DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you use as a landing pad?

Dennis:

So I Googled the term "injuries from drones." Among the 8,490,000 listings were amputations, eye injuries, concussions, facial injuries." There are millions of listings on Google. I make it a habit of taking off from a pad, but will hand catch my drone if I am on a very wet, or uneven surface, and I have done so hundreds of times and without damage. But I do not do it routinely because I almost always fly solo, and if I sustained an injury while out in the boondocks, I would have no help driving me to an emergency room. I would not consider myself a wimp by any means and I think that sort of talk is a danger to people who are more conservative in their flying.

As a practicing ophthalmologist for 38 years, I have had many personal experiences in suturing lacerated eyelids, and corneas from various injuries. Some of these cause permanent corneal scaring, eyelid lacerations, and even globe lacerations, which cause a blind eye. Labeling a drone flyer a wimp if they do not take off/land from hand is not responsible talk. This is a fun activity and does not warrent un-needed endangerment.

Feel free to handle your own drone as you wish. Don't debase those who do not wish to be shamed to hand launch/catch.

Dale Davis, M.D.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist
F.A.C.S ( past president Fellow American College of Surgeons)
Miami
Enrique Iglesias is probably the best known instance of what can go wrong. He suffered an injury during a performance in Mexico, then carried on for 30 minutes to finish the concert after quickly getting his fingers wrapped up, afterwards being flown to LA to get medical attention.

I established and managed a busy medical clinic for 25 years, so I've seen many freak injuries caused by things you'd never think would happen. These freak injuries are not common but neither are they as rare as most might believe. Personally, I have two friends who've suffered significant injuries: one lost three finger tips and the other half of a thumb - both doing jobs they've done for all their adult life. And, yes, I've hand-caught our P4P+ on several occasions in odd situations - plus I did say in my original post that this is an option.

A number of critical professions are taught about what they usually call the "human factor". But it's actually psychological inadequacy, such as being inconsistent through distraction, complacency, or similar. And that's the point when something is most likely to go wrong.

Dale was totally correct to respond as above. Our medical clinic saw it's unfortunate share of eye injuries and almost all were "unexpected".

Reactions: frank candor
Well mine is not real portable other than it slides right into the bed of my pickup, but I don't really go anywhere with my drone anyway. The ground is real sandy where I am and I was trying to keep the drone up out of it. It's made out of wood I had laying around so cost was zip!

View attachment 121416
Mine is also made of wood, 6 inches high,

Reactions: A.O.
Serious question - why do you need a landing pad at all? There is almost always a suitable flat (ish) surface somewhere within walking distance of a takeoff point. It's just an extra piece of kit to have to carry around and remember.

The only occasional scenario I can think of is in the middle of summer, to avoid dust kickback in a particular dry area.

Dale was totally correct to respond as above. Our medical clinic saw it's unfortunate share of eye injuries and almost all were "unexpected".
Here's one for you... When I was 15 I was playing out in a field with a bunch of other kids, someone was flying a at kite, you know the one with the frame stick up the middle of it, well it did a big dive bomb swoop and that stick went right in my left eye!! Triple hemorrhage later.. and I've been dealing with that for the last 50 years!

Serious question - why do you need a landing pad at all? There is almost always a suitable flat (ish) surface somewhere within walking distance of a takeoff point. It's just an extra piece of kit to have to carry around and remember.

The only occasional scenario I can think of is in the middle of summer, to avoid dust kickback in a particular dry area.
Just mainly to keep stuff, sand whatever, out of the motors and away from the blades.. grass, twigs and things are not the props friends!

Reactions: DanMan32

Hi Andrex. Before answering your question, I can't stop myself from saying that - here in the UK - Andrex is the best-known brand of deluxe toilet paper. :cool: Okay, to the answer. As I said in my original post, we work almost always in remote areas, thankfully well away from any concrete or paving, usually in rough terrain. That aside, sand is a well-known killer of camera equipment etc - if someone was taking off from a beach or where's there's sandy soil - and any tiny stick or other debris wouldn't be good to land on as that, too, could could a problem. DJI drones are very well made but they can be damaged through mild neglect.

Here's one for you... When I was 15 I was playing out in a field with a bunch of other kids, someone was flying a at kite, you know the one with the frame stick up the middle of it, well it did a big dive bomb swoop and that stick went right in my left eye!! Triple hemorrhage later.. and I've been dealing with that for the last 50 years!
I'm sorry to hear that, A.O. But, yes, that's a very good example of a freak incident - and they do happen all too often, more than a non-medical person realises. As Dale knows, eyes are especially vulnerable.

Reactions: A.O.
Serious question - why do you need a landing pad at all? There is almost always a suitable flat (ish) surface somewhere within walking distance of a takeoff point.
Others have pointed out issues around dust and sand. I'll point out that, when resting on a flat surface, the Mavic Mini has about 2 cm (3/4 inch) of clearance between the rear propellers and the ground. In my experience, that means that landing on grass will cause the drone to attempt to mow the lawn. While this does work somewhat, it's not a very efficient lawn mower, and the frequent blade replacements can get expensive.

Landing gear extensions are an option, but they increase the weight of the drone.

There are, of course, drones with higher clearance, and ground conditions vary from place to place, so not everyone needs a landing pad.

I land the drone to my hand. For takeoff, I have a hard surface "landing pad" that I use when the takeoff point is messy.

Enrique Iglesias is probably the best known instance of what can go wrong. He suffered an injury during a performance in Mexico, then carried on for 30 minutes to finish the concert after quickly getting his fingers wrapped up, afterwards being flown to LA to get medical attention.

I established and managed a busy medical clinic for 25 years, so I've seen many freak injuries caused by things you'd never think would happen. These freak injuries are not common but neither are they as rare as most might believe. Personally, I have two friends who've suffered significant injuries: one lost three finger tips and the other half of a thumb - both doing jobs they've done for all their adult life. And, yes, I've hand-caught our P4P+ on several occasions in odd situations - plus I did say in my original post that this is an option.

A number of critical professions are taught about what they usually call the "human factor". But it's actually psychological inadequacy, such as being inconsistent through distraction, complacency, or similar. And that's the point when something is most likely to go wrong.

Yep, Crappenings... when i was in first grade, i was on a teeter totter, the other kid bounced me when i was up, i flew off, landed under the SEESAW and was pile driven into the playground bottom first, Unconscious for 3 days, i'm still living with that 50 years later, concentration and common sense aren't in any syllabus i've ever heard of..so sad

My wife is cracking up at everyone's contributions. She also loves the Of Course I Still Love You pad. But the pizza box made her almost wet herself with laughter!
Oh yeah....well see if she has to change herself after this...I used the ultimate landing pad/spotter combo unit. Cost? Negligible..usually lunch and she was getting that anyway. :cool: And precision landings are spot on :p It folds up by itself...and carries itself.! ;)

landingpad.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah....well see if she has to change herself after this...I used the ultimate landing pad/spotter combo unit. Cost? Negligible..usually lunch and she was getting that anyway. :cool: And precision landings are spot on :p

View attachment 121565
And bonus!! You could do a hair cut while you are there!

And bonus!! You could do a hair cut while you are there!
Notice head is in landing and take off position? That is automatic too :oops: I guess I should say noobie pilots do not attempt, disclaimer as well ?

Reactions: Akward59
A bed mattress works really well. Don't have to worry about pegging it down from wind blowing it away and it's huge so it makes for a really good landing pad.

Oh yeah....well see if she has to change herself after this...I used the ultimate landing pad/spotter combo unit. Cost? Negligible..usually lunch and she was getting that anyway. :cool: And precision landings are spot on :p It folds up by itself...and carries itself.! ;)

View attachment 121565
Hi Repaid1. Yes, she likes it. However, she says your wife should take her clothes off to be more effective because that jacket material looks a bit slippery and it wouldn't be good for the Phantom to fall onto the sand,

• Haha
Reactions: Akward59
I just received the Moment pad from B&H only 2 days ago, but it hasn't stopped raining since, so I haven't had a chance to try it out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki