DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the odds of DJI releasing a firmware update that adds manual ISO and/or Active Track?

treehouse1441

Reactions
The drone is fully capable of these things, so it’s not really a matter hardware limitations to keep things cheap/light. Nor is it a matter of marketing their other drones seeing as to how the Spark had both of these features while still being DJI’s entry level drone. So what do you think? Do you see it happening? Is it even possible? Have we seen DJI add features to drones via firmware updates before or has it all just been simple bug fixes? To be honest it really isn’t a matter of “adding,” it’s more about “unlocking” features that are technically already there. That’s literally the only reason why I ask this question because it’s a gray area. The features are on the drone technically.

Last edited:
I doubt it. You mentioned the Spark - when that came out people pestered and pestered for 4K and other features, and they never added them.

I doubt it. You mentioned the Spark - when that came out people pestered and pestered for 4K and other features, and they never added them.
Well that example actually is a matter of limitations of hardware though. A 1080p camera is a 1080p camera. No amount of software can change that.

Active Track is literally already being used when doing quick shots. And manual ISO usable on photo mode.

Last edited:
Nope, won’t happen. As a marketed beginner drone, they’ll make you move up the lineup for advanced features.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Well that example actually is a matter of limitations of hardware though. Active Track is literally already being used when doing quick shots. And ISO is ISO.
Nope. The Spark camera hardware was more than capable of filming 4K.

Absolutely, Practically a certainty!
It‘s a given, features will be added to firmware. Plus, in my opinion a Mini Pro will be released that adds on the missing hardware side.

This is a new market segment... Basically devised by DJI to create new sales venue: the Ultra Light, Compact Small package with advanced technology reserved for higher end platforms a few years back. Even with included applied tariffs, it also makes a big impact on price.. beating even the Sparks intro price without an RC included. To make a grand market launch with product, it was vital getting under the 250g mark to make headlines, articles and all the “by mouth“ chatter & advertisment on stability, ease of flying, compact carry, included RC, etc and ample time to get it out & on the shelves before Holiday season! This will all stimulate impressive sales... the Mini in short time will probably out sell numbers for both Spark & Mavic Air.

The weight of 1 gram under is more marketing ploy than any other point. It doesn’t dismiss meeting any regulations to Fly or the Zones restricted (USA). Regarding weight; If anything is placed on craft... the advertised DJI decal stickers, soon to release skin wraps, the prop cage, extension legs, Cree LED’s... anything added moves the craft into the required Registration category... it’s based on Fly weight, not initial weight.

Hardware Updates - Mini Pro, the actual targeted “intended” end-goal designed product that didn’t make weight.
So the 249g was more marketing hype, needed to thin it back enough to pass weight and gain all the “Free” advertisement being under regulation weight. Once name & product are established, introduce a Mini Pro version that fills the Ft Nose “fake holes“ (maybe the other fuselage blanks too) with avoidance sensors and tweak or change camera to 4K with higher rates. Won’t matter at that point if 10-12g heftier; the new “Pro“ label will stimulate another round of excited sales!

Software - Features:
As indicated above, Mini basically already contains the required IC to provide all the missing features: ie ActiveTrack, Pano, etc... plus maybe a few more.
This is also a new software program... why? It wasn’t needed to fly the Mini, it‘s radio similar to the established Mavic Air. Adding Mini code to Go4 wasn’t a challenge, it’s already bloated. The last time a new app was created was to take a new direction in electronics: Go3 to Go4.

A new app also takes time to develop... it‘s plausible it too is being enhanced and developed. Completing non-essential flight features may not have been a priority to meet market release.

That’s my 2 cents on it... let’s see where it goes!
The Mavic Mini isn’t due to officially release for 10 days... FW updates or any enhancements are a ways out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Baish
Adding software based features would require more flash ROM to store the larger firmware, probably more RAM and CPU to run the extras efficiently. We just don't know what's inside.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Adding software based features would require more flash ROM to store the larger firmware, probably more RAM and CPU to run the extras efficiently. We just don't know what's inside.
exactly... I'm assuming plenty of room to spare. As cheap as circuits are... the only issue on this build was weight limitations. I'm pretty confident with my above post, my thought path is they intended more for the Mini than produced... Time & Weight were limitations. If it's got the CPU to run the features installed, it'll run the missing features and the 3rd Party Apps. DJI aren't new to the game, they know the 3rd Party support equates to sales and larger base, they aren't going to limit a new platform over $2 chips & $4 Memory. They want this platform to become a new market, they're not looking to introduce a caped product out of the gate. I see a Mini Pro no later than Spring... just long enough to sell good numbers on Mini and then inject a new stimulus with Mini Pro with the features Buyers are expressing. Win Win!

Likely a Mini Pro will have to be bigger to accommodate the cooling and electrical power to handle the bigger CPU/memory.

Likely a Mini Pro will have to be bigger to accommodate the cooling and electrical power to handle the bigger CPU/memory.
Hmmm, Doubt it... I think the chassis looks tall enough for air... and a fan doesn't require much space; it adds weight but that won't be a concern by that time. Looking at the existing fuselage and various ports, I'd say it's already been designed Into the platform.

New electronic designs require less in the form of cooling. Example: Modern phones, are packed with electronics & battery... no air space and CPU is an extreme high performer compared to 2 yrs ago and packing 6-8GB of RAM with 1-3GB of ROM... no space and remains cool.
As tight as phone electronics are, powered on non-stop, large glass screen to collect heat, stored next to high body heat, and much more processing power, more ROM, & RAM than a Drone's on-board electronics and it only processes linear instructions, compared to phone systems that run graphics or complicated programs. Take the main board of a phone with all it's features, it'd easily fit inside the Mini's bay and it's multiple times more powerful & physically larger than a Drone's main board. The phone board has GPS, Baro, and multiple sensors common in Drones.

A phones not driving amps feeding motors, but that's not much more heat at the main board; that's more hanging in the air at the motors.

But we're only speculating... Spring will bring the next version most likely.
FW will begin December / January with features.
Optimistic

Hmmm, Doubt it... I think the chassis looks tall enough for air... and a fan doesn't require much space; it adds weight but that won't be a concern by that time. Looking at the existing fuselage and various ports, I'd say it's already been designed Into the platform.

New electronic designs require less in the form of cooling. Example: Modern phones, are packed with electronics & battery... no air space and CPU is an extreme high performer compared to 2 yrs ago and packing 6-8GB of RAM with 1-3GB of ROM... no space and remains cool.
As tight as phone electronics are, powered on non-stop, large glass screen to collect heat, stored next to high body heat, and much more processing power, more ROM, & RAM than a Drone's on-board electronics and it only processes linear instructions, compared to phone systems that run graphics or complicated programs. Take the main board of a phone with all it's features, it'd easily fit inside the Mini's bay and it's multiple times more powerful & physically larger than a Drone's main board. The phone board has GPS, Baro, and multiple sensors common in Drones.

A phones not driving amps feeding motors, but that's not much more heat at the main board; that's more hanging in the air at the motors.

But we're only speculating... Spring will bring the next version most likely.
FW will begin December / January with features.
Optimistic
There’s no doubt in my mind that a newer model will come, but Spring? That’s way too soon. Spring is only 4 months away! And as we speak, the the original isn’t even out yet! My guess: 2 years.

No additional hardware needed for basic Activetrack (App based) or at least FollowMe (phone GPS). May be a bit tricky without OA, but the same goes for Quickshots, and it would be a welcome feature!
If cheap drones and the Anafi support it without OA I think DJI should add it. Although I always prefer the native app it may be a good opportunity for apps like Lichi.

Last edited:
There’s no doubt in my mind that a newer model will come, but Spring? That’s way too soon. Spring is only 4 months away! And as we speak, the the original isn’t even out yet! My guess: 2 years.
Correct, although last time I checked Spring was 3 months long too. In my opinion, the Mini Pro is already done, same exact craft with upgraded camera and sensors at a few grams more. It's staged to keep momentum going on Mini... latest would be Summer. DJI will want to push & ride this new category while the media is focused on it. Even slightly negative news to alarm some listeners will appeal to others...

No additional hardware needed for basic Activetrack (App based) or at least FollowMe (phone GPS). May be a bit tricky without OA, but the same goes for Quickshots, and it would be a welcome feature!
If cheap drones and the Anafi support it I'm sure DJI could add it. Although I always prefer the native app it may be a good opportunity for apps like Lichi. I hope they will adopt the basic view of DJI Fly when they are going to support the Mini.
If the SDK contains enough code and variables to associate, they'll most likely use all the features available for the Mini, many that haven't been written into the new DJI app yet.

If cheap drones and the Anafi support it without OA I think DJI should add it. Although I always prefer the native app it may be a good opportunity for apps like Lichi.
I noticed within your original reply the comparison to Anafi... that's a good example of development. After a few FW upgrades the Anafi has become a great little platform. The Parrot Flight software contains some very well executed autonomous features. The Anafi Thermal is also a great Radiometric Thermal mini too. The Mini & Anafi share the prop attachment method, the Mini reminded me of the Anfi's Props.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan