DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Do Your Neighbors Say?

HapK

Reactions
Hi. I live in a bedroom community of about 1,600 people. No airports nearby.
My neighbors are mostly pissed off that I fly over the streets of our neighborhood.
I am careful to not fly or hover over anyone's yard but they can't see that and are complaining about
me flying. It is legal in our area but people hate drones.
Do you have any thoughts or experience like that?
Thanks -

When i fly from my back garden I always ensure I get up to a decent height over my land so nobody can notice from the ground when I start to fly out of my boundary. Avoids any potential issues.

Thanks - Yes, me too. I make sure I am 250 feet plus when I pull out of my yard . I have also bought quieter props in an attempt to be as stealthy as possible but still get neighbors complaints..

You get complaints from 250 feet in the air? Wow. you can't see it or hear it unless you really try.

Thanks - Yes, me too. I make sure I am 250 feet plus when I pull out of my yard . I have also bought quieter props in an attempt to be as stealthy as possible but still get neighbors complaints..
If your neighbors complain about a new-prop Mavic 250 feet up, they're just looking for something to complain about and need something better to occupy their time. At that altitude I can barely hear my Mavic and I live in the woods where it's very quiet otherwise.

Last edited:
Offer them free roof inspections. I have done this for two of my neighbors and they think it is pretty cool. Have them watch and they will see that you really need to be up close to see much detail. You could even put it in Tripod mode and let them fly. You might turn them from a complainer to an enthusiast.

Having said that, I still limit my neighborhood flying to short test/practice flights a few feet above my property with the occasional jump up to 400 feet for a quick sunset shot. When most people see drone they think camera spying on them. Keeping it above your property only equates to putting your camera on a really tall ladder for a better look into their yards.

Looking at a satellite map of your town I see a lot of good looking flying close by. Flying outside of town would stop pissing off your neighbors and probably be more interesting anyway.

Only 29% of the people in our area use Nextdoor and quiet a few of them just use it to complain about anything they can complain about. But,yeah, I keep an eye on Nextdoor.- Thanks.
That would be funny if it wasn't true. I joined a neighborhood group on FB one day, and unjoined it six hours later. The complaining was enough to make me want to end it all. Why do people join together in the name of misery? Sorry for your situation ~ and your neighbors...

Reactions: 51 Drones
Most of the complaints stem from the privacy issue rather than the safety concerns. You will never make everyone comfortable, no matter how much you talk to them. Fly high, have fun, and ignore the negative Nancy's.

Hi. I live in a bedroom community of about 1,600 people. No airports nearby.
My neighbors are mostly pissed off that I fly over the streets of our neighborhood.
I am careful to not fly or hover over anyone's yard but they can't see that and are complaining about
me flying. It is legal in our area but people hate drones.
Do you have any thoughts or experience like that?
Thanks -

Is it hard to hop in the car and launch it elsewhere where noone would mind?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan