DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What map do you use to check airspace

docster

Reactions
What map do you rely on to tell you if an airport that requires notification is nearby? I have Hover, Airmaps and B4UFly. Is one better than the other or is there a better one. I get slightly different reports on each and none have a key to tell me which color means what type of airspace.

Thanks for the help.

I just use the FAA one, sometimes UAV forecast for a general idea

Airmap. Also in pre planning before I am in the field, I use Skyvector to look at aerial charts, and DROTAMS.

Airmap. B4UFLY is a turd in comparison. I just reloaded it on my phone just to see if it had improved in the last year. Nope it's still a turd, laggy, horrible lack of info. It feels like it's been abandoned by the developer.

I get slightly different reports on each and none have a key to tell me which color means what type of airspace.

Thanks for the help.
If you use Airmap, you can zoom into the location and then click on the alerts and it will tell you what type of airspace you are in, if you are in Class G, then it will have a Green panel as the indicator.

Airmap and My Radar Pro - most folks do not know that My Radar Pro has a FAA Terminal Aeronautical Charts overlay (extra cost)

Airmap in a part 107 mode, despite being a hobby operator, because in hobby mode it shows every single helipod and farmer field an aircraft can potentially
use, in part 107 mode it actually shows where controlled airspace touching the surface. Those are locations you really want to avoid. You can also read this info from the sectional charts, but airmap is way easier to read, and also shows you NFRs, national parks and other NFZs etc.

Reactions: TowerGuy100
Airmap in a part 107 mode, despite being a hobby operator, because in hobby mode it shows every single helipod and farmer field an aircraft can potentially
use, in part 107 mode it actually shows where controlled airspace touching the surface. Those are locations you really want to avoid. You can also read this info from the sectional charts, but airmap is way easier to read, and also shows you NFRs, national parks and other NFZs etc.

So do you not worry about notifying the smaller airfields? I never know which of the smaller ones i need to notify, usually when i call, there is never an answer. I agree, too many show up. Maybe i should just get part 107 certified so i dont have to worry about it.

Reactions: 248TC
So do you not worry about notifying the smaller airfields? I never know which of the smaller ones i need to notify, usually when i call, there is never an answer. I agree, too many show up. Maybe i should just get part 107 certified so i dont have to worry about it.
No, i do not worry about them. I never notify airports, i either don't fly near ones with controlled airspace around them or fly below trees/buildings tops, where they obviously couldn't care less. Note that i am breaking the law by doing so, but mind it, you also breaking the law crossing the street on red. But would you wait for green if you only get it once an hour, while the street being empty most of the time, or would you use common sense?

Reactions: BigDaddyP
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan