DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Do You Use To Carry Your Gear.....??

Check out using a Professional Cosmetic Makeup carrying case.
Approximate cost <$40
Many compartments in the multi layer lid.
Many carrying options.
Sides are slotted with foam and case sides are made of solid metal material so case will not crush.
You can configure the compartments to meet your specific needs.
You can easily make your own dividers by cutting 1/8" material as needed.
Many cases provide over protection, are big bulky and heavy.
Since most of us transport our technical equipment within arms reach we don't need GORILLA proof protection.

Check out using a Professional Cosmetic Makeup carrying case.
Approximate cost <$40
Many compartments in the multi layer lid.
Many carrying options.
Sides are slotted with foam and case sides are made of solid metal material so case will not crush.
You can configure the compartments to meet your specific needs.
You can easily make your own dividers by cutting 1/8" material as needed.
Many cases provide over protection, are big bulky and heavy.
Since most of us transport our technical equipment within arms reach we don't need GORILLA proof protection.
Picture please, cheers Len

Above link will take you to my original post from August 2020

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. I plan to launch from woodlands and wetlands that might be a bit of a hike from my truck. All my gear is stowed in cases that are similar in nature to the Apache cases (foam lined). Now in my consideration is my ILBE pack. I haven't test fit my gear with it but I think it's handle most of my gear. My preference is a wheeled cart of some nature. Most will provide a flat surface to work off of.(with modification).
1641938018412.png

Reactions: MA2 317 and dozzn
My Mavic 2 is in either a camera backpack (along with camera, batteries, etc) or in a small case inside a regular hiking backpack.

This is the case I use for the drone (and used for the controller before I got a Smart Controller):

Mini is in the Fly More case inside a backpack.

Alternately, the mini fits inside a lens case so sometimes I just put it in a lens case attached to my photographers vest. I use the LowePro Street and Field system but it looks like they no longer sell that. Someone recommended a hard holster for the Mini, and it looked good but shipping from Australia was more than the holster so I decided against it.

I haven't test fit my gear with it but I think it's handle most of my gear. My preference is a wheeled cart of some nature. Most will provide a flat surface to work off of.(with modification).

Maybe a smaller backpack and a cart? 🤔

It will help distribute the load going in and out of the bush.

Sorry I did not correctly read and understand your need.
Check out this Ice Fishing Sled

I recommend adding two features drill holes around top edge to facilitate rope handles and places to attach bunji cords.
Also the manufacture sells metal tracks that will extend the bottom life.
These are easily pulled over almost everything. Stay away for anything with a wheel as branches WILL get caught and be a pain to remove.
I do trail work and carry quite a bit equipment; Two 18" chain saws, 1 large brush cutter, hand trimmer, Two 8 ton winches, two 150' coils of 1/4" stainless wire rope. This unit has handled the weight and has been able to make it up 10 degree grades (slowly) but nevertheless it gets the job done. I have made a harness for pulling heavy loads.

Hope this helps

Sorry I did not correctly read and understand your need.
Check out this Ice Fishing Sled

I recommend adding two features drill holes around top edge to facilitate rope handles and places to attach bunji cords.
Also the manufacture sells metal tracks that will extend the bottom life.
These are easily pulled over almost everything. Stay away for anything with a wheel as branches WILL get caught and be a pain to remove.
I do trail work and carry quite a bit equipment; Two 18" chain saws, 1 large brush cutter, hand trimmer, Two 8 ton winches, two 150' coils of 1/4" stainless wire rope. This unit has handled the weight and has been able to make it up 10 degree grades (slowly) but nevertheless it gets the job done. I have made a harness for pulling heavy loads.

Hope this helps
Brilliant idea! I have a small sled that might just be the ticket! It might not work in every situation but for most I think it will work well. Mine doesn't have the runners and I'll have to see if they are available for mine or fab my own.

What do you folks use to haul your gear to a launch site when you're not in close proximity to your vehicle? I have quite a bit of equipment and I'm looking for options. Some options that I'm considering:

Alice LC-2 pack frame w/shelf
Gorilla Cart
Game cart

What are you using?
Here is what I use to transport my drone case and photography equipment around. This trailer will also hook to a bicycle. The attachment arm can be on either side with this brand only. Works great and is sturdy

Attachments

• OXO and Trailer.jpg
    OXO and Trailer.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 10
I use a Vcutech hard carrying case (here on Amazon.ca). It fits everything in the Mini 2 "Fly More" bundle, and has room for a smartphone & extra cables. The foam has been cut remarkably well for the Mini parts, and I can't imagine anything moving even with rough handling. As an added bonus, the gasket for the lid is equally well fitted, and I expect that it would keep everything dry even if it was completely immersed in water. Very happy with it!

I recently visited Mount Canobolas near Orange NSW, and tried to visit Federal Falls to get some footage (with relevant approval from Parks & Wildlife Service).
I was using a pretty standard backpack to carry the M2P, 3 batteries, some odds and ends and a ~ 3Kg bucket of brickie's sand, just in case of a battery fire... (I was NOT going to be responsible for any bushfires - not after what we went through here in 2019....). The backpack weighed about 8.5Kg all up and the walk from the parking area to the Falls was supposed to be about 2Km.
Note that I am on a fairly hefty dose of immune suppressants which muck around with muscle strength and stamina. I'm not unfit though and have recently been walking constantly for 6-7 hours at a stretch around flat territory with a backpack weighing around 5Kg without significant problems, however it was 30 deg C that day and quite humid and the territory was quite hilly.

While the backpack worked very well to house all the bits and was quite comfortable, unfortunately I never made it to the falls. The track got a bit steep in parts, knowing I needed enough energy to get back out again, I turned back before reaching the falls and had a hell of a time making it back to the car, having to stop numerous times to catch my breath and rest my legs, to avoid overheating. It turns out I'd made it about 1.5Km (which felt at the time like it was much further!!). If I'd had a lighter form of fire suppression that worked in a bush setting I'd also have been better off, I have a fire blanket but I suspected that was unlikely to be adequate in the sort of bush I was in.

But I digress!! - The point is that while my effort failed, I had no issue with carrying the backpack and its contents, other than the energy it drained from carrying that much weight up steep inclines! I can vouch for the backpack as being a very useful way to carry the drone.

Reactions: Crow Horse
I recently visited Mount Canobolas near Orange NSW, and tried to visit Federal Falls to get some footage (with relevant approval from Parks & Wildlife Service).
I was using a pretty standard backpack to carry the M2P, 3 batteries, some odds and ends and a ~ 3Kg bucket of brickie's sand, just in case of a battery fire... (I was NOT going to be responsible for any bushfires - not after what we went through here in 2019....). The backpack weighed about 8.5Kg all up and the walk from the parking area to the Falls was supposed to be about 2Km.
Note that I am on a fairly hefty dose of immune suppressants which muck around with muscle strength and stamina. I'm not unfit though and have recently been walking constantly for 6-7 hours at a stretch around flat territory with a backpack weighing around 5Kg without significant problems, however it was 30 deg C that day and quite humid and the territory was quite hilly.

While the backpack worked very well to house all the bits and was quite comfortable, unfortunately I never made it to the falls. The track got a bit steep in parts, knowing I needed enough energy to get back out again, I turned back before reaching the falls and had a hell of a time making it back to the car, having to stop numerous times to catch my breath and rest my legs, to avoid overheating. It turns out I'd made it about 1.5Km (which felt at the time like it was much further!!). If I'd had a lighter form of fire suppression that worked in a bush setting I'd also have been better off, I have a fire blanket but I suspected that was unlikely to be adequate in the sort of bush I was in.

But I digress!! - The point is that while my effort failed, I had no issue with carrying the backpack and its contents, other than the energy it drained from carrying that much weight up steep inclines! I can vouch for the backpack as being a very useful way to carry the drone.
You brought up a point that I overlooked and is quite important. Bringing a form of fire suppression is another important consideration. A first aid kit (IFAK) is another item to consider......

Reactions: br14nh
You brought up a point that I overlooked and is quite important. Bringing a form of fire suppression is another important consideration. A first aid kit (IFAK) is another item to consider......
Yes, you're absolutely right - that was among the odds and ends, along with a small hand-held scanner to monitor for aircraft operating in my area (I was outside the 3nm radius of the regional airport)
:)

What do you folks use to haul your gear to a launch site when you're not in close proximity to your vehicle? I have quite a bit of equipment and I'm looking for options. Some options that I'm considering:

Gorilla Cart
Game cart

What are you using?
I use the Lowepro DroneGuard BP 250 Backpack. It has customizable compartments, so I can adjust to My Autel EVO II, Mavic 2 Pro, Skydio 2 and Mavic 3 with battery charger and tablet compartments, very efficient.

Attachments

• LowProPack.jpg
    LowProPack.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 9
I have 8 Drones, each have their own GPC Case. When traveling light, I use the cases that came with the Fly More Combo Kits for the Mavic Air, Mavic Air 2, DJI Mini 2, DJI Air 2S, Mavic 2 Pro. I have the new Pgytech carry case for the Mavic 3 Cine, and also use the DJI Sleeve for the Mavic 2 Pro (tested it and it actually works). For the DJI FPV, I use the DJI FPV Backpack, and on my Phantom 4 V2, I pretty much cary it around without it's GPC Case due to the size of the Case

Gorilla Cart
Game cart

What are you using?
My left or right hand

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. I plan to launch from woodlands and wetlands that might be a bit of a hike from my truck. All my gear is stowed in cases that are similar in nature to the Apache cases (foam lined). Now in my consideration is my ILBE pack. I haven't test fit my gear with it but I think it's handle most of my gear. My preference is a wheeled cart of some nature. Most will provide a flat surface to work off of.(with modification).
I'm still a little confused because when I see woodlands and wetlands I don't think of "carts". However, if you want a cart I have the perfect cart, but I'd have to take a photo of it and it is buried deep in a closet at the moment. It is a Magliner hand truck, but it has an extended and foldable nose plate (to use when needed) and rear wheels that are pulled out when needed. With the noseplate down and rear wheels extended the hand truck leans back about 45° and can handle a ton of stuff. I think it's rated at 500 pounds. I've had mine since 1984 or so, so I don't have a model number. I think I custom ordered it in that configuration. Not cheap, but 38 years of service and still going strong, so well worth the price.

My cart could easily carry 4 or 5 or more Apache cases, depending on how you stack them. I used to carry 4 White Lightning studio strobes (or alternately Speedotron kit with at least 4 heads) plus light stands, plus a case with 4 Hasselblad systems, a bag containing a 10'x15' background and support poles and foldable posing stools, a case with 3 Metz 60's with battery packs. A LOT of stuff, probably more than 150 pounds... and pull it with one hand. Perhaps you should Google Magliner hand trucks and see what you can come up wiith.

For lighter stuff I have a small cart that I got at Harbor Freight tools. About the most I ever used it for was for a guitar amp. It's good, relatively sturdy, It could probably take a couple cases stacked but I wouldn't try more than two and not go over whatever it's stated weight limit is.

I also have a Endorax extra large backpack if I'm out in the woods.

Attachments

• 20220118_201535.jpg
    20220118_201535.jpg
    901.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220118_200554.jpg
    IMG_20220118_200554.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220118_200446.jpg
    IMG_20220118_200446.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
I've looked at the Magliner hand trucks. Nice hand trucks but the problem with those would be the diameter of the tires. Larger diameter tires will roll a lot easier over uneven terrain and the size of hand truck tires would be problematic in the woods. They would lack adequate ground clearance and be more difficult to roll over obstacles. Unrelated but it illustrates my point, I found it necessary to replace the original tires on my kayak cart with larger diameter tires in order for me to be able to negotiate a gnarly trail that was heavily rutted and had exposed root systems. With the original tires it was a real chore to make it through. Once I replaced the tires with larger ones (which required modifying the wheel hubs), the trail became much more manageable and less physically demanding. The picture side by side doesn't appear that there's a big difference, but it made a huge difference. That said, if I go the cart route I'd prefer a 16" diameter tire.

This is much like trying to find the perfect off road vehicle. The fact is, that doesn't exist. Everything will be a compromise in some manner and none will excel in every terrain and check all the boxes.

Being that I have an Otter sled, I'll use that in some situations and I'm sure that'll be fine. For other terrains, a game cart (modified) might be the ticket. I'm leaning in that direction now but I'm certain that I'll come across situations where I'm going to have to pack my gear in.

And this goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, budget is always a consideration. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a used cart and maybe I can find a deal on one......

Attachments

• Cart tires 001.JPG
    Cart tires 001.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Cart wheels completed 001.JPG
    Cart wheels completed 001.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 2
I've looked at the Magliner hand trucks. Nice hand trucks but the problem with those would be the diameter of the tires. Larger diameter tires will roll a lot easier over uneven terrain and the size of hand truck tires would be problematic in the woods. They would lack adequate ground clearance and be more difficult to roll over obstacles. Unrelated but it illustrates my point, I found it necessary to replace the original tires on my kayak cart with larger diameter tires in order for me to be able to negotiate a gnarly trail that was heavily rutted and had exposed root systems. With the original tires it was a real chore to make it through. Once I replaced the tires with larger ones (which required modifying the wheel hubs), the trail became much more manageable and less physically demanding. The picture side by side doesn't appear that there's a big difference, but it made a huge difference. That said, if I go the cart route I'd prefer a 16" diameter tire.

This is much like trying to find the perfect off road vehicle. The fact is, that doesn't exist. Everything will be a compromise in some manner and none will excel in every terrain and check all the boxes.

Being that I have an Otter sled, I'll use that in some situations and I'm sure that'll be fine. For other terrains, a game cart (modified) might be the ticket. I'm leaning in that direction now but I'm certain that I'll come across situations where I'm going to have to pack my gear in.

And this goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, budget is always a consideration. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a used cart and maybe I can find a deal on one......
With the amount of stuff you want to take you don't need a cart. You need a sherpa. I'm not sure what kind of work you do, but when I was in full time photography mode I never went without one or two assistants. Having at least one more person made it so much easier for me to concentrate on shooting rather than on gear. If you're flying, having that second person (or third) makes for a dandy VO as well as a second set of hands to help set up gear.

Reactions: Crow Horse
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser