DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which drone to check on my roof, etc, and maybe for fun?

GrayArea

Reactions
I always wanted a drone but did not think I could justify the expense. But more recently I feel like maybe able to justify it.
I bought a new house. We get a lot of storms and sometimes a little bit damage. Is there a drone that is more suitable for hovering right over a roof and closely inspecting it for signs of damage?
I was looking at the mini 3 pro or the avata. I'm not sure which would be more suitable? But obstacle avoidance seems important. Also just looking out what the avata is supposed to do, that looks like a lot of fun. I think in most cases I am looking to fly a drone up close and/or through my property. I'm not so much interested in filming things for cinematic purposes. I would probably never look at a video I recorded unless I was searching for something specific.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

OA is a good feature but also zooming capabilities are as well. Many drones on the market today are able to zoom without losing much resolution. I use the Mavic 2 Zoom and the Autel Lite + for roof inspections.

Reactions: GrayArea and @Rip
I always wanted a drone but did not think I could justify the expense. But more recently I feel like maybe able to justify it.
I bought a new house. We get a lot of storms and sometimes a little bit damage. Is there a drone that is more suitable for hovering right over a roof and closely inspecting it for signs of damage?
I was looking at the mini 3 pro or the avata. I'm not sure which would be more suitable? But obstacle avoidance seems important. Also just looking out what the avata is supposed to do, that looks like a lot of fun. I think in most cases I am looking to fly a drone up close and/or through my property. I'm not so much interested in filming things for cinematic purposes. I would probably never look at a video I recorded unless I was searching for something specific.
I use a M2P for roof inspections. I also live in a stormy/windy area. The M2P withstand higher winds than lighter models and has always produced superior results for me, at least.

In regards to the video thing... roof and other inspections benefit from slow close orbits of a "point of interest" so to speak. Much detail can be discovered in a video as opposed to a still photograph.

Reactions: GrayArea
If "fun" is the real motivator and footage isn't your interest, then the Mini3 doesn't make much sense, as camera drones just aren't fun in a flying sense IMO. I like to fly camera drones because I like the filming/photography aspect and the perspective, but the actual flying part is a snooze.

The Avata takes terrible photos, but it captures good 4K video and is now much easier to fly cinematically with the new Motion Controller for those times you want to get a look at your roof (if you pay extra, you can get the FPV Controller 2 and fly it exactly like a Mavic, but it'd probably be overkill for you).

Just keep in mind that the Avata is *very* loud and only gets maaaaybe 10 minutes on a battery and can barely handle a light breeze without getting blown all over the place. But it is pretty fun to fly through trees and stuff without having to worry that a stray leaf or branch will crash your drone.

Reactions: @Rip and GrayArea
I considered Mini 3 Pro and Avata because they both have OA, and I don't want to back the drone into my chimney, dormers, etc when I am trying to get a close look. Ater a recent storm I found several roofing nails on my deck but couldn't see any missing shingles. But maybe I would not need/want to fly that close to the roof...?

I think the mini 3 would be a good choice.
I have worked with cinewhoops and the Avata is the loudest one I have ever come across, there are much better ones on the market, ones that will do much more than the Avata and you can hardly hear them.
The mini is more suited for your type of fun flying. ( until you are ready for FPV racing drones) and then its a whole new deal altogether!
I use my drones for security and don't really use my footage much either. I fly an air 2S in fpv mode, on a large iPad and do my inspections that way.

I considered Mini 3 Pro and Avata because they both have OA, and I don't want to back the drone into my chimney, dormers, etc when I am trying to get a close look. Ater a recent storm I found several roofing nails on my deck but couldn't see any missing shingles. But maybe I would not need/want to fly that close to the roof...?
There is nothing like having a zoom lens as another layer of protection. Why shoot from 3 feet when you can get great details from 20+ .

The Avata has downward sensors for landing and hovering stability, but it does not have OA. You can run it into the ground or into a tree or whatever at will, but in most cases it'll just bounce off if you are going slow.

• Wow
I use my mini 2 , no obstacle avoidance , gets me really close for inspections, cheers Len

Although not a pro roof inspector, my mini 2 did a great job when both my neighbor and I had our roofs done a year ago.

I’m thinking an extension ladder and eyeball inspection would be choice for my roof. And even my original Mavic can see the roof if I only want to check if aliens landed.

As others have noted, the Avata does not have OA. However, it makes up for it by being tough. Probably the toughest drone DJI has ever made. OA doesn't compare to those prop ducts.

You can accidentally back it into your chimney and it will just bounce off and keep flying.

I have the Mini3P and the Avata. Based on the limited information you've posted here, in my opinion the Avata is by far the best choice to meet your needs and wants. It has more than enough image capability for roof inspections with Horizon Steady enabled.

The biggest issues will be low light, and flight duration.

I’m thinking an extension ladder and eyeball inspection would be choice for my roof. And even my original Mavic can see the roof if I only want to check if aliens landed.
I hear you. My wife made me promise not to climb any ladders and avoid any other accident prone activities while she is pregnant. The flip-side is, she thinks the drone is an good idea!

As others have noted, the Avata does not have OA. However, it makes up for it by being tough. Probably the toughest drone DJI has ever made. OA doesn't compare to those prop ducts.

You can accidentally back it into your chimney and it will just bounce off and keep flying.

I have the Mini3P and the Avata. Based on the limited information you've posted here, in my opinion the Avata is by far the best choice to meet your needs and wants. It has more than enough image capability for roof inspections with Horizon Steady enabled.

The biggest issues will be low light, and flight duration.
I thought a YouTube video had said the Avata had OA. I am glad to be corrected here and not make a purchase under a bad assumption.

Reactions: Torque and @Rip
I use my Mini3 pro for roof inspection and also more fpv style flying (for fun with video-glasses). Highly recommended. You can zoom in digitally, the camera is decent for a small drone like that. It is not so noisy as well.

I hear you. My wife made me promise not to climb any ladders and avoid any other accident prone activities while she is pregnant. The flip-side is, she thinks the drone is an good idea!

I thought a YouTube video had said the Avata had OA. I am glad to be corrected here and not make a purchase under a bad assumption.
As I mentioned you really don't need it with Avata. Anything small enough to bend (grass, fine branches, etc.) the Avata will just push through. Bigger stuff results in a bounce, while staying in the air.

If you're looking primarily for flying fun and thrills, don't get the Mini3P. You will not want to fly it anywhere near anything, and the OA won't let you. If you do just brush a little grass, it's going down, and probably getting damaged.

If you wanted to shoot Hyperlapses, amazing night video, follow subjects automatically while filming, etc. the Mini3P is the right choice.

If you want to have flying fun, it's the Avata.

Both are more than adequate for personal, home roof inspection.

If you ONLY want to inspect the roof, get a Mini 2SE.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GrayArea and @Rip
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_