DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whats the best app?

Pick up my MM tomorrow. My first drone and I'm 62! I know, silly old sod! Question is what app should I be using on my mobile. Some say FLY some say GO. Is it purely a matter of preference or as a complete novice pilot, is one going to suit me more? HELP please!
welcome to the forum the only app that works for the MM right now is the fly app from an even older silly old sod

Hiya @EgorTheRed, and welcome to the forums, and to the world of drones! And don't worry man, many here are in the same age group (myself included) and even older. So sit back, learn all you can, ask as many questions as you want, and most of all have fun!

For the Mavic Mini, you are limited (for now) to using the DJI Fly app. You need to download and install it onto your phone or tablet, and hopefully you made sure already that the phone or tablet is compatible with the app.

Like I said, any questions........ just ask!

Awwww..... OMM beat me to it!!!!

Hiya @EgorTheRed, and welcome to the forums, and to the world of drones! And don't worry man, many here are in the same age group (myself included) and even older. So sit back, learn all you can, ask as many questions as you want, and most of all have fun!

For the Mavic Mini, you are limited (for now) to using the DJI Fly app. You need to download and install it onto your phone or tablet, and hopefully you made sure already that the phone or tablet is compatible with the app.

Thanks. Wish me luck!

sorry my fellow flyer that has happened to me more times than i can remember,so many helpful people on this forum its great though

Not old just from BE (Before Electronics). We remember time before rockets and cell phones, much less drones. What an incredible time we live in.
Note: Buy Care Refresh. Cheap insurance for a fragile drone.

Pick up my MM tomorrow. My first drone and I'm 62! I know, silly old sod! Question is what app should I be using on my mobile. Some say FLY some say GO. Is it purely a matter of preference or as a complete novice pilot, is one going to suit me more? HELP please!
Start off by downloading the UAV forecast app. Use it before you fly. Kittyhawk is a good app or airmap, to use as a reference for fly zones, forecast ect. Just remember wind may be calm on the ground but different at 100 ft. check your uav forecast. I for one just thought you by a drone and its under 250 grams and your good to go. Any little thing you add to that , register it with FAA. It covers your rear end. Not even bad to have as peice of mind. learn your different airspace zones and what they mean. then you be safe and good to go. Happy flying

EgorTRed Mark Your Bird. Read the section here on Crash and fly away assistance. It is an eye opener and can keep you from making others mistakes. Practice low and slow until you get the hand movements logged in your brain. Learn everything there is to know about return to home and how to keep flying if you lose the picture on your device. Now go have fun.
GreatGramps. Seems there's more than a few of us here. Hope to make GrGrGramps someday. More to play with. Go fly, with Fly

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
63, so beat you :) just got my first DJI drone, Mavic Air. Had a Parrot Bebop before (Yes I know, NOW).

Pick up my MM tomorrow. My first drone and I'm 62!
Welcome EgorTheRed! Many of us older guys are just getting into drones. Many of us have questions, especially about the technology, but also about the situations we find ourselves in or the areas we fly - or wish to fly.
I've had a Mavic Mini for about a month and a half - and LOVE it. I can't believe how much there is to learn and how stimulating the whole drone "thing" is. During this COVID-19 lockdown thing, the drone has given me something to focus on, something to enjoy while outdoors and alone. Something to take a road trip for, and then come home and start viewing, editing and, occasionally, posting video or photos.
It is amazingly easy to do something stupid, so when people say, "read the manual" and "practice RTH" (return to home) they aren't just spouting off. If you don't want to lose or damage your drone, take it step by step. I've been there, with my heart in my throat thinking "oh, sh**!" So far, I've squeaked thru. Haven't lost or hurt my Mini, but I have had to change two pairs of propellers... I watched dozens and dozens of YouTube videos and continue to search YouTube and this forum when I have questions.
You are in for a really good time! Happy flying

ps: The DJI Fly app is your only choice with the Mavic Mini.

Welcome EgorTheRed! Many of us older guys are just getting into drones. Many of us have questions, especially about the technology, but also about the situations we find ourselves in or the areas we fly - or wish to fly.
I've had a Mavic Mini for about a month and a half - and LOVE it. I can't believe how much there is to learn and how stimulating the whole drone "thing" is. During this COVID-19 lockdown thing, the drone has given me something to focus on, something to enjoy while outdoors and alone. Something to take a road trip for, and then come home and start viewing, editing and, occasionally, posting video or photos.
It is amazingly easy to do something stupid, so when people say, "read the manual" and "practice RTH" (return to home) they aren't just spouting off. If you don't want to lose or damage your drone, take it step by step. I've been there, with my heart in my throat thinking "oh, sh**!" So far, I've squeaked thru. Haven't lost or hurt my Mini, but I have had to change two pairs of propellers... I watched dozens and dozens of YouTube videos and continue to search YouTube and this forum when I have questions.
You are in for a really good time! Happy flying

ps: The DJI Fly app is your only choice with the Mavic Mini.

@EgorTheRed - I see from your original post that you were anxiously expecting arrival of your mini several months ago. Hope you are flying safe and enjoying it.

@SW_Drone_Guy - Good advice for all flyers!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke