DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which filter is good for mavic during the solar eclipse 2017

maxcsr

Reactions
Hey guys I would really appreciate any help on this. I would like to shoot my mavic durring the solareclipse ans would like to know which nd filter is good for this; like looking straight at the sun during this event and also shooting the shadow of the moon on the ground.
I have freewell Nd8,16,Nd8,16pl
Will those work or i need another filter?

Thanks so much

The sun will be almost directly over head. How will you get a shot of it? To video or photograph the sun you will need a special lense. I do not know if they make one that will fit the mavick. If not filming or photographing the sun directly you won't need anything special.

Hey guys I would really appreciate any help on this. I would like to shoot my mavic durring the solareclipse ans would like to know which nd filter is good for this; like looking straight at the sun during this event and also shooting the shadow of the moon on the ground.
I have freewell Nd8,16,Nd8,16pl
Will those work or i need another filter?

Thanks so much
Filming the effects on the shadows of trees and builds from above will be interesting.

Reactions: maxcsr and bucefalo
I was thinking the same. The shadows from the trees will be hundreds of little eclipse. Maybe get up high enough and watch the shadow come across the ground. I will be a very populated areas so no flying for me.

Reactions: The Angry Prepper
Film the ground shadow! Even with filters, the camera circuitry would burn out pointed directly at the sun. (Think magnifying glass vs. ants).

Plus, kinda hard for the Mavic to look up...unless you fix the gimbal and hold the bird.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do. Trying to find a high point, with a nice slope to the West into a valley. Put her up to 400 and film the approaching shadow.

...and away from throngs of people...and not in the National Park (Smokies)..ugh.

Let the Mavic do what it does +just remember, the low light can cause navigation and landing issues. Fly at night to get used to how it will act.

Keep us posted.

I'm thinking about flying it over to the golf course and filming the shadow as best I can. Very bright sunny day here so I'm thinking ND16 filter.

I will be filming with a land based DSLR, tested it yesterday at 20X, 30X, 45X zoom with a ND 300 Filter ( Which is black and you can't see through it )

Here are the results ( No post edit, color correction, ect... just raw video )

Last edited:
Well it turned out to be a non-event here in Central Florida, skies clouded over about an hour before 85% totality and rained right thru the whole thing:mad:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming