DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where do you plan on flying with 45 minutes if we really get it ?

For me the lens that can give me closeups without nerve wracking close up flying is a big item. I plan to fly canyons and get close ups of canyon features that are not possible or at least not safe with the wide angle lens. Another example is a cabin in the mountains that is surrounded by tall trees and I must photograph it without being in the clearing where the cabin is located.
Yes, hopefully the "dual" camera will allow zoom pics, which the Air2 can do in video only. I love running about 2x on waterfalls and creek / river beds that have lots of trees on the banks. Yet, even in video, the shot seems closer even at 1x as it does to pic mode. That makes it a bit deceptive for getting really close for features, so I usually fly in camera mode to where I still feel safe and switch over. That extra bit of "zoom" in video can bring out details that may be lost in camera mode. Others here have taken stills from the video which may help you get closer in till that day a camera shot can zoom in.

Reactions: Droniac
With most countries having VLOS rules, longer flight times are of no real value in terms of how far you can go as battery life is already quite good. It will however be great for people doing time lapses, still photographers spending a lot of time getting the right shot or a variety of angles, surveillance applications, equipment inspections, S&R applications, game protection in Africa, and events such as surfing which are commonly shot by drones that are up in the air for a long time in one small area. I'm sure I missed some more. Real-world flight time will probably be closer to 35 minutes for most users, especially since best practice for battery health is to land with around 20% remaining.

Why worry about getting close to an object? Frankly, DJI drones' OA is quite decent on not crashing when hovering near an object.

I've flown within two meters of stuff super far away. Even lost signal once or twice too. It's never collided with anything so far.

I've managed to complete 30 second hyperlapses, but only when the drone is hovering and landing spot is right below, as I can force it to go all the way to forced landing.

I've also mastered he technique of landing it on a tall building's rooftop so it can record for hours from there. It's tricky, but as long as you lift off before hitting 20%, it's ok.

We are a huge fan of remote landing both on top of buildings and landing on the Water , to extend shooting times.
I do not think many DJI pilots take advantage of this feature well done.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

With most countries having VLOS rules, longer flight times are of no real value in terms of how far you can go as battery life is already quite good. It will however be great for people doing time lapses, still photographers spending a lot of time getting the right shot or a variety of angles, surveillance applications, equipment inspections, S&R applications, game protection in Africa, and events such as surfing which are commonly shot by drones that are up in the air for a long time in one small area. I'm sure I missed some more. Real-world flight time will probably be closer to 35 minutes for most users, especially since best practice for battery health is to land with around 20% remaining.

Do other countries allow for Spotter to extend VLOS ranges. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm.

Do other countries allow for Spotter to extend VLOS ranges. ?

Phantomrain.org
These are our rules here in Canada:

3.2.8 Visual Observers
In some cases, a visual observer is needed to assist the pilot in
maintaining a constant VLOS with the RPA to comply with the
CARs. In complex operating environments like urban areas, the
RPA pilot and the visual observer have to maintain communication
for updates to any impending conflict between the RPA and
terrain, obstacles, aviation traffic, weather, etc. Visual observers
shall be trained to perform any duties as assigned to them by
the pilot. This includes visual scanning techniques, aircraft
identification, communications, and any other knowledge that
may be required to successfully perform their duties. The pilot
and visual observer(s) shall remain in constant and immediate
communication throughout the RPAS operation, as stated in
CAR 901.20.
Before beginning an operation, the crew should agree upon
consistent communication language specific to the mission at
hand. Important information sought by the pilot could be the
RPA’s relative distance, altitude, and flight path in relation to
manned aircraft but also other hazards like terrain, weather, and
structures. The visual observer must be able to determine the
RPA’s proximity to all aviation activities and sufficiently inform
the pilot of its relative distance, altitude, flight path, and other
hazards (e.g. terrain, weather, structures) to prevent it from
creating a collision hazard.
The visual observer will also help the RPA pilot to keep the
operational environment sterile (that is, free of irrelevant
conversation) during the flight and minimize the disturbances
to the RPA pilot and crew.
Visual observers are not required to possess an RPA pilot certificate.
(Visual Observers
901.20 (1) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system if visual observers are used to assist the pilot in the provision of detect and avoid functions unless reliable and timely communication is maintained between the pilot and each visual observer during the operation.

(2) A visual observer shall communicate information to the pilot in a timely manner, during the operation, whenever the visual observer detects conflicting air traffic, hazards to aviation safety or hazards to persons on the surface.

(3) No visual observer shall perform visual observer duties for more than one remotely piloted aircraft at a time unless the aircraft are operated in accordance with subsection 901.40(1) or in accordance with a special flight operations certificate — RPAS issued under section 903.03.

(4) No visual observer shall perform visual observer duties while operating a moving vehicle, vessel or aircraft.)

I've also mastered he technique of landing it on a tall building's rooftop so it can record for hours from there. It's tricky, but as long as you lift off before hitting 20%, it's ok.
I see two technicalities. Doesn't DJI prevent you from taking off after a certain percentage? I'm guessing that's the 20% you mentioned. Also, what if you lose signal on the way back or while it's on top of the building? If the connection is lost on the way back, the drone will return to home on top of the building. And if it loses connection on top of the building well, it's just stuck there I guess. Am I correct? I'm guessing you don't fly too far away and land on buildings so maybe the latter scenario isn't likely but still a risk I guess.

I see two technicalities. Doesn't DJI prevent you from taking off after a certain percentage? I'm guessing that's the 20% you mentioned. Also, what if you lose signal on the way back or while it's on top of the building? If the connection is lost on the way back, the drone will return to home on top of the building. And if it loses connection on top of the building well, it's just stuck there I guess. Am I correct? I'm guessing you don't fly too far away and land on buildings so maybe the latter scenario isn't likely but still a risk I guess.
Once you land remotely it does reset the Home Point, but you can quickly change the Home point using the Drag and drop map feature. There is risk landing on a building but you can check your signal as you land as long as you dont land inside of the building walls where the signal may be blocked.

Phantomrain.org

They do. For the Air2, it's close to forced landing battery levels. I do 20% so I have enough to get back. I also never do it super far away, as any issues would difficult retrieval.

Regarding returning; I set home point to controller as soon as I take off.
When I land remote I always do so in a place I know I won't lose signal once it's landed, and that's possible for it to be recovered if I can't command it to return.

There are, naturally, risks involved. But frankly, I prefer to risk losing it that way than to fear using it.

Dare mighty things.

They do. For the Air2, it's close to forced landing battery levels. I do 20% so I have enough to get back. I also never do it super far away, as any issues would difficult retrieval.

Regarding returning; I set home point to controller as soon as I take off.
When I land remote I always do so in a place I know I won't lose signal once it's landed, and that's possible for it to be recovered if I can't command it to return.

Dare mighty things.
This is a exceptional : :p There are, naturally, risks involved. But frankly, I prefer to risk losing it that way than to fear using it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Well, nothing I guess.
Seeing as how I’m not getting a new quad anytime soon.
If I had 10 extra min of flight time, I’d fly 10 more min.
Most of my videography flights only last around 15 min, so the extra flight time would be meaningless, to me anyway…

At the lake with my gators !!!

• Haha
What 45 minutes are you refering to? If you mean the Mavic 3, as always, DJI estimates are almost always inflated. I doubt 45 minutes of normal flying in normal everyday weather will happen.
A review got 28 mins with 15-20 percent left. So 6-8 mins are than the pro 2.

I guess my gators will need to wait before eating the Mavic 3.

• Haha
A review got 28 mins with 15-20 percent left. So 6-8 mins are than the pro 2.
So that's a little over 50% rated time under real life conditions.

I must say that if so, then the manufacturer claims are as misleading as the drone is overpriced.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d