DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where are we with RID

Rchawks

Reactions
I haven't seen much discussion on this issue lately. Will the new feature of identifying aircraft on the Mavic Air 2 have any bearing whatsoever in this regard, or just wishful thinking? Is the FAA making any comments about drone flyers and any Drone delivery conflicts? I would hope that having Airsense would be enough to cause the FAA to take pause about putting in place expensive future restrictive laws .

Last edited:
Reactions: RCdancer
Airsense, a.k.a ADS-B-in, detects aircraft and notifies the drone pilot. RID is a system to detect the drone and notify ATC and other users. So they are completely different concepts, and not related.

Thank you for your input. I sort of knew the answer, but had to ask anyway:).

Airsense, a.k.a ADS-B-in, detects aircraft and notifies the drone pilot. RID is a system to detect the drone and notify ATC and other users. So they are completely different concepts, and not related.
That's what makes it useless....RID has nothing to do with preventing incursions.

That's what makes it useless....RID has nothing to do with preventing incursions.

You may have misunderstood the concept. RID is intended to identify drones to ATC, other drones and LE - the first two for the purposes of deconfliction with other air traffic and the third for public safety purposes. Those all seem like perfectly reasonable goals. I've no idea what "incursions" you are worrying about.

Reactions: dawgpilot
You may have misunderstood the concept. RID is intended to identify drones to ATC, other drones and LE - the first two for the purposes of deconfliction with other air traffic and the third for public safety purposes. Those all seem like perfectly reasonable goals. I've no idea what "incursions" you are worrying about.
Between manned and unmanned or even preventing other quads from running into each other. It doesn't show up on the manned aircraft that the unmanned aircraft is somewhere around, at least not directly.

Between manned and unmanned or even preventing other quads from running into each other. It doesn't show up on the manned aircraft that the unmanned aircraft is somewhere around, at least not directly.

It won't use ADS-B out, so correct - it won't show up directly unless the manned traffic is monitoring sUAS RID data. But conflict is mostly an issue where the manned traffic is low. Around airports, having ATC watch of sUAS activity is a fine solution. For low-altitude helicopter operations they can either use ATC or monitor RID themselves.

Reactions: pelagic_one

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ