DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which iPad...

Duckman

Reactions
I have done some searching/reading here... seen several comments.

Yes I'm new and this is my first post. And I have my 107.

Just getting my Mavick now.

Why I'm asking... Apple has referb mini2 wifi 16gb's for 209.00 and mini4 wifi 16gb's for 279.00. and 319.00 for the cellular.

Would there be much of an advantage to any one of these.

Thanks for the time.

Mike

Reactions: PROMOLOZO
The iPad Mini 2 should work just fine. If you often fly in hot weather, then the iPad Mini 4 would be a better choice since it won't overheat as quickly (even more so if it's not in a case). The iPad Mini 4 is also a good choice because it's a little lighter, faster, brighter, and has an anti-reflective coating on the screen (which helps when flying outside).

Cellular Apple devices contain a GPS receiver. The GPS is usable even if you don't setup a cell plan. With GPS on your tablet, you will be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and reset the home point to your current location after taking off. It'll also allow you to connect to the Internet and download the maps in real-time as you fly. If you don't need to use those features, then a Wi-Fi only tablet would be a better choice (price-wise).

Thanks MSinger. You read my mind. You answered the question perfectly.

Stay safe!

I'm of the opinion to buy the most IPad you can. I would go with the Mini 4, I have an IPad Air which is the processing equivalent of the Mini 2. While it worked pretty well, I'd get occasional display issues like the screen refreshes and half the screen is black or there is a green band across the display. It is only momentary and I never lost the image nor did the screen disconnect. I bought an IPad mini 4 with Cellular and have not had any issues what so ever.

I have done some searching/reading here... seen several comments.

Yes I'm new and this is my first post. And I have my 107.

Just getting my Mavick now.

Why I'm asking... Apple has referb mini2 wifi 16gb's for 209.00 and mini4 wifi 16gb's for 279.00. and 319.00 for the cellular.

Would there be much of an advantage to any one of these.

Thanks for the time.

Mike
Welcome to MavicPilots! I agree with @msinger the mini 4 is far superior IMHO. Fly safe!

The iPad Mini 2 should work just fine. If you often fly in hot weather, then the iPad Mini 4 would be a better choice since it won't overheat as quickly (even more so if it's not in a case). The iPad Mini 4 is also a good choice because it's a little lighter, faster, brighter, and has an anti-reflective coating on the screen (which helps when flying outside).

Cellular Apple devices contain a GPS receiver. The GPS is usable even if you don't setup a cell plan. With GPS on your tablet, you will be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and reset the home point to your current location after taking off. It'll also allow you to connect to the Internet and download the maps in real-time as you fly. If you don't need to use those features, then a Wi-Fi only tablet would be a better choice (price-wise).

This is just the feedback i needed. Thank you.

Don't know here Cool but I have the mini 2 with cellular and love it
but I messed up getting only 16GB . I use it for other things and it
fill's up way to fast . Wasn't thinking when I got it .

I understand that there's an advantage to GPS enabled ipad mini, but are there additional benefits with a cellular package as well?

Is for me as I use it like I'm at home on my PC .
Can the phone but I can see the screen better .

Suppose you have a mini 4 and your phone has a hot spot for Internet to the mini 4 would this suffice? How can the mini 4 with cellular get connected with the Internet when you stated that the cellular was not activated?

are there additional benefits with a cellular package as well?
You'll be able to use any functions of the DJI GO app that require an Internet connection. For example, you could download the maps in real-time as you fly or stream your flights to YouTube/Facebook.

Suppose you have a mini 4 and your phone has a hot spot for Internet to the mini 4 would this suffice?
A hotspot would allow you to share the Internet connection between your phone and iPad Mini 4. It would not share the GPS data though.

How can the mini 4 with cellular get connected with the Internet when you stated that the cellular was not activated?
It cannot get a cellular connection if the cell service is not activated. You can use the GPS receiver though.

Reactions: Steve Langford
I've seen people complain about the mini 2 on other sites. I bought the iPad mini 4 the WiFi version and connect it to my mobile hotspot works great. I bought a refurbished one for $214.00. Look at GameStop.com and search iPad mini 4 then on the left filter search that says ships in 24hrs. I looked for 3 days before they had some in stock and bought it right away. It's worked great has no scratches.

I have cell service on my mini 4, 30$ a month unlimited, even use it for a hotspot with up to 10gb 4g if my wifi is down. I originally bought it just for my mavic but very useful and handy for alot more! Well worth it in my eyes.

I'm picking up a lightly used Mini 4 16gb in about 2 hours. I heard you cant go wrong with it. I am a fan of android and I read that the DJI Go 4 app crashes all the time and that's the last thing I want happening when I fly. I found one on Offer Up for $280 and was able to talk him down to $200 with a case ($50). IMO cant beat that! Its only 16gb but this is going to be used exclusively for the Mavic! Since I got a good deal I went ahead and bought the MavMount for it as well. Pretty excited to receive both!

Reactions: Duckman
@Mavic_Pete That mount you have in that picture, is that yours? Where did you get it, I like that one by the looks it might give me the angle I liked to have? Link??

A hotspot would allow you to share the Internet connection between your phone and iPad Mini 4. It would not share the GPS data though.
I wonder if it has to do with the mobile hotspot (MiFi) you are using. The one I use if I goto maps and ask it to mark my location it will show me where the tablet is (ROUGHLY). My friends mobile hotspot will not give a current location.

@Mavic_Pete That mount you have in that picture, is that yours? Where did you get it, I like that one by the looks it might give me the angle I liked to have? Link??

Not my picture it's from their site but that's the one I ordered today in gunmetal grey. They have 9 different colors. They are $60 but well worth it imo based off reviews, and overall craftsmanship. Here is the link!

http://www.mavmount.com/index.php/product-category/mavic-spark-drone-ipad-tablet-mount-holder/

Sidenote just picked up my iPad mini 4! Woohoo!

Reactions: RCKable
I was also having CPU overload problems with iPad 2. Just received iPad 4 today, wifi only. I never have a problem using phone for hotspot. I don't ever change my home position in flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78