DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When did DJI start selling ads to be placed on the Fly app?

I was flying today at 100 feet in an authorization zone. Suddenly my screen goes black, I lose connection to the MA2 and an ad for Adobe Premiere showed up. Panic set in for a moment, and I clicked the back button furiously to get out of that. My phone flashed black again and reconnected the drone. I continued on my flight. When I landed and was able to review my flight logs, that one flight counted as two seperate flights, confirming my complete loss of control over the UAV at that moment. THIS IS DANGEROUS.
The app doesn't control your aircraft the radio does, simply fly it back to you, or release the sticks, reboot the app. You always have control whether the app is on or not. Nothing dangerous about it as nobody else is reporting that issue. Fly VLOS and fly it home, if you haven't developed that skill set then press RTH it will fly it for you.

Ok I misunderstood. I took it you were seeing it when you opened the app.
You didn't misunderstand, it happened when initially opening the app and wouldn't go away until I tapped it...haven't tried again but I hope that's the end of that nonsense.

Reactions: dirkclod
You didn't misunderstand, it happened when initially opening the app and wouldn't go away until I tapped it...haven't tried again but I hope that's the end of that nonsense.
Well I hope so but I honestly have never seen that.

I was flying today at 100 feet in an authorization zone. Suddenly my screen goes black, I lose connection to the MA2 and an ad for Adobe Premiere showed up. Panic set in for a moment, and I clicked the back button furiously to get out of that. My phone flashed black again and reconnected the drone. I continued on my flight. When I landed and was able to review my flight logs, that one flight counted as two seperate flights, confirming my complete loss of control over the UAV at that moment. THIS IS DANGEROUS.

*Edit*. This is the latest version of the Fly App found on the DJI website for Android. No inputs we're done on the phone, I was in the middle of flying in a straight line recording video and concentrating on holding my sticks still.
This happened to me yesterday on 2 flights.

Android DJI Fly app, version 1.2.4 (919-official).

The mobile device is Google Pixel 4 running Android 11.

I hope those of you that had this flash up whilst flying have reported it to DJI.

Really? What happens after the 3 months?
I use Vegas Pro bc Adobe is overpriced...not important but why can't I reject this "wonderful" offer ...and what about the other ads?
Don’t know the full capabilities of Vegas Pro, but I use Adobe Premiere Elements 2020, myself. $99 (life time purchase) bundled with the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020. No cloud fee! Version 2021 is out with minor updates at same pricing. Adobe Premiere Elements 2020 has three modes QUICK/GUIDED/EXPERT. Check ‘em out.

Sounds like a Droid issue. Since droid is open source easier for them to do these things I think. I've never seen any type of offer or ad for Adobe.

You’re being offered a free 3 months subscription to Adobe video editing software, I think that’s hardly an ad, it’s something really useful to many people getting into the hobby
Of course it’s advertising! 3 months trial and then buy?! That is like all of the YouTube garbage that keeps interrupting their clips, too. DJI should keep third party promos off their apps, when those apps form part of what we have purchased - the DJI drones and their essential operating software. There are plenty of editing packages available - some completely free and not just on a trial period - research will find them (and not Adobe).

Of course it’s advertising! 3 months trial and then buy?! That is like all of the YouTube garbage that keeps interrupting their clips, too. DJI should keep third party promos off their apps, when those apps form part of what we have purchased - the DJI drones and their essential operating software. There are plenty of editing packages available - some completely free and not just on a trial period - research will find them (and not Adobe).
i honestly don't get the bitterness. You don't like Adobe I take it, that's fine. Many people find value in this, why are you so bothered by it? Just dismiss it away and continue enjoying your free software.

Reactions: kidroc
i honestly don't get the bitterness. You don't like Adobe I take it, that's fine. Many people find value in this, why are you so bothered by it? Just dismiss it away and continue enjoying your free software.
It has nothing to do with feelings about Adobe my friend, it has everything to do with an ad popping up on a device that cost me close to $1000...I have no idea who/what Xinjiang is but an ad popped up for them too (to address other posts, I have no 3rd party anything on my phone and I get updates from DJI).
Just saying if it continues there will be a lot of pissed people, especially if it disrupts their flight.
I don't mind if DJI sends me Spam email occasionally advertising a product I might want to buy but I find it hard to believe DJI would be spamming their own device.
BTW, David is right...this "special offer" is a joke considering DaVinci Resolve is free (or $300 for pro version which is good for all future updates) and does as much or more than Premier...I tried to switch a few months ago but the tools are so different than what I've been using for decades, I could see it was too much time investment for an old dog like me.
20 years ago, it would have been a no brainer to go with DR.

It has nothing to do with feelings about Adobe my friend, it has everything to do with an ad popping up on a device that cost me close to $1000...I have no idea who/what Xinjiang is but an ad popped up for them too (to address other posts, I have no 3rd party anything on my phone and I get updates from DJI).
Just saying if it continues there will be a lot of pissed people, especially if it disrupts their flight.
I don't mind if DJI sends me Spam email occasionally advertising a product I might want to buy but I find it hard to believe DJI would be spamming their own device.
BTW, David is right...this "special offer" is a joke considering DaVinci Resolve is free (or $300 for pro version which is good for all future updates) and does as much or more than Premier...I tried to switch a few months ago but the tools are so different than what I've been using for decades, I could see it was too much time investment for an old dog like me.
20 years ago, it would have been a no brainer to go with DR.
I was replying to David. I don't think the discussion about Adobe (and their integrated cloud service) vs other tools is relevant here. As I said, you are free to dismiss it away. Personally, I found it useful and I perceived it as "added value" received with my Air 2, not as "ads on my $1000 drone".

To be clear, I am just talking about the discrete message on the Fly app's home screen that appeared once. I don't know what Xinjian is, I didn't get that and I also don't approve any such thing appearing mid-flight.

I was replying to David. I don't think the discussion about Adobe (and their integrated cloud service) vs other tools is relevant here....

I agree, a different subject and I hope ur right in that it (or any other ads) won't pop up on the app.

Regretfully, our flying App should be a secure device, however now we have 3rd party involvement.

Shame on Adobe, as far as I'm concerned after almost 2 decades of supporting hem, when I upgraded to Big Sur on my Mac, I deleted Photoshop and purchased Affinity for a one time buy of only $24.95. Afinity equals or exceeds Photoshop and most important, Affinity is 5 times faster than the sluggish Photoshop and includes upgrades for life. Download a free copy PC or Mac and try it yourself!

*Edit*. This is the latest version of the Fly App found on the DJI website for Android. No inputs we're done on the phone, I was in the middle of flying in a straight line recording video and concentrating on holding my sticks still.
Last time I flew my MA2 I had a similar experience but no ad for Adobe.

So you actually believe it's Adobe adding code to the Fly app?.............

This topic is getting too wacky.....
No ...even worse... DJI did.
That said, I totally agree that the topic has gotten way OT.

No ...even worse... DJI did.
That said, I totally agree that the topic has gotten way OT.
All they did was offer people something that might be useful. Hardly a criminal act.

All they did was offer people something that might be useful. Hardly a criminal act.
No, ur right...not a criminal act (and I never suggested anything close to that) but using ur logic, any and all ads might be useful...I'm just saying it should be in an email or advertised on DJI site where MA2 is offered for sale...not popping up on the app when ur trying to fly tho...sheesh

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer