DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Does DJI Have That Is Comparable to SkyDio2 Follow-Me???

MtnFlyer

Reactions
I'm interested in a Skydio2 for the follow-me mode and crash avoidance. What does DJI offer that matches, comes close or exceeds? Not racing around on a dirt bike through the woods, but looking for something that can follow me walking around on the farm and/or following and circling a farm tractor working in the field. Not sure the Skydio2 has enough battery life and when not in follow-me mode, doesn't have a great controller - from what I've read.

Any sage advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: Rattydude77
Skydio2 is a really cool drone. I'd have gone for it myself if the remote worked farther so I could use it as a photography drone as well. Quite content with my Air 2.

Reactions: Barbara
The Skydio has a waaay more capable Obsticle avoidance performance than almost anything DJI has right now.

The Skydio, it real shines in the follow me mode, IF they had something like Occusync, then it would be a no brainer.

Reactions: Barbara
Any of the Mavic's have follow me mode and most have Obstacle Avoidance
I would suggest Mavic air 1 or 2 or any of the Mavic pros

I have the mavic zoom with smartcontroller and ride mountain bike trail riding with the smartcontroller on a lanyard I don't have to watch the drone I also wear the Epson bt35e glasses great drone and never let me down yet lol nock on wood.

Last edited:
I have both Skydio 2 and Mavic Air 2 and nothing holds a candle to Skydio 2 when it comes to autonomous flight. I've been flying drones since 2015 mainly filming action sports. I came into the game wanting some motion tracking and six years later, 10+ drones later, only Skydio 2 has delivered on the promise of autonomous flight. Skydio 2 gets about 25 minutes a flight. Long enough for me to take a snowboard run down 6-800 vert and jump on snowmobile and have it follow me back up with battery to spare. My Mavic Air 2 battery might be slightly better but generally I don't have battery issues with Skydio. The controller isn't the best that's for sure and if you are used to the precision of DJI drones when it comes to manually piloting the drone you will be disappointed. The range also sucks. It's really easy to disconnect if you have obstructions in your way or in a wifi congested area like a city.

But, from what you sound like you want to do, Skydio 2 is the best choice IMO. I've been so let down my DJI motion tracking abilities I don't even try anymore. Current DJI drones and Skydio 2 are drones for two separate purposes. If you want the best cinematic shots, incredible range, manual piloting, great photos, and good battery with the best software, DJI is your drone. If you want to throw the drone up in the air, forget about it and go run around with a drone following you, Skydio 2 is your drone.

Thanks everyone for your replies - much appreciated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard