DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's wrong with some people?

I am terrified to fly over people, even if its just for a quick moment.

But since we are on the topic, I thought this was a cool study that examines how much damage a drone could do to the body.

To summarize some of the points - a fatal injury from a drone is obviously highly unlikely at this point in time.
They compared drones to debris of similar mass and found that the construction of a drone can help mitigate the damage by adsorbing a good bit of the energy.
Definitely need to have rules and even design guidelines in place to minimize the risk especially as we move into having more commercial drones above carrying payloads.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Reallly not sure where you are going with all that. Maybe I can be more clear. I would rather have a plane flying over my head with trained pilots (carrying whatever you can think of) than have a drone bought on the internet by whoever over my head.

Nothing meant by it and no connotations of derogatory insinuations or any other insinuation(s) should be made from the statement contained therein above. ;)

My post was just a bit of fun to help pass the time during CV-19 lockdown.

Hi ho. Its surprising what the effects of having to stay indoors do, I have even started to actually talk to the wife, however, things appear to be relaxing slowly on the freedom front.

Lets not get too hot and bothered under the collar about what should be and what we would like to modify. Things are as they are whether we like them or not. We all have to live by rules and regs and there is precious little we can do to change them.The bottom line is accidents can happen with anything and anywhere as illustrated HERE - thats why there are rules and regs.

AND

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Opinions are all wrong - and right. Its all part of life so accept it or it will drive you nuts. My opinions are ALWAYS right however, unless the wife says I am wrong of course.

Last edited:
Before criticizing, are we even sure that these pilots are even aware of this forum? The members of this forum have been well-schooled in the proper way to fly. As the saying goes, we are "preaching to the choir." This forum is not the audience, unfortunately. These cavalier pilots only think of themselves. Hopefully, if they post to social media they will be discovered and dealt with by authorities. Hopefully, these arrests will be well publicized as a deterrent.
Well said. Thank you.

That two pound "toy" doing 30 MPH is a fatal blow to the head of a human.
Really? So is a Little League baseball bat - let's regulate them more strictly! Besides when was the last time you heard a drone causing a fatal blow to a human?

I am terrified to fly over people, even if its just for a quick moment.

But since we are on the topic, I thought this was a cool study that examines how much damage a drone could do to the body.

To summarize some of the points - a fatal injury from a drone is obviously highly unlikely at this point in time.
They compared drones to debris of similar mass and found that the construction of a drone can help mitigate the damage by adsorbing a good bit of the energy.
Definitely need to have rules and even design guidelines in place to minimize the risk especially as we move into having more commercial drones above carrying payloads.
Oh no...why do kids on tricycles fall over?

$$$ billions later...

Because they have three wheels.

Maybe the kid riding it could've told you...

Reactions: Flycaster
Really? So is a Little League baseball bat - let's regulate them more strictly! Besides when was the last time you heard a drone causing a fatal blow to a human?
In my opinnion i do not find this analogy helpful. I coached little leage. Sometimes a child would let go of his bat in the after swing and he would be pulled asiside and taught not to let go of the bat. Sometimes a kid would throw the bat out of anger because of not liking the call and would be ejected from the game. In either he would be coached (regulated).

I have not heard of a drone causing a fatal blow to a human. With that being said, who is going to be first to let their loved one be hit over the head or in the face with one. Any takers? I read the article that dtb24 posted and it states low probability of a fatal casualty. So who wants to be a test subject? Not me.

Well if you don't find it hilarious then what's with all the "ROFLMAO!" nonsense in your posts?

And it's not the restrictions that are stupid, it's the behaviors that they are trying to prevent. Behaviors in part at least driven by attitudes like yours that apparently don't see any difference in risk level (probability and consequence combined) between an Air Force tanker properly maintained and flown by trained and qualified personnel with full accountability for their flight versus a recklessly piloted sUAS flown by someone with no training or knowledge at all and whom clearly you would like to have no accountability at all.

Calling your drone a toy doesn't magically make it safe - quite the opposite probably - or exempt it from regulation.

Calling my TWO POUND TOY safer than a HUNDRED THOUSAND POUND AIR TANKER seems pretty dang accurate to me! Let's try to make it simpler for you - would you prefer my 2 lb drone to crash into your house or an air tanker? Seems pretty simple to me... IMHO... Oh wait, this is where I laugh... ROFLMAO!...

Calling my TWO POUND TOY safer than a HUNDRED THOUSAND POUND AIR TANKER seems pretty dang accurate to me! Let's try to make it simpler for you - would you prefer my 2 lb drone to crash into your house or an air tanker? Seems pretty simple to me... IMHO... Oh wait, this is where I laugh... ROFLMAO!...

Since you have nothing even remotely relevant to contribute to this or any other subject that I can recall, I'll just put you on my ignore list.

Since you have nothing even remotely relevant to contribute to this or any other subject that I can recall, I'll just put you on my ignore list.
Gosh Darn the bad luck!

Oh, hecky darn, I forgot about that - I am putting you on my ignore list too... HA!

~

Last edited:
I also too agree that it is wrong to fly over people.especialy in large groups or etc. it’s against the law. Every one should be responsible and learn the rules on flying drones. Most people are responsible and safe flyers. But unfortunately there are some who might cause problems for others.
please fly safely and stay safe.have fun flying and God bless you all my friends

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
What is it so important to you pilots to capture a crowd of protesters on you drone video or still? Are you going to sell it to a newspaper? Isn't there enough coverage in the press of these shots anyway. Do you want to post it to social media? Please explain to us law-abiding pilots here on the forum the attraction of skirting or breaking a law . Who even wants to see your stuff anyway? It is inflammatory, achieves more hatred, etc.

Flying over crowds is of course not ok, but, may I please disagree otherwise.
Millions of sandwiches (UK), burgers (US), barbies (AUS, I'm speaking about the grilled food, not the dolls), Bockwursts (Germany), smørrebrøds (Scandinavia) are eaten elsewhere every day, why do you need to eat your own? :):cool:

What you say, eh?

Flying over crowds is of course not ok, but, may I please disagree otherwise.
Millions of sandwiches (UK), burgers (US), barbies (AUS, I'm speaking about the grilled food, not the dolls), Bockwursts (Germany), smørrebrøds (Scandinavia) are eaten elsewhere every day, why do you need to eat your own? :):cool:

What you say, eh?
How bout you explain what you are saying ?

How bout you explain what you are saying ?

Hm, let me try:
Comparing two objects or concepts is a reasonably common practice in the English language, and seen as an occasional useful tool in writing. While there might well be many forms of comparison, one literary term that covers most types of comparison is known as an analogy.

Does this help?

Hm, let me try:
Comparing two objects or concepts is a reasonably common practice in the English language, and seen as an occasional useful tool in writing. While there might well be many forms of comparison, one literary term that covers most types of comparison is known as an analogy.

Does this help?

I know what you are saying and your argument is reasonable but, after being asked to elaborate, is there a reason not to simply explain the point of the analogy? Your response risks being seen as intentional obfuscation.

What is it so important to you pilots to capture a crowd of protesters on you drone video or still? Are you going to sell it to a newspaper? Isn't there enough coverage in the press of these shots anyway. Do you want to post it to social media? Please explain to us law-abiding pilots here on the forum the attraction of skirting or breaking a law . Who even wants to see your stuff anyway? It is inflammatory, achieves more hatred, etc.
And unfortunately, if you capture someone beating someone etc., you will get paid thousands for it...

Maybe we are over regulated here in Oz, but the rules are very clear. It is illegal to fly over anyone (that is one single person) not part of the operation. You must maintain 30m separation from anyone. That is a 30m cylinder, not a sphere. No one can give you permission to fly near them, hence if you are filming actors you must still be 30m from them.

I’m from Newcastle (Upon Tyne). Do you mean the Tyne bridge? If so, it’s pretty much in the city centre so you woebegone able to fly anywhere near it as it’s a congested area. As a hobbyist you can’t fly in built up areas here in the UK - you need one of the higher qualifications.
Not forgetting the Newcastle in Australia.

No - flying over people at any height up to the limit of 400 ft is prohibited. Is there a reason why you think it might somehow be okay if the aircraft were higher?
I think they mean, at what height is an aircraft under the same rules as a ‘plane. For hobby drone users- outer space perhaps?

Maybe we are over regulated here in Oz, but the rules are very clear. It is illegal to fly over anyone (that is one single person) not part of the operation. You must maintain 30m separation from anyone. That is a 30m cylinder, not a sphere. No one can give you permission to fly near them, hence if you are filming actors you must still be 30m from them.
Unless you are qualified- wedding photography etc in tripod mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15