DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which brand of ND filters should I buy???

maxfaxdude

Reactions
I've done my research but I still can't decide whether to buy the PolarPro or the Taco ND filters. Or is there a 3rd or 4th brand out there that I should seriously consider?

I have had excellent luck with the Taco filters. Whichever brand you buy, just make sure you get the multi-coated ones. It makes a huge difference.

I've done my research but I still can't decide whether to buy the PolarPro or the Taco ND filters.
Those are both good brands. Any of the filters on this list are worth considering.

I did this with Polar Pro cinema shutter series:

DJI's own Mavic Pro ND Filters just arrived back IN STOCK and ready to ship!...finally

DJI Mavic ND Filters Set (ND4/8/16) - Part 39 | Advexure
DJI-Mavic-ND-Filters-Set-Part-39_1-500x375.jpg

Thanks guys for the input. The Tacos are less money but I decided to go with the PolarPro Cinema Series 6 pack because it looks as if PolarPro really stands behind their products.

Thanks guys for the input. The Tacos are less money but I decided to go with the PolarPro Cinema Series 6 pack because it looks as if PolarPro really stands behind their products.
Howdy maxfaxdude, they are phenomenal, I just leave my nd16 on most of the time and it works great, for snow and such I switch to the pl.
Regards,
-d.

I did buy from Taco-rc. They also offer an ND64. I guess this could be useful on a bright day in the mountains with snow.

I have a friend who bought the PolarPro lens and he told me they were really expensive. I bought this 'generic' brand of filters off Amazon. When my friend and I compared the filters there was no difference in quality and i paid half the price he did. The set i bought had ND4,8,16 and CPL filters - I really like the addition of the CPL for water shots.

This is the set I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797SQCZT

Reactions: Gonçalo
... it looks as if PolarPro really stands behind their products.

That's my experience.

1) I wanted one of the sets of three, plus two more that are sold separately, for a total of five. Before purchasing, I inquired via email whether they could also send me one of their nice plastic cases that holds up to six. Answer: Ask and you shall receive, and for no extra charge.

2) Only after purchasing their LUTS package did I learn that they do not work with either the latest Premiere Elements or my older version of Premiere Pro. I was still within their 60-day return period, so I inquired re how to return them. Answer: Sorry they did not work out for you, we've credited the account that you used to pay for them.

Re the quality of the filters, all five are ND-PL (4, 8, 16, 32, 64), easy to use, and give very impressive results.

Re the quality of the filters, all five are ND-PL (4, 8, 16, 32, 64), easy to use, and give very impressive results.

Can you explain how the "PL" part of the ND/PL works with the mavics rotating lens? Are they somehow agnostic to orientation?

Here's a video showing how to orient a PL filter:

Ok, but in the first segment the Mavic is upside down (which I'm pretty sure the polarization is the same at 180 Degrees). So assuming that is OK. Would also think you would want the most effect of the actual scene you are shooting, not a computer monitor? Also doesn't the lens of the mavic spin? I could be way off here but I thought the whole camera spun for the axis and the lens spins for focusing?

Would also think you would want the most effect of the actual scene you are shooting, not a computer monitor?
Yes.

doesn't the lens of the mavic spin?
Sure, if you buy a filter that has a bezel that rotates. I haven't seen any like that.

Sure, if you buy a filter that has a bezel that rotates. I haven't seen any like that.

I meant the bezel of the Mavic camera spins to focus...wouldn't it just be spinning the filter along with it?

I meant the bezel of the Mavic camera spins to focus...wouldn't it just be spinning the filter along with it?
No. The Mavic camera does not have a spinning bezel. The camera is able to turn for taking portrait photos though.

Reactions: jrf
Can you explain how the "PL" part of the ND/PL works with the mavics rotating lens? Are they somehow agnostic to orientation?

The Mavic lens does not rotate; however, if you are going to shoot photos (stills) in Portrait mode, then you must set the gimbal/lens in that mode before applying the filter in your desired orientation -- which you have determined by holding it close to your eye and slowly rotating it for the effect that you desire.

Reactions: jrf
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky