DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where are waypoints stored?

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I had to send my RC Pro and didn't think about saving my waypoints. All gone. Where are they stored in the event I'd like to back them up? And how might they be copied back. I have this question for both the RC Pro and my RC2 controllers...

Reactions: wmjbergin
I'll answer my own post based on a response on the DJI forums. Tell me I'm wrong. The word is - you can't copy them/back them up. Lose the RC...lose the waypoints. Nice, DJI.

I'll answer my own post based on a response on the DJI forums. Tell me I'm wrong. The word is - you can't copy them/back them up. Lose the RC...lose the waypoints. Nice, DJI.
The reply you received there is wrong. Search this forum, the REAL answer is here. I think from Wes.

They are stored in the device DJI folder, should be copypasteable, but there's no automatic backup, so if you format the cache/files of the app because say goodbye to them unless you copied them.

Las time I wiped the cache/files of the DJI Fly app they were eating up 13GB of space despite the app saying it was only using 200MB, it's still a very buggy/unopptimized app.

They are stored in the device DJI folder, should be copypasteable, but there's no automatic backup, so if you format the cache/files of the app because say goodbye to them unless you copied them.

Las time I wiped the cache/files of the DJI Fly app they were eating up 13GB of space despite the app saying it was only using 200MB, it's still a very buggy/unopptimized app.
Sorry to sound dumb (which I am about my M3+RC Pro storage). I have checked not to cache data. How do I access it or where can it be found on my RC-Pro? I imagine I would pull down from the top of the screen and look for folders? Anyone out there to answer this?

Dale
Miami

I had to send my RC Pro and didn't think about saving my waypoints. All gone. Where are they stored in the event I'd like to back them up? And how might they be copied back. I have this question for both the RC Pro and my RC2 controllers...
This question has been partially answered already. The previously mentioned thread contains more information. However, I want to add a few things.

Despite the uninformed answer from the DJI forums each waypoint mission is stored in its own KMZ file in a data repository of sorts on your flying device. These KMZ files are found under a folder named "waypoints".

One used to be able to access this folder from either the Android operating system or by connecting your flying device to a Windows computer and using the Windows file browser. I have seen a post from someone who upgraded to Android 14 and is no longer able to access them through the Android file browser. If I were trying to access them, I would use Windows.

DJI does not provide an "Import" function to import a KMZ file. Instead, one must first create a "dummy" waypoint mission in DJI Fly and then import a KMZ file by copying it over the existing dummy waypoint mission KMZ file. The KMZ files are named with a GUID. This sounds like a tedious process at first. However, once you've done it, you'll find it is not that hard.

I should also add... Despite being named with a KMZ extension, these DJI waypoint files cannot be viewed using Google Earth Pro. DJI is notorious for re-using inappropriate file extensions.

Reactions: DARKSeifer
Sorry to sound dumb (which I am about my M3+RC Pro storage). I have checked not to cache data. How do I access it or where can it be found on my RC-Pro? I imagine I would pull down from the top of the screen and look for folders? Anyone out there to answer this?

Dale
Miami
Connect the controller to a computer and treat it like an external storage device. You can copy, move, and otherwise manage all the files from the computer, including the native controller storage and an SD card if you've installed one.

Connect the controller to a computer and treat it like an external storage device. You can copy, move, and otherwise manage all the files from the computer, including the native controller storage and an SD card if you've installed one.
Thank you for this MSA Coast! I will definitely try it

Thank you for this MSA Coast! I will definitely try it
I recall that you're an IOS user. I'm not very familiar with IOS systems, but you may have to tell the computer how to treat the controller or enable access somehow.

Be sure to use a data-capable cable to connect the controller to the computer. Charge-only cables won't work.

I recall that you're an IOS user. I'm not very familiar with IOS systems, but you may have to tell the computer how to treat the controller or enable access somehow.

Be sure to use a data-capable cable to connect the controller to the computer. Charge-only cables won't work.
I would try a standard USB-C to USB-C for my iMAC.

I should also add... Despite being named with a KMZ extension, these DJI waypoint files cannot be viewed using Google Earth Pro. DJI is notorious for re-using inappropriate file extensions.
I have a Mavic 3 with the RC_PRO controller. I found the KMZ files in the waypoint folder. When I look at it, it contains general information about the flight, like the global speed, and the end of flight option, but it does not contain any
actual coordinates for the waypoints.
Are the points stored elsewhere? Am I missing something? Did I not properly save the flight?

Is there any info anywhere on what this format is? Sounds like it is a proprietary variant of KML.
I understand that KMZ is just a compressed KML. I'm looking at the uncompressed text.

Here is one of the files I found:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:wpml="http://www.dji.com/wpmz/1.0.2">
<Document>
<wpml:author>fly</wpml:author>
<wpml:createTime>1712601498850</wpml:createTime>
<wpml:updateTime>1712601498850</wpml:updateTime>
<wpml:missionConfig>
<wpml:flyToWaylineMode>safely</wpml:flyToWaylineMode>
<wpml:finishAction>noAction</wpml:finishAction>
<wpml:exitOnRCLost>executeLostAction</wpml:exitOnRCLost>
<wpml:executeRCLostAction>goBack</wpml:executeRCLostAction>
<wpml:globalTransitionalSpeed>2.5</wpml:globalTransitionalSpeed>
<wpml:droneInfo>
<wpml:droneEnumValue>68</wpml:droneEnumValue>
<wpml:droneSubEnumValue>0</wpml:droneSubEnumValue>
</wpml:droneInfo>
</wpml:missionConfig>
</Document>
</kml>

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-eric

I have a Mavic 3 with the RC_PRO controller. I found the KMZ files in the waypoint folder. When I look at it, it contains general information about the flight, like the global speed, and the end of flight option, but it does not contain any
actual coordinates for the waypoints.
Are the points stored elsewhere? Am I missing something? Did I not properly save the flight?
A DJI KMZ file is a compressed archive containing two files:

• template.kml
  • waylines.wpml
What you are showing is the template.kml file. As you have discovered, it only contains some global information and actually is not used by the Mavic 3. You need to look in the waylines.wpml file for the waypoint coordinates, headings, actions, etc.

I know that DJI is using the KML extension for the template file and KMZ for the archive extension, but, in my opinion, they are mis-using those extensions. KML stands for "Keyhole Markup Language" which is something that Google created for use with Google Earth. These files do not contain "Keyhole Markup Language". Instead, they contain "WayPoint Markup Language". More appropriate extensions would be wpml and WPMZ.

Reactions: fixedimagephoto

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123