DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM HEIGHT FOR MAVIC 2

DO NOT POWER OFF ANYTHING
What do you mean with that? As the drone is up in a distant location, you can not press the battery button on the AC to turn it off.

What do you mean with that? As the drone is up in a distant location, you can not press the battery button on the AC to turn it off.
Self answering. You’re correct of course, but don’t turnoff your controlling device(s), hence “don’t turn off anything” . I think everyone with a DJI drone already understands you can’t distantly turn off the battery to a drone.

but don’t turnoff your controlling device(s).
Hmmm, with the AC ON, sitting somewhere with motors not spinning, i could turn off my RC with my tablet attached, go for a coffee break, after that, i turn on my RC and tablet, wait for a successful connect and launch the AC again.

Reactions: E90RAW
Hmmm, with the AC ON, sitting somewhere with motors not spinning, i could turn off my RC with my tablet attached, go for a coffee break, after that, i turn on my RC and tablet, wait for a successful connect and launch the AC again.
Very possible.,However since I was going to be at a mile distant I chose a safer route.

They will if you climb most of the way!!

:-D

No they won't. The top of Everest is way past the ceiling for rotary aircraft. In fact one of the approach camps is at the position it is because it is the highest point they can evacuate by helicopter (in good weather). The quoted Mavic 2 ceiling is 19,000 feet. some 10,000 feet short of the summit. though given any wind at all I doubt you could even take off at lower altitudes.

EDIT. OK so I was wrong but it was only done once. Didier Delsalle - Wikipedia
However the higest ever rescue was much lower. and generally they are not evne at this hight

I found this video which shows several things you need ot be aware of. Weak signal to controller (still clear line of sight) battery drain and over current. So you may have other problems than the rotor blades not giving enough lift.

Can some one in a high area, say 11,000 feet do a similar test and see if a Mavic 2 can reach 19,000 I would be surprised but...

Reactions: E90RAW and Thomas B
When I see these "how high can I fly" questions, the one asking doesn't clarify if they mean max service ceiling, or how high from takeoff?
Firmware limits height from takeoff to be 500m. If you're taking off from ocean shore, then the 500m AGL is also MSL for that flight. If on the other hand you are flying in Denver, then the 500m applies relative to takeoff altitude.

I'm pretty sure none of the Mavics will fly at the top of Mt Everest.
Your considerations with respect to any 500m max firmware limited height above launch point are irrelevant to the OP question. He specifically says "without software restriction". It is clear he is talking about height above take off point- your considerations of MSL, AGL and which part of the planet we might be flying from for seem to add no value in the progression of this assumption fest.

Reactions: E90RAW and Thomas B
And what happens when the battery level drops? RTH will initiate- may or may not be convenient. I would also consider that depending on the distance from the controller the AC might fail to re-establish a connection.

Nothing will happen - the AC will just sit at the remote landing site until the battery shuts itself down. (Remember, engines are shut down)

No
‘Remember? Remember earlier incidents of Mavic operators being surprised AC landed away from the recorded home point would launch and attempt to RTH? Do they have a vivid imagination?

Maximum ascent speed in sport mode is 5 m/s. With that maximum, and at the power consumption rate of a fast climb which will only give around 10 minutes of battery life, that's going to get you up to around 3000 meters. Down is going to be free fall however.
Beat me to it! I was going to say, a powered ascent depleting the full battery, followed by freefall would yield maximum altitude and a multitude of M2 pieces.

And what happens when the battery level drops? RTH will initiate- may or may not be convenient. I would also consider that depending on the distance from the controller the AC might fail to re-establish a connection.
"without software restriction"....so no auto RTH

Remember earlier incidents of Mavic operators being surprised AC landed away from the recorded home point would launch and attempt to RTH?
Because of lost link initiated failsafe RTH.

But in the scenario what @Thomas B is doing, he is simply landing it's AC on a remote landing spot and has a good radio signal link. After waiting a few seconds, he then begins a new flight with a new homepoint.

But in the scenario what @Thomas B is doing, he is simply landing it's AC on a remote landing spot and has a good radio signal link. After waiting a few seconds, he then begins a new flight with a new homepoint.
I was responding to your scenario..........

What do you say to be the case there imagining you have put down the remote and wandered off for coffee?

RTH? Yes?

Exactly... although for the purpose of adding to max altitude limits by creating a new zero altitude.
I manually flew my drone home, so I cannot comment on the RTH consequences.

Exactly... although for the purpose of adding to max altitude limits by creating a new zero altitude.
I manually flew my drone home, so I cannot comment on the RTH consequences.
I think it is important that @Keule clarify his claim here- specifically that the Mavic might sit until the battery depletes and shuts down (following a controller power off) rather than RTH as others users have claimed might eventuate. The adverse consequences are obvious.

What do you say to be the case there imagining you have put down the remote and wandered off for coffee?

RTH? Yes?
Just do a simple test:

Launch as usual, fly away 100 ft and land again, be sure the engines stop.
Go for coffee. Turn off your RC. When you return, is your AC still 100 ft away? Yes

Depending on the battery level in the AC 100 ft away from you then have the following possibilities:
- Turn on the RC and reconnect with the AC 100 ft away and take off without problems
- If the battery level in the AC is too low, you will receive 'Can not take-off' and you have to go for a walk and get your stranded AC.
- The AC battery shuts down because of way too low voltage - Again, go for a walk ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldh02111