DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whites always blown out on videos!

koolio

Reactions
Hi All,

I can't seem to avoid blowing out whites on all my videos. I have tried AUTO white balance as well as the other options without resolution. I even changed my video mode to cinelike-d but still have the issue. I wondering if this could be fixed by other settings? Or could this be an issue with the camera/chip? Admittedly, I have been filming on the water and it seems the white boats always blow out.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Nick

Heya Nick, welcome to the forum.
Do you have an example on Youtube, and a link ?

Suppose you have tried full auto on everything ?
Do you have the histogram on screen and use it, and / or the Overexposure Warning (zebra stripes) on ?
These are both useful tools, but usually pilots will use one or the other with good results.

I'll find a video for you to check out . . .

This one shows adjusting exposure to suit both histogram or Overexposure Warning.

Reactions: koolio
I can't seem to avoid blowing out whites on all my videos. I have tried AUTO white balance as well as the other options without resolution.
White balance affects the way colour is displayed.
If the problem is overexposure, white balance won't help at all.

If your video as well as live view is washed out, the solution is probably that you've accidentally set exposure compensation to overexpose.

Reactions: koolio
Heya Nick, welcome to the forum.
Do you have an example on Youtube, and a link ?

Suppose you have tried full auto on everything ?
Do you have the histogram on screen and use it, and / or the Overexposure Warning (zebra stripes) on ?
These are both useful tools, but usually pilots will use one or the other with good results.

I'll find a video for you to check out . . .

This one shows adjusting exposure to suit both histogram or Overexposure Warning.
Please see link to recent Youtube upload:

Thanks!

I don't own an M2 model, but assume the exposure can be adjusted with your right controller wheel.

With the zoom, I believe you should avoid using the zoom function while filming, as this will alter the exposure significantly, creating an issue if on auto or manual exposure, just like turning towards or away from light sky, sunlight etc.

You should be able to use your aperture / shutter settings manually too as needed.

I don't own an M2 model, but assume the exposure can be adjusted with your right controller wheel.

With the zoom, I believe you should avoid using the zoom function while filming, as this will alter the exposure significantly, creating an issue if on auto or manual exposure, just like turning towards or away from light sky, sunlight etc.

You should be able to use your aperture / shutter settings manually too as needed.
Yep - found it. The EV can be changed on the 5D wheel. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how I go.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hi All,

I can't seem to avoid blowing out whites on all my videos. I have tried AUTO white balance as well as the other options without resolution. I even changed my video mode to cinelike-d but still have the issue. I wondering if this could be fixed by other settings? Or could this be an issue with the camera/chip? Admittedly, I have been filming on the water and it seems the white boats always blow out.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Nick
Thanks everyone for your help. Indeed the 5D button (left/right) allows me to compensate the EV. Its made such a big difference to my footage.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk