DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What SD card will you be using with the Mavic?

ArcticFlightman

Reactions
While we wait for our precious Mavic´s to arrive, how about a little discussion about what type of SD card would be best to use, both quality, size and price ?

To film 4K, it has to have a certain data rate (mb/s) and such.
I went for the combo package, so i get three batteries, so I guess i should make sure to have enough space on the memory card for 75 minutes of 4K footage.

Please drop your input and thoughts in this topic.

Since DJI ships the Mavic (and Phantoms) with a class 10 memory card that writes at 40MB/s, so that's what I always recommend to people. Because, well, they just work. You can find a list of memory cards that work well here.

A faster memory card also comes in handy when transferring files to/from the memory card.

Last edited:
I have a Class 10 32GB card as a spare for my P3 so will use that. Due to the high data rates required a UH1 or class 10 card would be best

I plan on buying the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB card for the extra high transfer and write speed (up to 90/95mbps). They are UH3, and a little over twice the price of the UH1 Class 10 cards I already have, but I don't want that perfect shot to turn out badly because of a speed issue.

Reactions: ArcticFlightman
Since DJI ships the Mavic (and Phantoms) with a class 10 memory card that writes at 40MB/s, so that's what I always recommend to people. Because, well, they just work. You can find a list of memory cards that work well here.

A faster memory card also comes in handy when transferring files to/from the memory card.
Oh, the Mavis comes with an SD Card!? I did not know that! Great! But what is the size of it? Not very big I would assume!?

Last edited:
Cracks me up that they would stick a 16GB card in a 4K camera, knowing it doesn't have a large enough capacity for most, thus supporting the card suppliers.
From what I understand a 16GB card will hold more 4K video than you can capture in a single flight, so if you swap each flight that's all you need. And some argue that you should swap each flight so you don't potentially lose all your previous footage if you should lose the drone. Personally I prefer a larger card but there's logic to that thought.

The Sandisk Extreme 64GB UHS-3 cards are a good deal, carry the new V30 video rating (guaranteed minimum 30 mbps write speed, maximum 60 mbps) and are designed for 4K GoPros so should be a good choice for a high speed memory card for a drone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HU3Q6S4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
From what I understand a 16GB card will hold more 4K video than you can capture in a single flight, so if you swap each flight that's all you need. And some argue that you should swap each flight so you don't potentially lose all your previous footage if you should lose the drone. Personally I prefer a larger card but there's logic to that thought.

The Sandisk Extreme 64GB UHS-3 cards are a good deal, carry the new V30 video rating (guaranteed minimum 30 mbps write speed, maximum 60 mbps) and are designed for 4K GoPros so should be a good choice for a high speed memory card for a drone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HU3Q6S4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I do 3-5 flights at a time and don't want to mess with that many cards. 25 min of 4K video will fill a 16GB card to 75% or better so you only get one flight per card for all practical purposes. I would rather have one large card, and as for losing the bird, well, in that case I'm not worrying about a sd card am I. I have over 300 miles of flight between the 3 quads I have owned and never had any issue with getting one home.

I will use the SanDisk Extreme 64GB, this worked fine for the 4k Video with the Phantom.

I will also carry a WD Wireless 2TB Harddisk, which has a SD Card reader. So I can easily transfer the files from the SD card on the go, without carrying a Laptop.

Those SanDisk 64GB Extreme card that you have linked are UHS-1 and NOT UHS-3. The ONLY UHS-3 micro ad card that I know of is the extreme Pro.

Multiple cards should be used. If you plan on using more than one battery, then you should have 1 16GB card per battery at least. If you take a computer or HDD that allows you to dump the data, then you can get by with 2 (one in the bird, one to dump). I have 4 cards (2 64, 2 32). I like a little growing room, just in case.

I have a 128 Extreme that I bought off amazon for $40 that worked fine in a Phantom 4, but just in case I order two extreme pro 64GB cards as well. They are the fastest and best. Amazons deal on them is $60+ dollars less than Best High (Best Buy) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few each of the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards in 16, 32 and 64GB, due to my DSLR photography. So I'll just cycle some of those into use for the Mavic Pro.

Reactions: kykayak

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000