DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is "Part 336"...

SKentBrown

Reactions
As one might guess, I am new to "Drone" / UAS flying. I have seen many references to "Part 336"...

I do not find an FAA Part 336 (14 CFR ???). Is this a reference to public law 112-95 section 336 which was the FAA’s reauthorization bill in 2012?

If not, where can one find Part 336?

Congress directed the FAA to NOT add Specific regulations for “Model Aircraft” used as a Hobby. It seems the FAA holds the opinion that 14 CFR 91 rules do apply to Model Aircraft - Hobby use, is that correct?

Lastly, section 336 indicates one needs to be a member of a Nationwide community based organization - or at least follow the rules of one. What are some of the organizations others have found useful? (I am in the Houston TX area)

Is this a reference to public law 112-95 section 336 which was the FAA’s reauthorization bill in 2012?
Yes.

Lastly, section 336 indicates one needs to be a member of a Nationwide community based organization - or at least follow the rules of one. What are some of the organizations others have found useful? (I am in the Houston TX area)
The law doesn't not indicate that you "need to be a member" of a community based organization. It only states that you need to follow the rules of one.

The AMA is the only organization that has, to date, been recognized as such by the FAA.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: ksmusa
The AMA is the only organization that has, to date, been recognized as such by the FAA.
FWIW, here are some interesting tidbits of information the FAA sent me when I emailed them about this topic some months ago:
  • The FAA has no defined authority for the recognition of a nationwide community-based organization.

• Currently, the largest nationwide community-based organization that operates model aircraft is the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA). While the AMA is the largest community-based organization, guiding you to their resources should not be taken as FAA’s endorsement of their resources.

• The AMA is a community-based organization. That’s how they define their organization.

FWIW, here are some interesting tidbits of information the FAA sent me when I emailed them about this topic some months ago:
  • The FAA has no defined authority for the recognition of a nationwide community-based organization.

• Currently, the largest nationwide community-based organization that operates model aircraft is the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA). While the AMA is the largest community-based organization, guiding you to their resources should not be taken as FAA’s endorsement of their resources.

• The AMA is a community-based organization. That’s how they define their organization.
Interesting.

AMA certainly seems to believe that the FAA has "recognized" them as a community based organization.

Government Relations | Academy of Model Aeronautics

Attachments

• FAA-400feet.pdf
    432.6 KB · Views: 5
AMA certainly seems to believe that the FAA has "recognized" them as a community based organization
No doubt. I'm sure that helps them sell their memberships.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav