Join Us Now

What We Know About the DJI Customs Issue

GFields

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
digitalphotocreations.co
On October 16, 2024, Reuters reported that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is blocking the import of some DJI drones, citing the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act (UFLPA). DJI, the world’s largest drone manufacturer, controls over half of the U.S. drone market, making the news of a DJI customs ban significant for the industry. This report is based on a leaked letter sent by DJI to its distributors and subsequently obtained by Reuters. DJI responded to the Reuters article with a blog post providing additional context and refuting the claims.

How Customs is Blocking Some Shipments​

Customs is reportedly stopping larger shipments at the border, while some smaller shipments may still get through. This suggests that drone imports into the U.S. are being affected inconsistently. DJI says that it is actively working to provide CBP with the documentation needed to prove compliance with U.S. laws and to resolve the issue.

Broader Scrutiny of Chinese Drones​

This customs hold is unrelated to the ongoing legislative efforts targeting Chinese-made drones, such as the Countering CCP Drones Act, recently passed by the U.S. House of Representatives. That bill, which still awaits Senate action, seeks to bar new DJI drones from operating in the U.S. due to concerns over security and supply chain risks from Chinese made drone technology. In contrast, the current customs situation stems from the UFLPA and focuses on labor practices rather than data or security concerns.

Last month, the U.S. Commerce Department also announced that it is considering further restrictions on Chinese drones, with Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo stating, “We’re looking at drones that have Chinese and Russian equipment, chips, and software in them.” However, the customs issue currently affecting DJI shipments is independent of these legislative and regulatory discussions.

[Continue Reading} Credit: DroneLife

This suggests that drone imports into the U.S. are being affected inconsistently
I can confirm. My order had no trouble getting through Customs:

1729532295223.png

I am guessing that this mess is causing many to wait on ordering or perhaps not ordering at all. It really frustrates me that we are not able to obtain the equipment we need to carry out our business. This seems unconstitutional to me (not bringing politics into it).

I have said it many times and I'll say it again, If there were American-made drones and accessories that match (or even came close to) the quality and price of DJI drones, I'd buy one TODAY. Unfortunately, they don't exist. The best Ameircan-made drones are so costly, that a small business owner can't afford one, and even then, the quality is not on par with DJI drones.

Although there has been no proof of any data being leaked to the Chinese via drone, I doubt that they could care less about the Commerical real estate shoots I do. Well, unless they want to duplicate a Winn-Dixie. lol

Although there has been no proof of any data being leaked to the Chinese via drone, I doubt that they could care less about the Commerical real estate shoots I do. Well, unless they want to duplicate a Winn-Dixie. lol
This is what burns my britches more than any other aspect of this mess. Companies need DJI drones to conduct business. First responders need them to save lives, and the folks in Washington couldn't care less about their own constituents.

It makes one wonder if the clowns in DC have any idea what drones actually can do. Maybe it would be good for a dealer around Washington DC to invite some congress critters out to go flying and show them how they are used for search and rescue, police surveillance, and other things.

I am guessing that this mess is causing many to wait on ordering or perhaps not ordering at all. It really frustrates me that we are not able to obtain the equipment we need to carry out our business. This seems unconstitutional to me (not bringing politics into it).

I have said it many times and I'll say it again, If there were American-made drones and accessories that match (or even came close to) the quality and price of DJI drones, I'd buy one TODAY. Unfortunately, they don't exist. The best Ameircan-made drones are so costly, that a small business owner can't afford one, and even then, the quality is not on par with DJI drones.

I think this is all about the federal government trying to stop enriching the CCP government who is using profits Chinese companies generate from the US to build up their defense forces. The CCP is aggressively acting in the South China Sea because they now have more ships than the US and the government fears that it'll only get worse as they make more money from us. In a way I support this move; on the other hand I also want to be able to buy the best product (drone or otherwise) from China. I already have 6 DJI drones and other DJI products so I'm anxiously waiting to see what happens.

With my Air3s pending delivery, I reached out to my US Senator hoping to get some clarity on the proposed DJI ban. Who knows what the final bill will look like. The one year after passage comment is interesting. This is his response:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about the Countering CCP Drones Act (H.R. 2864). I am committed to bolstering America’s national security against the threat of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) while also ensuring first responders and other small businesses that rely on drones are not disrupted.

The Countering CCP Drones Act would prohibit new models of Da-Jiang Innovations (DJI) drones from connecting to U.S. communications infrastructure beginning one year after its passage. This bill would not affect any previously purchased drones and it would not result in anyone’s drones being taken away. The legislation also establishes a grant initiative for state and local law enforcement agencies and first responders to replace their DJI drones with ones made in the United States.

The Department of Defense (DoD) has stated that drones manufactured by DJI pose potential threats to national security and has formally listed DJI as a Chinese military company operating in the United States. Make no mistake, the Chinese Communist Party is one of our greatest foreign adversaries, and there is no doubt China is attempting to replace us as the world’s leading military and economic power. That’s why I believe that the United States must take a real look at the national security risks associated with allowing bad actors to potentially spy on Americans and access sensitive data through our use of CCP controlled technology.

As your Senator, I will always work to defend America’s national security and support Montana’s small businesses. There is no doubt drones are a critically important technology, but our nation must find a way to source future drones that doesn’t threaten our privacy or national security, which is why I support having a debate on this bill. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jon Tester
United States Senator

Hey all - I've deleted several posts that were going off-topic and becoming overly political - something we avoid here in this community. It is challenging with this topic as politics may be involved. That said, this isn't the place to air your grievances for any political leaders, party or governing body. Those will be deleted.

Reactions: WShade
Hi all,

I found this forum post when I ran into news of DJI import issues shortly after ordering my first real drone a Mini 4 Pro, oh boy the hoops I needed to jump through with DHL, even for the Mini which is well below the $2,500 threshold they still required me to send in my 1040 IRS doc. Good news is my Mini is now out for delivery after being in CBP Limbo since Sunday. I truly hope they didn't mangle anything during their "clearance events".

Looking forward to all the great info on here.

Ian

Hi all,

I found this forum post when I ran into news of DJI import issues shortly after ordering my first real drone a Mini 4 Pro, oh boy the hoops I needed to jump through with DHL, even for the Mini which is well below the $2,500 threshold they still required me to send in my 1040 IRS doc. Good news is my Mini is now out for delivery after being in CBP Limbo since Sunday. I truly hope they didn't mangle anything during their "clearance events".

Looking forward to all the great info on here.

Ian
Where can I get the form?

Where can I get the form?
It was sent to me by DHL it is a web submission and if they require the second step of verification you will need to upload an Image of your IRS form 1040 (just the top part, you don't need to show how much you earned) these instructions will be sent to you via email or text from DHL if required.

Reactions: Steelgtr
I think this is all about the federal government trying to stop enriching the CCP government who is using profits Chinese companies generate from the US to build up their defense forces. The CCP is aggressively acting in the South China Sea because they now have more ships than the US and the government fears that it'll only get worse as they make more money from us. In a way I support this move; on the other hand I also want to be able to buy the best product (drone or otherwise) from China. I already have 6 DJI drones and other DJI products so I'm anxiously waiting to see what happens.

Who knows what is actually behind the actions of any politician, but it makes no sense to think that the government has singled out DJI because of profits. Whatever revenue DJI pulls in is dwarfed by other electronics, as well as by other industries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr0nk3rt