DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What makes the FAA deny Waivers?

MaverickMcBride

Reactions
I just ask because I had the same equipment as another person who had a successful nighttime waiver and basically copied it word for word.

What made them get an approval and me a denial? It was the exact same scenario equipment, and everything...

Reactions: Chirp
I just ask because I had the same equipment as another person who had a successful nighttime waiver and basically copied it word for word.

What made them get an approval and me a denial? It was the exact same scenario equipment, and everything...

There is no rational, I think they are intentionally denying applications. I applied twice for a night flight and was denied. They told me I didn’t provide enough information. The second time I applied I gave them 10 pages of documentation including maps, coordinates, and even a full litchi flight plan just for documentation. I was rejected again, reason, “not enough information”. I don’t know what else to give them unless I make crap up.

Reactions: Chirp
Person on the day

There is no rational, I think they are intentionally denying applications. I applied twice for a night flight and was denied. They told me I didn’t provide enough information. The second time I applied I gave them 10 pages of documentation including maps, coordinates, and even a full litchi flight plan just for documentation. I was rejected again, reason, “not enough information”. I don’t know what else to give them unless I make crap up.

Did you tell them why you wanted the waiver? Because you are asking for a rule to be removed for you, perhaps they want to know not only what you will do, but why you want to do it?
I have been involved granting waivers in a totally dissimilar area, and we wanted to know what was being asked for, and why.
It sure seems that they could at least tell you what more info they need. I wonder if it comes down to simply who worked your request. I had a rules question and somehow found the phone number for one of the FAA drone experts. I asked him what he spent most of his time doing, and he said "workng waivers." As I recall, at that time, they had a very small staff who work those by hand. I wish I still had his number. Perhaps if you search, you can find it, and ask him directly. Good luck.

I heard from what I consider a reliable source that you will be declined if you do not include proof that you took a night waiver course.

I was declined also for not enough information so I took a course and I'm going to apply again.

So, I wasn't even aware of light Flight courses, I guess I look on the FAA website and see if they have a flight course under their wings program thing.

I can't see anything on why they denied it, It just says denied, I'm not seeing anything about needing more information or anything.

Honestly, I just wanted to fly at night because regardless, I'm going to fly at night anyway at a 'hobbyist', But the waiver would let me be able to sell the footage and be able to use the footage in my commercial work.

So, I wasn't even aware of light Flight courses, I guess I look on the FAA website and see if they have a flight course under their wings program thing.

I can't see anything on why they denied it, It just says denied, I'm not seeing anything about needing more information or anything.

Honestly, I just wanted to fly at night because regardless, I'm going to fly at night anyway at a 'hobbyist', But the waiver would let me be able to sell the footage and be able to use the footage in my commercial work.
Sure looks like they could do a better job iof communicating. Your tax dollars at work.

I didn't know that you could still fly as a hobbyist once you have a 107 license. I thought it was an either or type of thing.

I didn't know that you could still fly as a hobbyist once you have a 107 license. I thought it was an either or type of thing.
NO, you can fly under either, if you have the 107rating. But if you fly as hobbyist, you can't then decide to sell the footage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN