DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's your normal height in low wind? And a mode question...

Managed another fly today, and got a lot more confident with a bit of air! Still wary of going too far but managed to make my stomach turn when I turned the gimbal down (I'm not good with heights!)

Tested leaving the phone on without touching airplane mode and all modes on the camera were working perfectly...I stayed in c mode for the whole flight as there was no wind at all and it was nice and smooth.

Weirdly, the gimbal dial was definitely on screen at the start as I added to check on my pre flight checklist but no matter what I did at the end of 2 batteries, I couldn't get it back. Must admit, I'd been using the horizon as a reference and so didn't notice when it went there anymore!

I'm getting the feeling the more I enjoy the mini, the more likely it means I'll be looking at something bigger and better before long... Loving it!

Reactions: pelagic_one
I took mine up to almost 600 ft, then it lost signal. Was a bit worried but when it came back down into range all was good.

Reactions: Lurch003
I took mine up to almost 600 ft, then it lost signal. Was a bit worried but when it came back down into range all was good.

Don't say things like that to me!!! Seriously? What environment were you in, if you don't mind me asking? Was that straight up?

I crept up to just above 35m today and was nervous like dropping a newborn! Small steps for me ;)

Don't say things like that to me!!! Seriously? What environment were you in, if you don't mind me asking? Was that straight up?
I crept up to just above 35m today and was nervous like dropping a newborn! Small steps for me ;)

If it's almost straight up or not too far from you, remember to point the FC antennas (flat sides, not the tips) up towards the mini to keep getting the strongest signal. A 600' range isn't that far. If you can do 600' distance away from you, it shouldn't be much difference going the same distance up if you make sure you are tilting the FC and antennas correctly. Except for the possibility of much more wind.

I use a Google pixel 2. So you fly in airplane mode?

One of the replies mentioned me having it in airplane mode so next flight I'll have a bit more of a play and not turn wifi/bt off as that makes sense.

learning so much, my poor little mind can't cope! Actually had to print myself a pre flight checklist yesterday as I left the gimbal cover on... And called myself a few names I can't repeat on here!

hah about that preflight checklist, sometimes Im so eager that I forget to screw im the joysticks before connecting the phone.

@Spook2608 do you have the latest version of dji fly app? Never had any issues with changing between P, S or C mid flight. Im on a Galaxy S8.

Don't go for records. Too many MM gone hayside that way.

• Sad
Weirdly, the gimbal dial was definitely on screen at the start as I added to check on my pre flight checklist but no matter what I did at the end of 2 batteries, I couldn't get it back. Must admit, I'd been using the horizon as a reference and so didn't notice when it went there anymore!
The gimbal scale disappears while flying. It comes back when you either turn the gimbal wheel on the RC (under the video recording button) or tap the screen where the gimbal scale usually is.

Reactions: NG Wildman
The gimbal scale disappears while flying. It comes back when you either turn the gimbal wheel on the RC (under the video recording button) or tap the screen where the gimbal scale usually is.

I get that, I tried to say I couldn't get it back no matter what I did. Moving the gimbal/touching the screen/nothing!!!

I get that, I tried to say I couldn't get it back no matter what I did. Moving the gimbal/touching the screen/nothing!!!
you find that all in the
Don't know, never heard. Which version of DJIFly you have? Which firmware? ou find that all in the "About" menu (behind the three do menu). Connect the MM through the RC first to see all information.

Everything on the latest firmware, first thing I did. Not at home at the moment so can't give you exact numbers

Yep, just about straight up in front of my house. Typical suburban neighborhood.

The most I’ve pushed my Mini was around 23mph with 30+ gusts (UAV Forecast app). It was a little scary, got blown around all over the place and had to make constant adjustments to keep it pointing in the right direction, but it made it! The scariest part was trying to fly back back against the wind, I really thought I’d run out of battery before making it back. Also, be very aware of your RTH altitude. I lost signal that day, and had my RTH altitude preset to 300 feet, bad idea! I cancelled RTH and descended as soon as I got my signal back To avoid disaster.
I have experienced the same. If an area is familiar to me; I already know my RTH height (about 20' higher than the tallest obstacle). Otherwise if I have time, I will spend my first battery checking waypoints as well as minimum heights for RTH. I also check the wind shear. I will zip up to tree level and then ascend at a slower rate and stop every once in a while so see how my little bud is flying. I do this with all of my drones even the old ones without the new fancy feature. I try and stay below the 400' ceiling and in some places around (Hancock Intl AirPort is near me) 100' and I don't think I flown more than more than somewhere in the 800 meter distance from me. The more you fly, the more comfortable you will be. But, don't become complacent or cocky. A $500.00 drone loss won't necessarily break the bank, but it will break your spirit. Please remember that we are supposed to be flying line of sight. So, if you are flying below the tree line in a field, for example; watch once you pass the end into open air. There may be cross winds etc. I tried to add this as a new comment, but it seems I am stuck as a reply. Sorry Vapor.

I have experienced the same. If an area is familiar to me; I already know my RTH height (about 20' higher than the tallest obstacle). Otherwise if I have time, I will spend my first battery checking waypoints as well as minimum heights for RTH. I also check the wind shear. I will zip up to tree level and then ascend at a slower rate and stop every once in a while so see how my little bud is flying. I do this with all of my drones even the old ones without the new fancy feature. I try and stay below the 400' ceiling and in some places around (Hancock Intl AirPort is near me) 100' and I don't think I flown more than more than somewhere in the 800 meter distance from me. The more you fly, the more comfortable you will be. But, don't become complacent or cocky. A $500.00 drone loss won't necessarily break the bank, but it will break your spirit. Please remember that we are supposed to be flying line of sight. So, if you are flying below the tree line in a field, for example; watch once you pass the end into open air. There may be cross winds etc. I tried to add this as a new comment, but it seems I am stuck as a reply. Sorry Vapor.

Couldn't agree more! That's why I'm asking ridiculous questions on here, reading and watching online, inching up height and distance as my experience and confidence grows... And I don't even want to lose my £400 drone so I'm gingerly trying new things slowly but still getting butterflies!
Stay safe ;)

...Actually had to print myself a pre flight checklist yesterday as I left the gimbal cover on...
That was one mistake I thought I would never make, but after I did I taped some ribbon on the gimbal cover to make it more noticeable. Haven't repeated that mistake since.

hah about that preflight checklist, sometimes Im so eager that I forget to screw im the joysticks before connecting the phone.

@Spook2608 do you have the latest version of dji fly app? Never had any issues with changing between P, S or C mid flight. Im on a Galaxy S8.

I do have the latest 1.08 fly app, but have had the same issue on the last couple of versions, keep hoping each new version will fix the problem, but so far no luck ...

Hi guys
Me again, 2nd day of flying, gaining confidence and absolutely loving it!
Gained a bit more altitude today, but still not brave enough to go above 20m for fear of it flying away!
What's your normal height? UAV forecast showing green, 9mph gusts at 50m, 11mph at 100m. Can feel a small breeze on the ground.
Was in the car park at work so not as open as I'd like just in case something did happen.

Secondly, I couldn't change mode today. I'm not in payload. It says p mode but wouldn't change either on screen or in settings. Any ideas?
TIA
Stay safe
P

I fly an MP2 and am happy up to 120m or 400 ft. I go high if I am close to anyone who might guess annoyed and as I get further away from Take off point. I would only fly at 20 m if I was close or knew exactly where I was. Sometimes get a wind warnings and mostly ignore it even if over the ocean. I stop and look and think. However would not fly far downwind and if there is wind always shorten the flight so I have reserve battery to get back. I have use sports mode to return on occasion as it was too slow against the wind. The MP2 does really well. Always land with plenty of battery if it’s windy.

I use a Google pixel 2. So you fly in airplane mode?

One of the replies mentioned me having it in airplane mode so next flight I'll have a bit more of a play and not turn wifi/bt off as that makes sense.

learning so much, my poor little mind can't cope! Actually had to print myself a pre flight checklist yesterday as I left the gimbal cover on... And called myself a few names I can't repeat on here!
I too am rather new to drones. Have the mini. When I first take off I make sure home point is correct annd updated by checking map, then I let it have for about a minute at initial hover point to let it orient to take off location. Then go straight up about 30 ft. and stop again to make sure got GPS lock and sufficient satellites, then continue on up to whatever height I choose, usually 100 - 150 feet, let it hover and watch it to see how wind is affecting it at my chosen height, which way the wind is blowing it and how much. If it is moving too much in the hover I come down some, and if bsdly, I park it and fly another day. Live in East Texas, lot of trees mostly between 50 - 70 feet high. Always keep it in sight. Like to put prop guards and fly in the trees, don't care about seeing how far I can go.

You’ve got some excellent advice here. Read and reread it until you understand all that’s been said and you’ll probably have a really good experience with your mini. To answer your question though, I most often fly at 200’ as it’s high enough to get above trees and high power lines but not too high for serious wind (usually). This number will be of little use to you though as your circumstances will be different than mine. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom