DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you think about MA stories. ?

dewr83

Reactions
hi to everyone..

first of all sorry for my grammar..

i have MA for 3months and i could fly with it about 15 times.. weather is too windy in this summer and also im working.. there is no permission to fly inside of city .

here is my non understanding topic that included ''lost of mavic air stories''..

there is too much topic about loses but there too less topic about positive sides off MA..

whats the point of losses problems ?

just firmware.. i dont think soo..

i have lost only one time just about 3 seconds about away from me 300 meters..

whats your idea ?

its nice to hear.. soo why the people tries to denigrate the air..

People most often join a forum like this AFTER they have a problem. If you never have problems, as expected, you dont have anything to say. Just as soon as a person has a problem they will start looking for something to blame other than themselves.
This gives rise to the "Bad software'', " Bad firmware", "Bad product" threads.
The good thing that comes from this, is we all get to learn from an others misfortune.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and dewr83
There are lots of reports of "fly aways" with both the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air. At this point, it's hard to say whether the Air is a larger problem. The Pro had a lot of software and firmware glitches when it was new. The Air may be experiencing some of the same.

As ac0j said, a lot of people come to the forum after they've had a problem. They are searching for answers and solutions. If they've lost their drone, they want to know why.

I think part of the problem is the lack of detailed information from DJI. They do have a series of good introductory videos on YouTube, and there is a manual that can be downloaded for each drone, but both give a general overview of major features and do not show you how to best learn about operating a drone nor do they go over the details for optimal settings. I'm learning the most about my Mavic Pro from watching the independent videos on YouTube. Almost every day I discover a video that explains a feature I never knew was built into the Mavic.

Last edited:
In a sense, we are all test pilots for this new technology. There are still so many mysteries about these drones and how they respond.

We’ve had the MA for leas than a month, was flying a Spark prior. We’ve had no problems. In that time we’ve flown the MA double the total distance and nearly the same hours. I like the Spark - it’s spunky - but the MA is solid and a blast to fly.

MA = solid. I mean it’s well built, even folding it feels really solid.

Had my mavic air since May. Took it abroad for two months. Not a single issue apart from not being able to reach max distance. I don’t take risks and always RTH at 50 percent battery.

I have had Phantom 3 standard, Phantom 3 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic Platinum, Inspire 1, Inspire 2 and Mavic Air.
The Air is all I have now. Sold off all the rest. The air is solid, reliable and a pleasure to fly.
Also had a Parrot Anafi and Autel Evo and returned both of them within 3 days.
So from what you say, I struck lucky the first time. I find the MA thoroughly reliable and a joy to fly. It’s my first but it feels just like how it should be. Am I missing out on other drones or is the MA the current sweet spot of drone technology?

I think you did it right... lucky? Probably. I've had a Phantom 3 Pro and a Yuneec Typhoon H in the recent past. Great 4k drones...but boy o boy, what a chore to lug those beasts around. You almost have to "plan" to carry the big case and all the other "stuff" with you somewhere. MA and my Spark are literally both on my right arm as I walk to my car. So portable. And the tech of the MA is remarkable. You did well, I'd say!

Thanks I fully agree and I’m very happy with the final product. The quality of the video stability under some demanding conditions. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I agree with Shuggins, I don’t miss lugging my old Phantom 3 Advanced around.

In all honesty the only thing I miss is Ocusync as it gave a solid connection and great distance. However, so far with my Mavic Air I’ve had just over 6000ft which is plenty.

Really the only other thing I was wary about pre-sale was that it might not have been as stable in the air but so far it’s been a dream to fly.

I honestly have no idea how such a tiny thing can cut through 20mph winds and sit there in a hover without being blown away.

The only negative I have maybe is that I’m now £950 down haha

Reactions: torsen
I've had the Air for several months now. I've only been able to get it up in the sky a few times. All the video I have taken has been absolutely worthless and unusable. I've gotten a couple of usable photos. I'm not ready to give up on the drone yet...It it still new to me and I'm still getting use to it.

My Saturday:
  • Pulled out the drone to fly it. Firmware update. Really? but I just checked it Friday night... wait for update.
  • Get the drone in the air. Three turkey vultures immediately fly over to check it out. I don't bother them...they don't bother me.
  • Video is all washed out... looks like my lens is dirty... but it is spotless. Maybe bad ISO settings? I don't know... I'm blaming user error.
  • Took my drone to a different location, another dramatic view of lake and different bridge. It is quite windy. I put the prop guards on because there are some amazing flowers near the water that I want to capture.
  • I fly out to the middle of the lake to capture a photo of the bridge. A hawk comes out of nowhere and starts circling over head... I watch it carefully. it dives for my drone... I bring the drone back to shore. Wind warning is going off on the remote...telling me to land the drone immediately.
  • Somehow, I only recorded for the first few seconds of the flight..none of my footage showed up. Not sure what happened...again...blaming user error.
  • Along the bike path....wanted to get a "Follow me" shot of riding my bike. Decided to use my cell phone for the remote as I could mount it easily to my bike.
  • As I'm setting up my drone I see a Bald Eagle fly overhead. Is it going to be a problem? I wait for a few minutes...I don't see it again...I guess I will be cautious.
  • Got the drone set up, started follow me app...but it is on the wrong setting. It is only rotating...not actually "Following me" again user error.
  • Unfortunately, once the drone is set to "Follow me" I cancel the shot mode, but can't get the onscreen controls to work. The drone is over a lake...a bout 6 feet of blackberry bushes between me and the drone hovering over water...and I can't find the controls!
  • After several minutes of trying different screen tap combinations, I am finally able to get the on-screen controls back. By this time, my drone only has 6 minutes of batter left. Time to put a new battery in.
  • My phone is dead. only 20% charge left. Looks like no more flights for the day...forgot to bring phone charger...
  • Footage is absolutely unusable...contrast and video looks fine...its just footage of me sweating bullets trying to regain control of my hovering drone. again...user error.

Someday I will get it right! I just need more practice! LOL.

Reactions: torsen
The biggest problems with the Mavic Air, In My Opinion.

#1 Price point. Most credit cards have a high enough limit to get a MA. The price makes a lot of technologically available to a lot more people who have little to no experience.

#2 It’s size. It’s small, it’s cute and looks like a toy. Many inexperienced people view as a toy and approach like the toy they had.

#3 Manual. For whatever reason people are not even looking at the manual, even when they have been provided the link.

#4 Running before able to walk. Open box, charge batteries, activate, fly.

#5 Lazy or in a hurry. Power up, take off. No flight plan, no preflight, and no awareness of surroundings.

People are trying to use equipment they don’t understand. If everyone approached it like maned aircraft and invest time in ground school, before they solo the majority of ugly stories would disappear. Most of the “why did” and “how do I” questions I see here would not have ever been asked had they studied the manual. On and On.
Bottom line as I see it is the Mavic is the biggest bang for the buck in the UAV world but...

People Are Stupid & You Can’t Fix Stupid!

I've had the Air for several months now. I've only been able to get it up in the sky a few times. All the video I have taken has been absolutely worthless and unusable. I've gotten a couple of usable photos. I'm not ready to give up on the drone yet...It it still new to me and I'm still getting use to it.

My Saturday:
  • Pulled out the drone to fly it. Firmware update. Really? but I just checked it Friday night... wait for update.
  • Get the drone in the air. Three turkey vultures immediately fly over to check it out. I don't bother them...they don't bother me.
  • Video is all washed out... looks like my lens is dirty... but it is spotless. Maybe bad ISO settings? I don't know... I'm blaming user error.
  • Took my drone to a different location, another dramatic view of lake and different bridge. It is quite windy. I put the prop guards on because there are some amazing flowers near the water that I want to capture.
  • I fly out to the middle of the lake to capture a photo of the bridge. A hawk comes out of nowhere and starts circling over head... I watch it carefully. it dives for my drone... I bring the drone back to shore. Wind warning is going off on the remote...telling me to land the drone immediately.
  • Somehow, I only recorded for the first few seconds of the flight..none of my footage showed up. Not sure what happened...again...blaming user error.
  • Along the bike path....wanted to get a "Follow me" shot of riding my bike. Decided to use my cell phone for the remote as I could mount it easily to my bike.
  • As I'm setting up my drone I see a Bald Eagle fly overhead. Is it going to be a problem? I wait for a few minutes...I don't see it again...I guess I will be cautious.
  • Got the drone set up, started follow me app...but it is on the wrong setting. It is only rotating...not actually "Following me" again user error.
  • Unfortunately, once the drone is set to "Follow me" I cancel the shot mode, but can't get the onscreen controls to work. The drone is over a lake...a bout 6 feet of blackberry bushes between me and the drone hovering over water...and I can't find the controls!
  • After several minutes of trying different screen tap combinations, I am finally able to get the on-screen controls back. By this time, my drone only has 6 minutes of batter left. Time to put a new battery in.
  • My phone is dead. only 20% charge left. Looks like no more flights for the day...forgot to bring phone charger...
  • Footage is absolutely unusable...contrast and video looks fine...its just footage of me sweating bullets trying to regain control of my hovering drone. again...user error.

Someday I will get it right! I just need more practice! LOL.
Shon, your last statement seems to be the answer. In my case I often go to the local park when there is nobody around and practice any techniques that I’m not sure of before applying them to my vision of what I’m trying to achieve/capture.
This includes the camera settings, it is frustrating to go to a lot of effort only to realise that a simple camera setting has resulted in unusable footage/images.
Keep practicing but try it in less stressful circumstances is my advice.

Have fun... it’s a great machine and soon enough you’ll get some great shots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS