Go4 app or Mavic 2 not able to use Pilot app.... nothing more than Firmware restrictions.

All keyed toward sales and marketing.

They actually had 1 opps... year or so back. The M600Pro wasn’t suppose to be able to use the XT2. They wanted that reserved for newer crafts from M200 series upward. A Firmware / Go4 update accidentally had that not blocked in coding... and several suddenly noticed the XT2 was recognized. They changed / updated their documentation to include the XT2... previously indicated only the XT.

All Firmware restrictions... not hardware limitations on any of the above examples. Driven by marketing new models and sales.
Another good example was DJI’s Naza lite and V2. One was twice the price. Identical hardware. A firmware flash upgraded the light without any other changes required.

It only has a two axis gimbal. DJI made up for a lack of a third axis by putting in a 4K camera then cropping the image down to 1080p. This is a fairly common practice in drone manufacturing. The Breeze did the same thing as does the Anafi.
Interesting... you've pointed out a question I've haven't considered. Being a fan of the Anafi Thermal, I've been impressed with the RGB camera side on the little craft.
Good points on the 4K & cropping; I realized the Spark & Breeze cropped for gimbal, and the Anafi used same electronic stabilization principle for Yaw. Although the Anafi does provide a 4K output so is that indicting the camera is higher resolution prior to stabilizing cropping or Anafi's camera is a 4K with electronic stabilization without cropping?

Reactions: Lastrexking
Another good example was DJI’s Naza lite and V2. One was twice the price. Identical hardware. A firmware flash upgraded the light without any other changes required.
Very good example: I recall that, it actually was 2 identical models except for Firmware. Best example yet that indicates advanced hardware/features included and not accessed due to FW restrictions. Another good example displaying the practice of minimal duplication of components, same components used but not utilized in same potential based on FW limitations.

Interesting... you've pointed out a question I've haven't considered. Being a fan of the Anafi Thermal, I've been impressed with the RGB camera side on the little craft.
Good points on the 4K & cropping; I realized the Spark & Breeze cropped for gimbal, and the Anafi used same electronic stabilization principle for Yaw. Although the Anafi does provide a 4K output so is that indicting the camera is higher resolution prior to stabilizing cropping or Anafi's camera is a 4K with electronic stabilization without cropping?
I’m not sure it does have a higher than 4K camera. The Breeze has a 4K camera, but only cropped when filming in 1080. If you actually filmed in 4K the footage was unusable. Maybe the Anafi does that? Not 100% but I bet there’s a YouTube video out there.

I’m not sure it does have a higher than 4K camera. The Breeze has a 4K camera, but only cropped when filming in 1080. If you actually filmed in 4K the footage was unusable. Maybe the Anafi does that? Not 100% but I bet there’s a YouTube video out there.
Yep, something to explore.
The videos & reviews I have found previously commented highly on it's 4K/30, with 100 mb throughput... just assumed they utilized an electronic stabilization. I'll go back and review again with more focus on that area.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Yep, something to explore.
The videos & reviews I have found previously commented highly on it's 4K/30, with 100 mb throughput... just assumed they utilized an electronic stabilization. I'll go back and review again with more focus on that area.
Thanks for pointing that out.
You’re welcome. I’d be interested to know what you find.

They added features to the regular ronin S in a firmware update after the features came out on the new SC.
Good find, didn't even look at the non-drone products.

Several examples of DJI using components (hardware and IC's) that have greater potential than utilized either initially or within one model to the next.

The rational is usually market & sales focused. Back to the Mini and new App... The camera when in photo mode does have shutter & iso if I've understood various reviews and spec sheet. Not a available in video mode, and that to me isn't much of a question, they'll add it in short order most likely to video side too.

The App will develope, and reflect these new features. In addition more flight features too.
As in other related thread on Mini App, in my opinion (no facts) the Go4 app is nearing end of development and entering maintence only similar to Go3 app. The new developing App will most likely be a replacement or reserved for new platforms similar to the initial start of the Go4 App.

Can anyone explain why DJI wouldn't be able to at least update firmware/software to allow control of the Mini using the smartphone only. As long as you need to schlep an RC along, the Mini is not the ultraportable drone it is marketed to be. Gesture control would be the cherry on top, but requiring the RC is a major misstep that should be easily fixable, right?

Can anyone explain why DJI wouldn't be able to at least update firmware/software to allow control of the Mini using the smartphone only. As long as you need to schlep an RC along, the Mini is not the ultraportable drone it is marketed to be. Gesture control would be the cherry on top, but requiring the RC is a major misstep that should be easily fixable, right?
Not to be naive... but has this been verified yet by any of the Reviewers? I personally don't use a phone only connection due to signal strength, so hadn't paid any attention.

It's wifi wireless... referred to as Enhanced Wireless, is that the limited factor? Could the Mavic Air be used without RC unit... it would be the same for Mini? If not, I'd assume the enhanced wireless uses a transmission protocol that a phone's wifi is unable to duplicate.

If it's transmission of signal, then FW wouldn't correct unless it downgraded the signal to standard wireless or protocol... what ever the enhanced wireless means.

Not to be naive... but has this been verified yet by any of the Reviewers? I personally don't use a phone only connection due to signal strength, so hadn't paid any attention.

It's wifi wireless... referred to as Enhanced Wireless, is that the limited factor? Could the Mavic Air be used without RC unit... it would be the same for Mini? If not, I'd assume the enhanced wireless uses a transmission protocol that a phone's wifi is unable to duplicate.

If it's transmission of signal, then FW wouldn't correct unless it downgraded the signal to standard wireless or protocol... what ever the enhanced wireless means.
It’s been confirmed by DJI.

Edit - updated with source Can you fly without the remote (phone only)?

Last edited:
Tesla is adding software features in updates all the time, this is the way of the future and to please users.

If sales start to slip against a competitor, then DJI may 'enable' certain features on the Mavic Mini to keep things 'fresh' ...... But hey, it's an entry level drone built for a certain market and it probably wont happen. I for one would like to have 1 Smart Controller for ALL my DJI drones, but sadly, although this is very possible, DJI think otherwise....I have a redundant CrystalSky and would like to use that with the Mini, but no again.... In an ideal world...yada yada ....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying