DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's wrong with some people?

I’m not familiar with the media drone rules. Are they the same as ours? Or can the media get a permit (or some kind of special permission) to fly over crowds?

Of coor

yes, indeed.
Actually, this is not quite accurate as a statement of the Canadian regulations.

An SFOC is not required to fly “over people”. CARs 901.62(c) gives that authority to anyone with an Advanced Ops certificate provided the RPA has the required “manufacturer declaration” under 901.69(1)(c). (One could also note that there is now at least one certified parachute attachment for RPAs that will put an RPA that is otherwise not permitted into the permitted category.)

A quick look at the regulation on when an SFOC is required will identify that flying “over people” is not one of the listed conditions. [CARs 903.01]

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Can someone please explain what fly over constitutes? There must be a height at which it would be considered just flying.

If you are flying a 2 lb drone between 20 & 400 ft you cannot fly over people, schools or roads because you might crash & kill someone but if you are flying a humongous US Air Force tanker with thousands & thousands of gallons of highly explosive fuel, you can & they do fly over people, schools, & roads at 500' high but you are not a danger to anyone. This all makes perfect sense to me... ROFLMAO!...

Reactions: Clipper707
If you are flying a 2 lb drone between 20 & 400 ft you cannot fly over people, schools or roads because you might crash & kill someone but if you are flying a humongous US Air Force tanker with thousands & thousands of gallons of highly explosive fuel, you can & they do fly over people, schools, & roads at 500' high but you are not a danger to anyone. This all makes perfect sense to me... ROFLMAO!...

Ah! but the US air force personnel and pilots have been professionally trained and follow the rules whereas drone pilots ............................

• Sad
Reactions: Drgnfli
Physopto Are you from Newcastle or Newcastle upon Tyne? If the latter, there is a beautiful bridge there I'd like to fly over and film and the river. Any law against that?
Way OT from this thread:
I take it from your question they're different places. Newcastle upon Tyne is where the ale is from, right? Where's the other?

Way OT from this thread:
I take it from your question they're different places. Newcastle upon Tyne is where the ale is from, right? Where's the other?

HERE

Reactions: 23tony
NUT is where the bridge is, designed by the same chap as the sydney harbour bridge.

However, don't fly over it when there are riots as the ever-so-virtuous on here might get bent out of shape

Reactions: 23tony

It's great that you find this subject so hilarious. It's unfortunate that you don't understand the difference between highly trained pilots flying expensive manned aircraft with multiple redundant systems and total novices flying consumer drones that are susceptible to both pilot error and single-point system failure. It's also unfortunate that you don't understand that the existence of any specific risk doesn't imply that all lesser risks should therefore be ignored.

• Haha
Reactions: Drgnfli
... they really need to start making these areas a nfz.

All three major cities in Ohio established TFRs over downtowns during the protest activity. Here in Columbus, I still can't get LAANC authorizations for downtown, even though the TFR is no longer in place (the area is normally LAANC eligible to 400 ft.).

I agree with the comments doubting that those flying over large crowds are in this forum, yet also agree that this is potentially the stuff giving us all a bad name.

Drgnfli,
The routine peventive and predictive maintenance of aircraft service is very comprehesive. And like anything man made there are casualties which often a highly trained pilot can overcome. As for my drone, if it sounds good and looks good let it fly. I dont recall any required sceduled maintenance on my drone.

It's entirely possible to fly legally and get shots of crowds by not flying directly over people. And why would you say avoid this unless you are the news? Citizens ARE news. I think recent events in this country perfectly demonstrated that. News doesn't get a pass on following rules.

Drgnfli,
I dont recall any required sceduled maintenance on my drone.

Lucky you.

I have to lubricate the RTH, pressurize the landing gear, check the brake pads which are always wearing out. (Heavy landings) Check the props for fly damage and clean the blood and guts off the fuselage to increase the aerodynamic properties and polish the vortex generators with a Dremmel. The lunar wayne shaft is usually out of alignment and the turbo encabulator is usually requiring attention. Damm thing. I feel sure that I could really do without it at times. If you do not know what it is see HERE

Although the video was made some years ago the makers have reduced the size to 3.4mm x 5.43mm which fits nicely into my Mavic 2 Pro but I strongly advise you not to fit one. It plays havoc with the concurrent device in the motor flux windings.

Finally, I kick the tyres to show people what I know I am doing. Then I dig the stones out of the treads on the tyres and check for FOD in the tyres themselves. Blasted pre fight checks are the bane of the UK pilots lives.

No need to thank me for the above advice. Us pilots must help each other.

Happy flying

Last edited:
Lucky you.

I have to lubricate the RTH, pressurize the landing gear, check the brake pads which are always wearing out. (Heavy landings) Check the props for fly damage and clean the blood and guts off the fuselage to increase the aerodynamic properties and polish the vortex generators with a Dremmel. The lunar wayne shaft is usually out of alignment and the turbo encabulator is usually requiring attention. Damm thing. I feel sure that I could really do without it at times. If you do not know what it is see HERE

Although the video was made some years ago the makers have reduced the size to 3.4mm x 5.43mm which fits nicely into my Mavic 2 Pro but I strongly advise you not to fit one. It plays havoc with the concurrent device in the motor flux windings.

Finally, I kick the tyres to show people what I know I am doing. Then I dig the stones out of the treads on the tyres and check for FOD in the tyres themselves. Blasted pre fight checks are the bane of the UK pilots lives.

Happy flying
Reallly not sure where you are going with all that. Maybe I can be more clear. I would rather have a plane flying over my head with trained pilots (carrying whatever you can think of) than have a drone bought on the internet by whoever over my head.

Lucky you.

Happy flying
Ah, the famous “Retro Encabulator”.

It's great that you find this subject so hilarious. It's unfortunate that you don't understand the difference between highly trained pilots flying expensive manned aircraft with multiple redundant systems and total novices flying consumer drones that are susceptible to both pilot error and single-point system failure. It's also unfortunate that you don't understand that the existence of any specific risk doesn't imply that all lesser risks should therefore be ignored.
First of all I don't "...find this subject so hilarious" at all. I think it is stupid to put so many restrictions on a fracking toy. Let me think about the difference between a 2 lb drone & an Air Force tanker crashing into a school.... Naww! no difference at all! But lets restrict all the "toys" so only qualified aircraft pilots are allowed to fly them even though there are almost zero deadly accidents with our "toys" even by reckless, uninformed, untrained rookie drone pilots. IMHO, there are already enough restrictions, laws, & rules curtailing the use of toy UAVs which I follow to the letter & I do not "ignore... all the lesser risks."

Reactions: BikerBuster
I wouldn't do that anyway. waste of battery is not worth it. I use my dore for beautiful scenery not a waste of airspace like a protesting area. And like others said, you should not fly over people. We can cure CORONA but can't cure stupid.

Reactions: Otisangb
First of all I don't "...find this subject so hilarious" at all. I think it is stupid to put so many restrictions on a fracking toy. Let me think about the difference between a 2 lb drone & an Air Force tanker crashing into a school.... Naww! no difference at all! But lets restrict all the "toys" so only qualified aircraft pilots are allowed to fly them even though there are almost zero deadly accidents with our "toys" even by reckless, uninformed, untrained rookie drone pilots. IMHO, there are already enough restrictions, laws, & rules curtailing the use of toy UAVs which I follow to the letter & I do not "ignore... all the lesser risks."

Well if you don't find it hilarious then what's with all the "ROFLMAO!" nonsense in your posts?

And it's not the restrictions that are stupid, it's the behaviors that they are trying to prevent. Behaviors in part at least driven by attitudes like yours that apparently don't see any difference in risk level (probability and consequence combined) between an Air Force tanker properly maintained and flown by trained and qualified personnel with full accountability for their flight versus a recklessly piloted sUAS flown by someone with no training or knowledge at all and whom clearly you would like to have no accountability at all.

Calling your drone a toy doesn't magically make it safe - quite the opposite probably - or exempt it from regulation.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15