DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you use as a landing pad?

African wildlife

Reactions
I've got a great suggestion for a landing pad if you've got a small drone and you live in the USA. But, first, a bit of background. Until very recently, we've only been flying a Phantom 4 Pro Plus, for professional work. As any photographer or filmmaker knows, it's crucial to protect a lens and camera. So, after a lot of research and thought, we ended up using a piece of an old heavy cloth tarpaulin (once red, but now faded to a dull pink colour). And it's been great. We almost always work in remote locations on rough terrain, in various countries, with (thankfully) no concrete or paving anywhere in sight. When having to walk long distances with lots of filming equipment, the tarpaulin landing pad rolls up and can be strapped to the outside of a daypack. It's large enough to also place and open the dedicated carrying backpack for the P4P+, lay everything out, with the knees of two people around the edges - basically a clean work surface for the ground.

Then we decided to also get the Mini 2 for those times when we have to travel ultra light. Our trusted piece of tarpaulin is not only too big, but also too heavy and bulky, relatively speaking, for such circumstances. So it was back to the proverbial drawing board. We dismissed the usual circular helipads, which are better than nothing but not that useful for a working pro. Besides, they're basically the same as a photography light reflector, minus the reflective surface, which we carry anyway for lighting a human subject talking to camera. We then learnt of Moment's Rugged Landing Pad - in the USA. To make it worthwhile importing it to the UK, we got three of them - and the two spare ones are now happily owned by two other forum members. The Moment pad is square, foldable into nine smaller squares, fits neatly into the DJI Mini 2 carry bag, waterproof, washable, and the company gives a lifetime warranty. And it's not at all flimsy, so highly unlikely to move or blow away. Yes, it weighs a bit more than the Mini 2, but that's inevitable if you want something that's quality. There's even a sturdy elasticated strap for holding it together when folded. I give it 5 stars. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the Moment company, but this is one of the very best accessories you'll ever use. I'm including a couple of photos below.

So what do you use as a landing pad? And, yes, of course we considered using a hand for takeoff and landing. i should also add that we've never crashed or suffered any damage whatsoever to a drone. "Be prepared" really works.

IMG_20201231_080828.jpg
IMG_20201231_081103.jpg

An old Blu-Ray case. It’s small, and can use it closed or opened up depending on the terrain. I prefer it to the foldable cloth ones you can buy as it’s solid. Easily goes into most bags, and cost £0.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lastrexking: I love people's inventiveness. We didn't come close to thinking of that (or, at least, the DVD equivalent in our case - and, yes, pun intended). Presumably it would need something inside or underneath to add weight to stop it blowing about in wind? That certainly would required in places we usually work from, which are wild and often windy. I'm guessing others will likewise have thought of, and be using, some novel ideas.

For any beginners reading this, you need something unless you're always near a manmade flat surface.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Lastrexking: I love people's inventiveness. We didn't come close to thinking of that (or, at least, the DVD equivalent in our case - and, yes, pun intended). Presumably it would need something inside or underneath to add weight to stop it blowing about in wind? That certainly would required in places we usually work from, which are wild and often windy. I'm guessing others will likewise have thought of, and be using, some novel ideas.

For any beginners reading this, you need something unless you're always near a manmade flat surface.
I have four holes drilled in the corners and some tent pegs that fit snugly in the case when closed. Usually only have to use two.

Reactions: Malcx
I have an orange/blue circular pad as shown above with 3 heavyish chain links attached where the securing pegs would go, keeps nice and flat at all times.

if I’m close to where I’ve parked I normally use a car footwell mat for convenience.

Reactions: Tiger64
I have an orange/blue circular pad as shown above with 3 heavyish chain links attached where the securing pegs would go, keeps nice and flat at all times.

if I’m close to where I’ve parked I normally use a car footwell mat for convenience.
I thought about doing that also but I am going to change to this....

My custom pad with motion sensors and led lights

Attachments

• New_Drone_Pad(1).PNG
    New_Drone_Pad(1).PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
  • Resized_20190114_212728.jpeg
    Resized_20190114_212728.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Resized_20190114_213615.jpeg
    Resized_20190114_213615.jpeg
    913 KB · Views: 70
  • Resized_20190114_213649.jpeg
    Resized_20190114_213649.jpeg
    960.2 KB · Views: 74
Well mine is not real portable other than it slides right into the bed of my pickup, but I don't really go anywhere with my drone anyway. The ground is real sandy where I am and I was trying to keep the drone up out of it. It's made out of wood I had laying around so cost was zip!

IMG_4470.JPG

I've got a great suggestion for a landing pad if you've got a small drone and you live in the USA. But, first, a bit of background. Until very recently, we've only been flying a Phantom 4 Pro Plus, for professional work. As any photographer or filmmaker knows, it's crucial to protect a lens and camera. So, after a lot of research and thought, we ended up using a piece of an old heavy cloth tarpaulin (once red, but now faded to a dull pink colour). And it's been great. We almost always work in remote locations on rough terrain, in various countries, with (thankfully) no concrete or paving anywhere in sight. When having to walk long distances with lots of filming equipment, the tarpaulin landing pad rolls up and can be strapped to the outside of a daypack. It's large enough to also place and open the dedicated carrying backpack for the P4P+, lay everything out, with the knees of two people around the edges - basically a clean work surface for the ground.

Then we decided to also get the Mini 2 for those times when we have to travel ultra light. Our trusted piece of tarpaulin is not only too big, but also too heavy and bulky, relatively speaking, for such circumstances. So it was back to the proverbial drawing board. We dismissed the usual circular helipads, which are better than nothing but not that useful for a working pro. Besides, they're basically the same as a photography light reflector, minus the reflective surface, which we carry anyway for lighting a human subject talking to camera. We then learnt of Moment's Rugged Landing Pad - in the USA. To make it worthwhile importing it to the UK, we got three of them - and the two spare ones are now happily owned by two other forum members. The Moment pad is square, foldable into nine smaller squares, fits neatly into the DJI Mini 2 carry bag, waterproof, washable, and the company gives a lifetime warranty. And it's not at all flimsy, so highly unlikely to move or blow away. Yes, it weighs a bit more than the Mini 2, but that's inevitable if you want something that's quality. There's even a sturdy elasticated strap for holding it together when folded. I give it 5 stars. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the Moment company, but this is one of the very best accessories you'll ever use. I'm including a couple of photos below.

So what do you use as a landing pad? And, yes, of course we considered using a hand for takeoff and landing. i should also add that we've never crashed or suffered any damage whatsoever to a drone. "Be prepared" really works.

View attachment 121401
View attachment 121402
What is wrong with the standard pads available on Amazon?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 11.12.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 11.12.07 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
What is wrong with the standard pads available on Amazon?
Hi Dale. The standard ones you mention are undoubtedly widely used. However, as I said above, they're not much use for a professional working in the middle of nowhere. They're too lightweight, prone to moving about or even being blown away. The material is thin.

For us, there are a few much better and safer alternatives - including the superb Moment landing pad which is not much more in terms of cost (and it folds down even smaller). Equipment can easily be damaged, especially when there's sand, stones, rock, vegetation, etc. If you're working in another country, or even just a few hundred miles away from home, your assignment is over if anything goes wrong. But, with better preparation, many of the risks can be eliminated. (And the same practical logic can equally apply to someone flying for fun or as a hobby.)

Even with our heavy tarp, we've sometimes had to use cans of Coca Cola and ice blocks from a cool box to weigh it down under very windy conditions where there are no rocks readily available. (Yes, Coke from a can and ice cubes are other essential items when you're working flat out. :)) The Moment pad is unlikely to move because of its excellent design and build.

As mentioned above, we virtually always have the photography light reflector version of the standard helipads with us as our filming invariably involves someone talking to camera, so we're extremely familiar with what you and many others use. But it's definitely not for us. I'm actually surprised that other companies aren't offering something similar to the Moment pad because the square, foldable, heavier design is superior in every way. Anyone looking for a simple business opportunity should grab it, as the market place is ripe for extra competition.

I hope the above provides a more detailed explanation. I guess it's similar to why we have only chosen to use a DJI drone; we consider them to be significantly better than the alternatives made by other companies. It's part of being the best you can be.

Well mine is not real portable other than it slides right into the bed of my pickup, but I don't really go anywhere with my drone anyway. The ground is real sandy where I am and I was trying to keep the drone up out of it. It's made out of wood I had laying around so cost was zip!

View attachment 121416
Hi AO. For our first ever trial flights, we also used a piece of plywood board that we had available. It was ideal. Alas, not very easy to carry about if you have to go far from a vehicle. If we could do as you do, we'd still be using it. I like your corner legs to keep it just above the ground. And, yes, sand is the biggest killer of equipment.

Reactions: A.O.
I wanted a pad that would withstand the Missouri winds without being staked into the ground. So I went with the Hoodman, 3 foot landing pad. A little pricey but, a once in a career purchase. Made from a heavy canvas ringed with an internal heavy metal rope, when you place it on the ground it stays on the ground! The biggest challenge with it is learning to fold it back up to go into its carry case! A really nice pad!!

Attachments

• 5F4750C8-BF8C-4CA8-A9C7-4F47FECF5412.jpeg
    5F4750C8-BF8C-4CA8-A9C7-4F47FECF5412.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 69
Also you can use a carpet square which you can often get for free from a carpet shop, they often have old ones they no longer need. They can be rolled and are sturdy and heavy enough not to be blown away and not really very heavy, even on a trek.

Cool landing pad for the mini!
Here’s mine... unfolded in the photo, 24” diameter.., folded, into four smaller circles, it’s about 6-7” diameter, reversible colts, yellow shown, reverse is black with white lettering.View attachment 121404
Thomas , I see you have 4 lights on your drone.
Are they all white or do you have colors on the back side?
Will it still fold up with the mounts on?
Do they effect flight characteristics much, flight time , handling, etc?

Sorry about the thread drift AW.

Hi Dale. The standard ones you mention are undoubtedly widely used. However, as I said above, they're not much use for a professional working in the middle of nowhere. They're too lightweight, prone to moving about or even being blown away. The material is thin.

For us, there are a few much better and safer alternatives - including the superb Moment landing pad which is not much more in terms of cost (and it folds down even smaller). Equipment can easily be damaged, especially when there's sand, stones, rock, vegetation, etc. If you're working in another country, or even just a few hundred miles away from home, your assignment is over if anything goes wrong. But, with better preparation, many of the risks can be eliminated. (And the same practical logic can equally apply to someone flying for fun or as a hobby.)

Even with our heavy tarp, we've sometimes had to use cans of Coca Cola and ice blocks from a cool box to weigh it down under very windy conditions where there are no rocks readily available. (Yes, Coke from a can and ice cubes are other essential items when you're working flat out. :)) The Moment pad is unlikely to move because of its excellent design and build.

As mentioned above, we virtually always have the photography light reflector version of the standard helipads with us as our filming invariably involves someone talking to camera, so we're extremely familiar with what you and many others use. But it's definitely not for us. I'm actually surprised that other companies aren't offering something similar to the Moment pad because the square, foldable, heavier design is superior in every way. Anyone looking for a simple business opportunity should grab it, as the market place is ripe for extra competition.

I hope the above provides a more detailed explanation. I guess it's similar to why we have only chosen to use a DJI drone; we consider them to be significantly better than the alternatives made by other companies. It's part of being the best you can be.
Thanks for that! I certainly learned something today. I might even consider getting one of those Moment pads. My flimsy pad blows away a lot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots