DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you use as a landing pad?

I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s been awhile.

I’ve gone the minimalist route. I wanted something clean to prevent debris from being sucked into the ventilation inlets, and I wanted something sturdy enough NOT to flex or bend, protecting the blades. I also didn’t want to spend $20 for a “pad”. Twenty dollars will purchase a fair amount of beer!

So I went to the local Post Office and picked up a couple unassembled shipping boxes. They were free, and of course flat (-unassembled), and came in three sizes.

They function perfectly and are lightweight, and will do everything that the “big buck” devices will do, with the added benefit that if you crash, you can assemble the shipping box and ship your damaged drone back for repair! -Of course I don’t know about this part yet, and hopefully never.

Now I received a foldable drone pad as a present, and now use that more than the USPS pad. Still, the USPS pad worked for me for years.

Reactions: ICHOTT
I have stopped using my landing pad altogether. In the end, I found it was better to always hand launch and retrieve.

Reactions: awagner109
I don’t use my landing pad anymore. I always hand launch and retrieve. It’s better to become totally practiced at this.

Reactions: awagner109
I use my hand. Don’t have to carry a landing pad. And can take off and land just about any where.

So far, if I was giving out awards, the funniest landing pad would have two joint winners: the pizza box and the man's wife's back. Most Sturdy award - just don't mention portability far beyond your vehicle - would have to be given to the wooden ones, with that one with corner legs getting the edge on the others.

I was born in Scotland, but have lived in England almost all of my life when not overseas, so I can say what's coming next without risk of being slaughtered by anyone who is politically correct. The Scottish award - that's for not wasting money, as the Scots have a reputation for "deep pockets" in case anyone living beyond the UK hasn't heard (and if that's not clear enough, then just think "mean" or "stingy") - goes to all those who prefer a hand job.

:)

• Haha
Reactions: RobertR
I have a landing pad that has a spring loaded perimeter. It is about 24" in diameter and folds into a round zipped envelop/pocket about 8" in diameter. BUT ... I never use it. Normally there is suitable ground to launch from, and, if not, I launch from my backpack (camera bag). I always hand catch my Mavic 2 Pro.

Hand Launching is a great way to take off and land. I have hand launched and caught 95% of my combined 200+ fights with the MM1 and MA2 and really prefer it.

Only time it isn't the best I would say is at night. The Strobe can really be blinding, making the drone hard to catch up close.

The landing pad with the awesome LEDs someone posted has me thinking of a pad though...

Reactions: frank candor
I have a landing pad but probably used it once in 4 years. I always hand catch. I normally set the drone on the carry case for takeoff and that have worked just fine. I guess my issue with the landing pad is the wind tends to blow it away unless it's anchored down and its one more thing to drag around. I want all my stuff in one very small bag in my MC or bicycle

I've got a great suggestion for a landing pad if you've got a small drone and you live in the USA. But, first, a bit of background. Until very recently, we've only been flying a Phantom 4 Pro Plus, for professional work. As any photographer or filmmaker knows, it's crucial to protect a lens and camera. So, after a lot of research and thought, we ended up using a piece of an old heavy cloth tarpaulin (once red, but now faded to a dull pink colour). And it's been great. We almost always work in remote locations on rough terrain, in various countries, with (thankfully) no concrete or paving anywhere in sight. When having to walk long distances with lots of filming equipment, the tarpaulin landing pad rolls up and can be strapped to the outside of a daypack. It's large enough to also place and open the dedicated carrying backpack for the P4P+, lay everything out, with the knees of two people around the edges - basically a clean work surface for the ground.

Then we decided to also get the Mini 2 for those times when we have to travel ultra light. Our trusted piece of tarpaulin is not only too big, but also too heavy and bulky, relatively speaking, for such circumstances. So it was back to the proverbial drawing board. We dismissed the usual circular helipads, which are better than nothing but not that useful for a working pro. Besides, they're basically the same as a photography light reflector, minus the reflective surface, which we carry anyway for lighting a human subject talking to camera. We then learnt of Moment's Rugged Landing Pad - in the USA. To make it worthwhile importing it to the UK, we got three of them - and the two spare ones are now happily owned by two other forum members. The Moment pad is square, foldable into nine smaller squares, fits neatly into the DJI Mini 2 carry bag, waterproof, washable, and the company gives a lifetime warranty. And it's not at all flimsy, so highly unlikely to move or blow away. Yes, it weighs a bit more than the Mini 2, but that's inevitable if you want something that's quality. There's even a sturdy elasticated strap for holding it together when folded. I give it 5 stars. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the Moment company, but this is one of the very best accessories you'll ever use. I'm including a couple of photos below.

So what do you use as a landing pad? And, yes, of course we considered using a hand for takeoff and landing. i should also add that we've never crashed or suffered any damage whatsoever to a drone. "Be prepared" really works.

View attachment 121401
View attachment 121402

Attachments

• multi-norsk-gym-floor-tiles-240147-64_600.jpg
    multi-norsk-gym-floor-tiles-240147-64_600.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 14
I've got a great suggestion for a landing pad if you've got a small drone and you live in the USA. But, first, a bit of background. Until very recently, we've only been flying a Phantom 4 Pro Plus, for professional work. As any photographer or filmmaker knows, it's crucial to protect a lens and camera. So, after a lot of research and thought, we ended up using a piece of an old heavy cloth tarpaulin (once red, but now faded to a dull pink colour). And it's been great. We almost always work in remote locations on rough terrain, in various countries, with (thankfully) no concrete or paving anywhere in sight. When having to walk long distances with lots of filming equipment, the tarpaulin landing pad rolls up and can be strapped to the outside of a daypack. It's large enough to also place and open the dedicated carrying backpack for the P4P+, lay everything out, with the knees of two people around the edges - basically a clean work surface for the ground.

Then we decided to also get the Mini 2 for those times when we have to travel ultra light. Our trusted piece of tarpaulin is not only too big, but also too heavy and bulky, relatively speaking, for such circumstances. So it was back to the proverbial drawing board. We dismissed the usual circular helipads, which are better than nothing but not that useful for a working pro. Besides, they're basically the same as a photography light reflector, minus the reflective surface, which we carry anyway for lighting a human subject talking to camera. We then learnt of Moment's Rugged Landing Pad - in the USA. To make it worthwhile importing it to the UK, we got three of them - and the two spare ones are now happily owned by two other forum members. The Moment pad is square, foldable into nine smaller squares, fits neatly into the DJI Mini 2 carry bag, waterproof, washable, and the company gives a lifetime warranty. And it's not at all flimsy, so highly unlikely to move or blow away. Yes, it weighs a bit more than the Mini 2, but that's inevitable if you want something that's quality. There's even a sturdy elasticated strap for holding it together when folded. I give it 5 stars. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the Moment company, but this is one of the very best accessories you'll ever use. I'm including a couple of photos below.

So what do you use as a landing pad? And, yes, of course we considered using a hand for takeoff and landing. i should also add that we've never crashed or suffered any damage whatsoever to a drone. "Be prepared" really works.

View attachment 121401
View attachment 121402
I have the same landing pad and I love it, the red is easy to see and the black is easy to use at the beach. I
t works great in tall grass.

View attachment 121401
View attachment 121402
I hand catch and launch.

Reactions: joeywestside
I bought 2 of those light canvas landing pads when I first started flying a few years ago and one of them I used maybe 3 times the other I never even opened up. I already have too many things to keep up with and carry with me.. I normally now start it up and just throw it in the air (yes its very safe to trust it's long as you release it above anything a 4 foot underneathit AND WIND AT YOUR BACK SO IT WILL WILL BLOW AWAY FRO YOU NOT TOWARDS IF A GUST HAPPENS AT AT THAT MOMENT OF RELEASE) and then hand catch but if there's significant wind hand catching can get sketchy at times so if I'm flying somewhere that has a lot of small debris that gets kicked up and its too windy to hand catch ill use what I always have with me... your vehicles floor mats. They won't blow around and they work great and you don't have anything extra to keep tote or keep up with. You're welcome ?

Ha! It’s a bath mat Velcro-ed to a plastic bin lid. Can be used without the lid on flat, solid surfaces. Got it HERE.

[ reply to Hilfigers - quoting didn’t take . . .]

Last edited:

View attachment 121401
View attachment 121402
The terrain I work is usually too rough/dusty/hard/wet for pads. My solution has been to do hand launch and catch. It didn't take much practice to avoid the props on the Mavic Mini. But then what? How do you deal with batteries, drone, mobile and controller with only two hands? My solution has been natty belt holders for all three from scottymakesstuff.com. Least useful is the battery holder because I don't do endurance missions but the others provide much more practical permanent homes for the controller and the Mini itself.IMG_20210117_125111.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom