DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What percentage of flights do you call an airport?

What percentage of your flights do you call the airport tower?

• I've never called the tower

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • I've called about 1 - 25% of my flights

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • I've called about 26 - 50% of my flights

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I've called about 51 - 75% of my flights

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I've called about 76 - 100% of my flights

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters
There would be no reason for you to fly over 400’ ,anywhere , because you are not supposed to do that. Unless that’s one rule you choose to ignore. But then why call if that’s your thinking. If aircraft will stay above the 500’ they are supposed to over population there won’t be a problem. Unless you are flying at the runway approach They can achieve 500’ pretty quickly on take off.

A: he said if he flew higher like up to 400ft
B: Tower said choppers were somewhere around 400-500ft. They can fly low.
If he told the tower he planned to fly up to 400ft, tower would have advised lower height limit or advised the low flying choppers to diverge.

Reactions: Mavic Airick
The general rules are printed on the back of our FAA Registration Cards. But many don't know that registering is required, get caught and I would imagine you won't ever forget if the FAA wanted to make an example.

i have disabled DJIs NFZs - so that isn't an issue for me. the important thing is to understand your surroundings and TALK to people. i fly pt. 107 around three local airports often. i went to the airports, introduced myself to the airport directors and had a conversation with them about who i was & what i was about. all three were very accommodating. each time i fly within their airspace - sometimes as near as 300m from a runway - i call ATC - explain my situation - and go. the people that i have encountered have all been great. one ATC even told me "if you are east of X-location - don't bother calling - you're good." that said - i am not flying out of VLOS, i'm not flying very high and because i made the introduction - they know me and know where to find me.

I live in Colorado Springs, CO. The KCOS MAP (Muni Air Port) is Class C with a 5 mile radius. Oh, lucky me, within 1.5 of the center! I am 107, so I do have to contact. Regardless of Commercial or Fun flight, I still notify FAA via the AIRMAP for LAANC permission about 24~48 hours in advance. A telephone call about 1~ 1/2 hour before flight as well. I am also required to notify KCOS Ops as well (this is just a courtesy call, not for permission as they have NO authority to grant, that's FAA's job!) These phone calls go hand in hand with me checking NOTAMS and weather as well.

KCOS does receive and send numerous US and national, and international bigwigs and sometimes NFZs are in place. There is also high small AC activity in the area as adjoining Peterson AFB has an active Aeroclub and also the landing/takeoff field for the USAFA parachute club (who, upon take off fly over the city to the USAFA on the north side whereupon they they kick out the cadets and hope the chutes work!!!), three hospitals in the immediate Springs area with helo's, US Army Butts Field with AC and choppers assigned to the Mountain Post, not to mention the Springs area is an extremely busy area for VFR training for both Mil/Civ, and finally VFR map excerpts are reviewed prior to any flight. The USAF Reserve Wing at Peterson AFB also does a lot of flyover for both time cert and fix & check on C-130s. I'm just glad that Peterson AFB itself does not have a flying mission (except for VIP taxi service), otherwise I'd probably never get off the ground.

During spring/summer/autumn the parks are too full of people to fly without overflight of persons. The best area in town, so far as I know, is an open space area across the street from the new VA clinic. It's just boring to go same area all the time. Some local parks are great, but others are so close that DJI will not permit takeoff, because they are less than 1/4 mile from center. So, for me, the best option is to always be aware and keep trying to find differing locales for flight. I enjoy doing what I do, when I do it, and where I do it, whether I fly as commercial or fun. I just try to be as safe as I can and give no cause to cast any doubt on myself and/or fellow drone pilots.

I've cast my vote at 76 to 100% of the time, I do notify!

Ignorance of the law is no excuse regardless of the situation. If you fly under a hobbyist rule and you are within 5 miles of an airport you must call them to let them know. That is the FAA regulation. It is in black and white what is hard to understand. If you take this up as a hobby it is your responsibility to look up the appropriate information not the maker of the Drone. I don't remember when I bought my new Ford truck getting something from Ford telling me how to drive it.

Reactions: Lopez0015
I should have been more clear in the poll question. Apologies. I meant of ALL your flights (both in and out the five mile radius), what percentage begin with a call to the tower. So the accuracy of the poll may be misleading.

You know there is NO test to register as 336 right? So there is NO INSTRUCTIONS to do as you say from the FAA when registering. They dont even make you read and acknowledge a single sentence of rules or regulations.
The reason people think they have to call the airport is because they read posts like yours.
I agree, if you are within a mile, and over 100' it would be a good idea but what kind of drone pilot would want to do that anyway?

A drone pilot filming a VFW parade? ha.:p

I live in Grand Island Nebraska. Sounds VERY similar to your town. The Yellow ring covers most of town. NO you do not need to call. Unless you want to use their runways! :D

The first few times I called the airport near me (4.75 miles away), the Admin folks said I didn't have to call as long as I stayed below 400'. Then a few months later, after reading opposite views on this forum, I called again, got this nice lady who instructed me that I had to call every time I flew within 5 miles of the field. Depending on which end of the runway you are near, you are restricted to 200' or less. At my distance, the nice lady said I could fly up to 400' & she wrote down my name, phone number & how long I would be flying from that area, but didn't care which side of the 5 mile circle I was flying. I have called her dozens of times since then.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven