DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to do when your drone is in a tree…

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
OK, your Drone is up in a tree, you are using "Find My Drone" and you can hear the beeping, but you do not see any blinking… and you video only shows leaves and a few passing clouds.

I have put my non-DJI Drone in a tree and I spent over an hour trying to find it. Finally, my wife came out and said, “What Tree?” I pointed and she said, “Don’t you see it? It’s right there!”

After she pointed to it, (as they say…) I couldn’t stop seeing it, it was in plain sight.

So, if you put your Drone up a tree and you've cannot spot it, perhaps all you need a “New Set of Eyes” to see what you are looking at but do not see…

So, whether you've found it or had to find a friend to find your Drone, what are you going to do when your Drone is so far up a tree that you cannot reach it? On the other hand, you've climbed up the tree and your Drone is so far out on a limb that the branch would not support a squirrel? Moreover, all the jumping up and down doesn't shake your Drone free, and only puts your life in danger?

In my case, my Drone wasn't up too terribly high and I went and got my 20’ Telescoping Crappie Fishing Pole and easily retrieved it. I have fabricated two interchangeable wire ends, one a hook and the other a loop, depending if I want to push, pull, or grab…

Here is a link to the Telescoping Crappie Fishing Pole that I am writing about; these poles go out to 30’…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HJ3BBLF?tag=csfishing-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 1

Pole.jpg

In addition, this Telescoping Crappie Fishing Pole just might save your life and limb, it's safer than jumping up and down on a tree limb, and a lot more non-violent than throwing rocks and sticks at your Drone in the hope of knocking it down…

Happy and Safe Droning.

Barney DeCat

Lots of threads on the forum about recovering drones from trees in the past.
So many inspirational ways to do so have been invented and pondered here.

I'll keep avoiding them, not had an issue so far after 4 years, touch wood (ha, not tree wood either).

Tree fellers climb trees like monkeys, an option to hire one if based nearby and the drone replacement cost vs recovery cost is warranted.
Others use long pvc pipe, slingshots with weights / cord, archery equipment, to get a cord over a branch, another drone with grappling hook, hire a cherry picker with bucket, chainsaw (desperate now).

Strobes like the FHT Dual or ARCII are small and light, easy to velcro on, very easy to spot in such circumstances.

OK, your Drone is up in a tree, you are using "Find My Drone" and you can hear the beeping, but you do not see any blinking… and you video only shows leaves and a few passing clouds.
If you can hear it but not see it, try attaching your phone to a pole with it's video recording along with sound and move the phone camera around in and out of the tree. Then bring it back down and check the recording and see if the drone's beeping has changed in intensity in playback. If it has, you might use the video to better locate the correct area.
BTW: that's one skookum pole...

Reactions: Blacksheep Pilot

I have put my non-DJI Drone in a tree and I spent over an hour trying to find it. Finally, my wife came out and said, “What Tree?” I pointed and she said, “Don’t you see it? It’s right there!”

After she pointed to it, (as they say…) I couldn’t stop seeing it, it was in plain sight.

So, if you put your Drone up a tree and you've cannot spot it, perhaps all you need a “New Set of Eyes” to see what you are looking at but do not see…

So, whether you've found it or had to find a friend to find your Drone, what are you going to do when your Drone is so far up a tree that you cannot reach it? On the other hand, you've climbed up the tree and your Drone is so far out on a limb that the branch would not support a squirrel? Moreover, all the jumping up and down doesn't shake your Drone free, and only puts your life in danger?

In my case, my Drone wasn't up too terribly high and I went and got my 20’ Telescoping Crappie Fishing Pole and easily retrieved it. I have fabricated two interchangeable wire ends, one a hook and the other a loop, depending if I want to push, pull, or grab…

Here is a link to the Telescoping Crappie Fishing Pole that I am writing about; these poles go out to 30’…

View attachment 136529

In addition, this Telescoping Crappie Fishing Pole just might save your life and limb, it's safer than jumping up and down on a tree limb, and a lot more non-violent than throwing rocks and sticks at your Drone in the hope of knocking it down…

Happy and Safe Droning.

Barney DeCat

Do they make an 88' pole? 😒

View attachment 136529

Happy and Safe Droning.

Barney DeCat
We had a DJI Mavic Air in a tree (70ft). We got permission from the landowner to cut the tree down. The drone bounced 6-8 feet in the air when the tree hit. It was in the rain at the top of the tree for a few days. My friend noticed it.(Luck). It was fine when I got it home.

• Wow
Reactions: Droniac
Funny you would ask, because that is exactly the height where I embedded my Mini2 in a White Pine. Thankfully a couple days later we had enough of a breeze that it fell and had the descent slowed by a few other trees.

It landed right side up without a scratch and after charging the (very dead) battery, I was off and flying again. 🤞

I've never tried one of these. How much did it cost? Is it easy to handle? Does it stay stiff at full length? Do you have a link for the 50 footer?
No you don't want to buy one. They are very expensive and made for opening and closing high voltage distribution circuits. But they have to be dielectric tested every year and some fail. If you know someone who is a lineman for a power company you might be able to get one that failed for free before it hits the trash. They are a bit heavy so to use them you extend each section straight up to the desired height. I pulled a lot of stuff off power lines with these over the years and retrieved a friends Spark out of a tree about 40 feet up. Grabbed the limb and shook it until it fell into the grass. If he didn't have a FH strobe flashing on his Spark, we would have never found it even knowing what tree it was in.

Amazon sells a 25 foot aluminum boat hook (keep away from power lines!) and although not a 50 footer, these are light, pretty strong, much cheaper, and easy to use.

No but add a 24 foot extension ladder gets you a bit closer. Just another thought; if you are anywhere near a power line you might be able to convince the power company to remove it for you. Using an aluminum pole around power lines is a Darwin award entry.

• Haha
Funny you would ask, because that is exactly the height where I embedded my Mini2 in a White Pine. Thankfully a couple days later we had enough of a breeze that it fell and had the descent slowed by a few other trees.

It landed right side up without a scratch and after charging the (very dead) battery, I was off and flying again. 🤞
Awesome story! For our crashed Air, I was told the trees were 40-60 feet tops. So we decided to stay above 75ft (bad mistake). We only had it for a couple of weeks. My wife was flying it and boom, we saw branches and that was it. I couldn't find it. We knew the general vicinity but, no luck. It started raining that night for a couple of days. 2 friends came out with my wife and me. My friend noticed it almost at the top of a tree that he said was at least 75 ft. The other friend was the person who told me the trees are not over 60ft. Humf! I now have a Mavic 2 Zoom and generally stay well over 100ft. My poor wife was traumatized and has not used the drone since!

So sorry for your loss. Hope you can get it

Well mine ended up in a pine tree. I couldn't find it but could hear the beeping.
Many tree trimming companies in my area have this bucket machine which will fit between a 4ft fence gate yet rise to 90ft. So I hired the company and within 15 minutes I had my drone back.
I also bought a very bright colored skin. The DJI drones are grey and very hard to see, the skin fixed that--- now it is very easy to see.

That’s what I used to retrieve my Mavic Air out of a tree. It did require my 25 ft extending ladder as well. It was worth the money. But first, you must hope you can locate the drone in the branches. I was lucky that I had enough battery power to use he find my drone feature to see it blinking and beeping and took a picture from the ground so I can always locate it. It took a few days to receive my pole from Amazon and it rained two days in a row. Once I retrieved it, I put it in a bag of rice for an entire day, crossed my fingers and have been flying with no problems.

Attachments

• 057FC5C0-E67D-49E0-B54E-BB5D2B050AF0.jpeg
    057FC5C0-E67D-49E0-B54E-BB5D2B050AF0.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 17
No you don't want to buy one. They are very expensive and made for opening and closing high voltage distribution circuits. But they have to be dielectric tested every year and some fail. If you know someone who is a lineman for a power company you might be able to get one that failed for free before it hits the trash. They are a bit heavy so to use them you extend each section straight up to the desired height. I pulled a lot of stuff off power lines with these over the years and retrieved a friends Spark out of a tree about 40 feet up. Grabbed the limb and shook it until it fell into the grass. If he didn't have a FH strobe flashing on his Spark, we would have never found it even knowing what tree it was in.

Amazon sells a 25 foot aluminum boat hook (keep away from power lines!) and although not a 50 footer, these are light, pretty strong, much cheaper, and easy to use.

Love that tool. Looks well made. Ordering one in the hopes I’ll never need it. Thanks for the share. Flysafe & Godspeed, Droniac

Shake the tree and hope for the best.

No but add a 24 foot extension ladder gets you a bit closer. Just another thought; if you are anywhere near a power line you might be able to convince the power company to remove it for you. Using an aluminum pole around power lines is a Darwin award entry.
I once called on my local fire dept. And when time permitted they more than helped me. It was more like a … quest. Great group. Flysafe. Recheck RTH and Godspeed, Droniac

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS