DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you use as a landing pad?

Now I have the same thing in the 3 foot model, it has a heavy outer ring and needs no stakes, in case you are on gravel or somthing else hard that you cant pound into.
Packs up small and has a case with nice carrying straps
I've got this one as well, but mostly use my concrete sidewalk.

6881753E-5293-4FDC-873E-EF199334A5FE.jpegWish I would have checked here before buying a landing pad. The startrc, at 20 inches, from Amazon is just way too big for my mini 2. It folds up & came with a water proof bag, but it has a strong chemical smell. Probably going to return it.

Especially since I already taught myself to take off and land from the back of my dji shoulder bag (like an idiot). i keep a crushed and flattened Amazon box in my trunk for windy days or when it’s too dark to see my bag on landing. Otherwise it’s been the dji carry bag (with a success rate of ~90%). I figured I better stop that before I damage the gimbal.

Anybody use those leg extenders or landing gear with skis? I’m so used to “traveling light”, that if I can skip the landing pad altogether I would. I really only need a sixth of the size of the STARTRC pad (see it folded).

Attachments

• D3E1C82F-BCD5-4A05-9136-312483917C9B.jpeg
    D3E1C82F-BCD5-4A05-9136-312483917C9B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 552825F7-1417-4610-8DD8-00152E4B1A2D.jpeg
    552825F7-1417-4610-8DD8-00152E4B1A2D.jpeg
    754.8 KB · Views: 4
Anybody use those leg extenders or landing gear with skis? I’m so used to “traveling light”, that if I can skip the landing pad altogether I would. I really only need a sixth of the size of the STARTRC pad (see it folded).

If it's worth sacrificing, cut 1/6 th of the pad and use it or eliminate the pad by practicing the hand launch / land technique.

If you send it back, maybe a heavy mouse pad would work? 🤔

I have a foldable pad similar to yours that I only use if I need a clean surface for preflight. I rarely launch from the pad since I hand launch most of the times.

I had landing gear stuff for my Spark and it was just more stuff to carry.

I do have this "life jacket" that I use occasionally for the MA2.

It allows me to land on water, snow, or rough terrain if I'm not there to catch it. :D

Last edited:
I've got a great suggestion for a landing pad if you've got a small drone and you live in the USA. But, first, a bit of background. Until very recently, we've only been flying a Phantom 4 Pro Plus, for professional work. As any photographer or filmmaker knows, it's crucial to protect a lens and camera. So, after a lot of research and thought, we ended up using a piece of an old heavy cloth tarpaulin (once red, but now faded to a dull pink colour). And it's been great. We almost always work in remote locations on rough terrain, in various countries, with (thankfully) no concrete or paving anywhere in sight. When having to walk long distances with lots of filming equipment, the tarpaulin landing pad rolls up and can be strapped to the outside of a daypack. It's large enough to also place and open the dedicated carrying backpack for the P4P+, lay everything out, with the knees of two people around the edges - basically a clean work surface for the ground.

Then we decided to also get the Mini 2 for those times when we have to travel ultra light. Our trusted piece of tarpaulin is not only too big, but also too heavy and bulky, relatively speaking, for such circumstances. So it was back to the proverbial drawing board. We dismissed the usual circular helipads, which are better than nothing but not that useful for a working pro. Besides, they're basically the same as a photography light reflector, minus the reflective surface, which we carry anyway for lighting a human subject talking to camera. We then learnt of Moment's Rugged Landing Pad - in the USA. To make it worthwhile importing it to the UK, we got three of them - and the two spare ones are now happily owned by two other forum members. The Moment pad is square, foldable into nine smaller squares, fits neatly into the DJI Mini 2 carry bag, waterproof, washable, and the company gives a lifetime warranty. And it's not at all flimsy, so highly unlikely to move or blow away. Yes, it weighs a bit more than the Mini 2, but that's inevitable if you want something that's quality. There's even a sturdy elasticated strap for holding it together when folded. I give it 5 stars. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the Moment company, but this is one of the very best accessories you'll ever use. I'm including a couple of photos below.

So what do you use as a landing pad? And, yes, of course we considered using a hand for takeoff and landing. i should also add that we've never crashed or suffered any damage whatsoever to a drone. "Be prepared" really works.

View attachment 121401
View attachment 121402Hoodman 3 ft pad is an awesome “pro” quality alternative for portable pad. Same spring type folding as the nylon versions with heavier materials and a weighted parameter.

View attachment 136163Wish I would have checked here before buying a landing pad. The startrc, at 20 inches, from Amazon is just way too big for my mini 2. It folds up & came with a water proof bag, but it has a strong chemical smell. Probably going to return it.

Especially since I already taught myself to take off and land from the back of my dji shoulder bag (like an idiot). i keep a crushed and flattened Amazon box in my trunk for windy days or when it’s too dark to see my bag on landing. Otherwise it’s been the dji carry bag (with a success rate of ~90%). I figured I better stop that before I damage the gimbal.

hehe I've taken off from my shoulder bag too. But I hand my drone instead of landing it.

I usually launch from a handy rock. Fortunately we have lots of rock up here. Also lots of trees, and lakes, and did I mention rock?

Seriously though, frequently hand launch and land, cause finding a horizontal surface, even for a pad, is not always an option.

Everything here is mostly sand, hence me using a landing pad..

Last edited:
I used landing skid on my Mini SE..

I usually search for nice flat surface to take off and landing without skids....

but if i can't find one, or the environment is sand, gravel, or grassy, i attached landing skid.. it is cheap, made from plastic, and lightweight (about 9 grams) light enough not to trigger payload mode..

and it didnt affect flight performance in a major way..

i tried hand landing couple times, but personally, i'm not confident enough to do that often.. so i decided not doing hand landing except in emergency situation... so i opted for landing skid

Attachments

• se landing skid.jpg
    se landing skid.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 5
I usually launch from a handy rock. Fortunately we have lots of rock up here. Also lots of trees, and lakes, and did I mention rock?

Seriously though, frequently hand launch and land, cause finding a horizontal surface, even for a pad, is not always an option.

Not sure I have coordination enough to hold the drone, hold the remote and start the motors at the same time.

Reactions: Barbara
I minimize everything about my equipment. Years ago, I abandoned standard cameras and the heavy duty Adobe PC software for good quality camera phones and simple phone editing apps. It was sufficient for my needs and made illustration of my writing easy.
When I contemplated using a drone for extending what I was doing, I attempted to minimise and simplify that too. I opted for the quality of the DJI Mini and used my Android phone apps for editing to the results.
To minimize launch and retrieval, I use my hands and a Scottie holster on a belt to quickly stow my Mini while I work over the results. This approach speeds up sessions and cuts mechanical issues.
Would not suit everyone but....

Not sure I have coordination enough to hold the drone, hold the remote and start the motors at the same time.
I use a lanyard to support the RC/Tablet and the auto-takeoff feature in the GO 4 App. Makes it pretty simple.

Reactions: Tentoes
I use one of the pop-open nylon LZs (photo on screen) as well as the 'helicopter skid" snap-on for my MA2. I'm happy with both. In typical Arizona open desert like in the photo, there's a lot of loose crud kicked up so I either use the LZ, or land it on my pickup bed cover. If on rock or pavement, I'll just go with the skids. They add very little weight and when packing light in the DJI soft case they don't take any space. when using my Nanuck case, I pop them off and store in the pocket with the charger.

Attachments

• Drone w_landing skids.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
My wife has been into quilting for the last few years. I have requested a quilted landing pad. The new “thing” with blankets is adding weights. I suggested a few weights sewn in to keep it flat and stable. We’ll see if she makes me one…

I've got a great suggestion for a landing pad if you've got a small drone and you live in the USA. But, first, a bit of background. Until very recently, we've only been flying a Phantom 4 Pro Plus, for professional work. As any photographer or filmmaker knows, it's crucial to protect a lens and camera. So, after a lot of research and thought, we ended up using a piece of an old heavy cloth tarpaulin (once red, but now faded to a dull pink colour). And it's been great. We almost always work in remote locations on rough terrain, in various countries, with (thankfully) no concrete or paving anywhere in sight. When having to walk long distances with lots of filming equipment, the tarpaulin landing pad rolls up and can be strapped to the outside of a daypack. It's large enough to also place and open the dedicated carrying backpack for the P4P+, lay everything out, with the knees of two people around the edges - basically a clean work surface for the ground.

Then we decided to also get the Mini 2 for those times when we have to travel ultra light. Our trusted piece of tarpaulin is not only too big, but also too heavy and bulky, relatively speaking, for such circumstances. So it was back to the proverbial drawing board. We dismissed the usual circular helipads, which are better than nothing but not that useful for a working pro. Besides, they're basically the same as a photography light reflector, minus the reflective surface, which we carry anyway for lighting a human subject talking to camera. We then learnt of Moment's Rugged Landing Pad - in the USA. To make it worthwhile importing it to the UK, we got three of them - and the two spare ones are now happily owned by two other forum members. The Moment pad is square, foldable into nine smaller squares, fits neatly into the DJI Mini 2 carry bag, waterproof, washable, and the company gives a lifetime warranty. And it's not at all flimsy, so highly unlikely to move or blow away. Yes, it weighs a bit more than the Mini 2, but that's inevitable if you want something that's quality. There's even a sturdy elasticated strap for holding it together when folded. I give it 5 stars. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the Moment company, but this is one of the very best accessories you'll ever use. I'm including a couple of photos below.

So what do you use as a landing pad? And, yes, of course we considered using a hand for takeoff and landing. i should also add that we've never crashed or suffered any damage whatsoever to a drone. "Be prepared" really works.

View attachment 121401
View attachment 121402
use a 2’ x 2’ piece of plexiglass. Works well and doesn’t blow away. Also easy to carry with my mini 2. Don’t fly at night, so it is all I need.

This rubber mat i got from titan drones, years ago, is my go-to landing mat. It lives in my car and is always ready. But ive used everything from box lids, the cheap, light mats that need pegging down to the tray lid of my ute.

0b314d2e1dd2fa3b9c953eb253a81073.jpg

This rubber mat i got from titan drones, years ago, is my go-to landing mat. It lives in my car and is always ready. But ive used everything from box lids, the cheap, light mats that need pegging down to the tray lid of my ute.

View attachment 136579
Ok, somebody has to ask. What is a “Ute”? I was just watching My Cousin Vinny a couple of weeks ago and I couldn’t resist.

Reactions: Tentoes
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan