DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

which drone to buy

OK, this posting has gotten a lot of attention and I may have added to some confusion by using a graph to show the legal flying zone and I did not realize it was referencing a Brit law, Article 94A. I was only referring to the laws and rules in the USA.

But first, my listing of the DJI's user manual's details about Max Ceiling. Ok, I understand where I went wrong thinking that the specs also referred to the maximum altitude lifting off from the Home Point. And I really figured that the 10km (6-mile) range was a moot point at that altitude…

But are you all saying the if I tried to fly straight up with my factory spec Mini 2, with the DJI Fly App, that at 500 meters my drone will start saying, "uh-uh, no way, cut that out, I'm not going higher…"? And those YouTube videos are flown in drones with a non-DJI App or an App that has been hacked (with the reference to being "unlocked"?)

I've never flown my drone over the 400' because; well, I live in a very active flight area, an Air Force Base that has my neighborhood at "midfield, left downwind" and the same for the commercial airport, and one of the parks I fly at is under a long final. The other park I fly at is on the other side of the airport and only a few miles from an Army Base with helicopters that like the scenery to fly over. So, as you might guess, I do not want to play chicken with the likes of any of the "big boys…"

So, are all, most, or just certain models of DJI Drones restricted by the App to flying no higher than 500 meters" Inquiring Minds Want to Know…

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

With that being said, I would like to clear up the 400' rule and how it applies to hills, structures and cliffs…

Now, flying in U.S. Airspace, and assuming you are not in an altitude restricted flight area where the maximum altitude is stated to be 400' and there are no aircraft that you might somehow interfere with and you are not in a restricted flight area (National Park, etc…) and you can maintain unaided visual sight of your drone with then these rules apply.

400feet.png

As you can see in paragraph 107.51, (b), (1) and (2), you can fly your drone up to 400' above ground level (AGL).

Then, if you are within 400' of a structure (500' radio tower) and you are within 400' laterally (distance from) you can climb to 400' higher than the highest point of that structure. That would put you at 900' AGL and that is completely legal.

Now this point is not spelled out in the rules and I read numerous comments about flying over a cliff. The FAA interprets a cliff, loosely as a structure, even though it is technically terrain…

Let's say you are on the side of a tall cliff (600' tall') and your buddy is climbing the face of the cliff and you want to video tape it. It does not matter if you are at the top or the bottom of the cliff. You can fly your drone all the way down the cliff to the bottom from the top or all the way up the cliff from the bottom, as long as you are within 400' of the cliff face (but within visual sight of your drone…).

distance.png

As you can see in the graph, if your drone is in any of the "A" positions, you are flying legal up to 400' AGL.

Now, in the "B" position, you are also legal to be up to 400' over the top of the structure as long as it does not put you into controlled airspace. And as you approach the structure, and you are within 400' of the structure laterally (on the horizontal) you may climb up to a height equal to the height of the structure plus 400'. But notice that the top of that airspace is "domed" because you must stay within 400' of the structure.

The rational for the 400' distance from the structure is that in the case of radio/TV towers, they are supported by guide wires. In the case of structures such as buildings, the wind blowing around these structures can create air turbulence.

And if you are flying over or up a cliff, you could fly 1,000' or more up that cliff as long as you are within 400' of the cliff face and you can still see you drone…

Finally, if you are flying your drone over the hill from the position of the "little pilot" and you top the hill and start flying down to position "X", you are flying illegally as the drone is not within visual line of sight…

So, to all Fly Safe…

your drone must be no further than 400' to the closest point of ground. If you got 1km high hill with 90° side, you can stay 400' away from the hill laterally, and climb 1km high above ground.
That is, if the drone wasnt hardlocked to 500m above take-off point.

Not in the United States.

OK, this posting has gotten a lot of attention and I may have added to some confusion by using a graph to show the legal flying zone and I did not realize it was referencing a Brit law, Article 94A. I was only referring to the laws and rules in the USA.

But first, my listing of the DJI's user manual's details about Max Ceiling. Ok, I understand where I went wrong thinking that the specs also referred to the maximum altitude lifting off from the Home Point. And I really figured that the 10km (6-mile) range was a moot point at that altitude…

But are you all saying the if I tried to fly straight up with my factory spec Mini 2, with the DJI Fly App, that at 500 meters my drone will start saying, "uh-uh, no way, cut that out, I'm not going higher…"? And those YouTube videos are flown in drones with a non-DJI App or an App that has been hacked (with the reference to being "unlocked"?)

I've never flown my drone over the 400' because; well, I live in a very active flight area, an Air Force Base that has my neighborhood at "midfield, left downwind" and the same for the commercial airport, and one of the parks I fly at is under a long final. The other park I fly at is on the other side of the airport and only a few miles from an Army Base with helicopters that like the scenery to fly over. So, as you might guess, I do not want to play chicken with the likes of any of the "big boys…"

So, are all, most, or just certain models of DJI Drones restricted by the App to flying no higher than 500 meters" Inquiring Minds Want to Know…

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

With that being said, I would like to clear up the 400' rule and how it applies to hills, structures and cliffs…

Now, flying in U.S. Airspace, and assuming you are not in an altitude restricted flight area where the maximum altitude is stated to be 400' and there are no aircraft that you might somehow interfere with and you are not in a restricted flight area (National Park, etc…) and you can maintain unaided visual sight of your drone with then these rules apply.

View attachment 153397

As you can see in paragraph 107.51, (b), (1) and (2), you can fly your drone up to 400' above ground level (AGL).

Then, if you are within 400' of a structure (500' radio tower) and you are within 400' laterally (distance from) you can climb to 400' higher than the highest point of that structure. That would put you at 900' AGL and that is completely legal.

Now this point is not spelled out in the rules and I read numerous comments about flying over a cliff. The FAA interprets a cliff, loosely as a structure, even though it is technically terrain…

Let's say you are on the side of a tall cliff (600' tall') and your buddy is climbing the face of the cliff and you want to video tape it. It does not matter if you are at the top or the bottom of the cliff. You can fly your drone all the way down the cliff to the bottom from the top or all the way up the cliff from the bottom, as long as you are within 400' of the cliff face (but within visual sight of your drone…).

View attachment 153398

As you can see in the graph, if your drone is in any of the "A" positions, you are flying legal up to 400' AGL.

Now, in the "B" position, you are also legal to be up to 400' over the top of the structure as long as it does not put you into controlled airspace. And as you approach the structure, and you are within 400' of the structure laterally (on the horizontal) you may climb up to a height equal to the height of the structure plus 400'. But notice that the top of that airspace is "domed" because you must stay within 400' of the structure.

This applies only to Part 107 pilots, and not to recreational pilots.

nd if you are flying over or up a cliff, you could fly 1,000' or more up that cliff as long as you are within 400' of the cliff face and you can still see you drone…

Not in the U.S.

MS Coast is correct. I once again put my big "drone" in my mouth...​

Recreational Flyers are not permitted to fly over 400' AGL under any condition. There are no special circumstances nor waivers that would allow a Rec. Flyer to fly higher. Flying over obstacles that would cause the pilot to fly the drone over 400' is only permeitted if you hold a Part 107 License.

Mea Culpa...

Recreational Flyers are not permitted to fly over 400' AGL under any condition. There are no special circumstances nor waivers that would allow a Rec. Flyer to fly higher. Flying over obstacles that would cause the pilot to fly the drone over 400' is only permeitted if you hold a Part 107 License.

Mea Culpa...

Just passing along what I learned from others here. It's a group effort.

Reactions: LoudThunder

Mea Culpa...
Splitting hairs here (apologies):

- You must be flying a commercial "mission" to fly above 400' AGL.
- I don't believe 107 cert allows you to fly over obstacles. It only allows you to fly above objects that are the subject of your flight (i.e.; radio tower, building, etc.)
- Just "holding" a 107 license does not allow any special exemptions when flying recreationally. If you are not doing a "job" you have to stay below 400' AGL.

You must be flying a commercial "mission" to fly above 400' AGL.

Here is the link to the entire Part 107 regulation. There are only three (3) references made to the 400' AGL height limit and that is made relative to operating a small unmanned aircraft system (no mention of mission, job, or other qualifier…).

As a Recreational Flyer myself, I also operate a small unmanned aircraft system, but I do it for fun and I cannot exceed the 400' AGL limit, ever…

As for the three references to the 400' limit, I pasted that reference in previously. If you believe that you have to be on a "mission"; we would be most interested in the reference and your interpretation of the rules.

14 CFR Part 107 -- Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Reactions: FLDave

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78