DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where do you plan on flying with 45 minutes if we really get it ?

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
WOW !! There are going to be some long long distance flights, its inevitable.

For me this is a game changer as we Fly to Capture the Storms and I cannot tell you how many amazing pictures I have missed because of low battery , its going to be a game changer for that alone.

So with a whole team of spotter that may be a game changer, but most likely I wont know what to with the extra time except be tempted by the vastness of its range and to explore , so I am going to need a bigger family. lol

Phatnomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the storm

For me this is a game changer as we Fly to Capture the Storms and I cannot tell you how many amazing pictures I have missed because of low battery , its going to be a game changer for that alone.

So with a whole team of spotter that may be a game changer, but most likely I wont know what to with the extra time except be tempted by the vastness of its range and to explore , so I am going to need a bigger family. lol

Phatnomrain.org
What 45 minutes are you refering to? If you mean the Mavic 3, as always, DJI estimates are almost always inflated. I doubt 45 minutes of normal flying in normal everyday weather will happen.

That is true DJI does inflate some numbers , but if you had 45 minutes of flight time other than slowing down the number of forced landings , would there be any special project flights.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Droniac
Remember - the Air 2 specs say you get 34 minutes. In reality you get 29.

So with a spec'd 45 minutes, you really only get 38. And 10 of that is margin in real life - if you want to keep your batteries healthy that is. So what do you plan to do with your 14 minutes of flight? Yeah, of that 28 remaining, you only get to use half out, the other half getting back.

At least we will see some longer Hyperlapse videos. :D

You cannot damage mavic batteries by flying them to the red line. Its software will always cut them above 3v. That is the voltage below which its chemistry gets damaged. Worst case scenario, your drone powers off and crashes right before landing.

I always fly them to under 10%, and my batteries' health are on par with those who fly them way more conservative than me.

That being said, there are some islands that are an inch out of range of my Air 2, and I plan to explore them with a mavic 3. Same goes for every single place my current drone cannot go due to it being too far.

Yeah. I know right

So close, yet so far away!
I have to admit that is a great goal, and Im thinking its doable very soon. Im wondering which controller will be stronger , the SC i have with the Alien Dual or the New SC , im thinking the Alien may still have the stronger signal.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm.

Reactions: Droniac
With a 46 min spec I agree that these batteries will start out allowing 28 min of real world missions. With what I will be spending I will want to keep it 5 years. At that point, if my current experience holds, I will will be lucky to have 15-20 minutes of safe flight.

Phatnomrain.org
Probably the most noteworthy thing to do with the extra time would be to complete a full 30 second hyperlapse (hovering). I could sometimes get 25 maybe 24 secs on the mavic 2 or air 2, but never 30 seconds. I do get a full 30 seconds with the EVO2 though. But even with it's "40 min" it's still cutting it close. In all cases you need to fly straight up, get in position and start hyperlapse ASAP, to get as much flight time as possible. If DJI get's 40+ minutes, a 30 sec hyperlapse will be a breeze. 46 minutes will be great for sales. People won't need to rush to get their shots, and worry if they will have enough time left to land. Compared to current DJI flight times, most people will be very very happy with "46 min". I often fly my EVO2 more often than my Air2S simply because I want the extra flight time or I want a full 30 sec hyperlapse. I may be switching my AIR2S to the EVOLite+ simply for the quoted 40 min flight times. I also like the fact they are bringing HDR video back to an AIR2S sized drone. With the DJI M3 maybe the 46 minutes will help reduce battery failure related crashes. Unless, people just push the limits.

For me the lens that can give me closeups without nerve wracking close up flying is a big item. I plan to fly canyons and get close ups of canyon features that are not possible or at least not safe with the wide angle lens. Another example is a cabin in the mountains that is surrounded by tall trees and I must photograph it without being in the clearing where the cabin is located.

Why worry about getting close to an object? Frankly, DJI drones' OA is quite decent on not crashing when hovering near an object.

I've flown within two meters of stuff super far away. Even lost signal once or twice too. It's never collided with anything so far.

Probably the most noteworthy thing to do with the extra time would be to complete a full 30 second hyperlapse (hovering). I could sometimes get 25 maybe 24 secs on the mavic 2 or air 2, but never 30 seconds. I do get a full 30 seconds with the EVO2 though. But even with it's "40 min" it's still cutting it close. In all cases you need to fly straight up, get in position and start hyperlapse ASAP, to get as much flight time as possible. If DJI get's 40+ minutes, a 30 sec hyperlapse will be a breeze. 46 minutes will be great for sales. People won't need to rush to get their shots, and worry if they will have enough time left to land. Compared to current DJI flight times, most people will be very very happy with "46 min". I often fly my EVO2 more often than my Air2S simply because I want the extra flight time or I want a full 30 sec hyperlapse. I may be switching my AIR2S to the EVOLite+ simply for the quoted 40 min flight times. I also like the fact they are bringing HDR video back to an AIR2S sized drone. With the DJI M3 maybe the 46 minutes will help reduce battery failure related crashes. Unless, people just push the limits.
I've managed to complete 30 second hyperlapses, but only when the drone is hovering and landing spot is right below, as I can force it to go all the way to forced landing.

I've also mastered he technique of landing it on a tall building's rooftop so it can record for hours from there. It's tricky, but as long as you lift off before hitting 20%, it's ok.

Last edited:

Phatnomrain.org
Can hang around waterfalls longer. It's a pain to be shooting and see battery dropping below 8 minutes. Esp, when on full charge - I may get 25 minutes on the clock. I need to look at my batteries and see what's up, as being only 1.5 years old and maybe 100 flights, the drop at start is not good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980