DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who says the Mavic Mini can't handle the wind? Thirty mile per hour gusts at 75 feet high, and steady as a rock....

How do you know the wind speed?
I didn't create the video, but the person who did reported them to be that speed. I assume he was looking at a web site that gives wind speed, or maybe the UAV app/website, or similar. You can certainly tell from the way the flag is flying that it's quite windy.

I didn't create the video, but the person who did reported them to be that speed. I assume he was looking at a web site that gives wind speed, or maybe the UAV app/website, or similar. You can certainly tell from the way the flag is flying that it's quite windy.

30 mph is the maximum speed of the Mini in sport mode. If the aircraft was in sport mode then it might have been able to make headway into a wind close to as shown, but without seeing the flight log my guess is that the wind speed was significantly less than 30 mph.

30 mph is the maximum speed of the Mini in sport mode. If the aircraft was in sport mode then it might have been able to make headway into a wind close to as shown, but without seeing the flight log my guess is that the wind speed was significantly less than 30 mph.
I'm not sure if this was a quickshot, but I'm wondering if quickshot is mode C or P or S ????

Reactions: Kevin Fantroy
the person who did reported them to be that speed. I assume he was looking at a web site that gives wind speed, or maybe the UAV app/website, or similar.
The average guy has no idea what the wind's speed is and often overestimates.
Forecasts can be very different from actual wind speeds for a bunch of reasons.
Assumptions aren't worth anything
You can certainly tell from the way the flag is flying that it's quite windy.
You can tell ... but it's not 30 mph ... it's a moderate breeze.
i-2BMkhvq-M.jpg

The average guy has no idea what the wind's speed is

i-2BMkhvq-M.jpg
Yep I go with that.

The average guy has no idea what the wind's speed is and often overestimates.

i-2BMkhvq-M.jpg

I used to scuba dive almost every weekend for over 20 years off the New England coast. I’d always check the flags on my way to the dive boat. Wind makes waves and the flag was a great indicator on what kind of a trip I was in for.

he used the flag to give some credence to his claim, but in a way it backfired on him, because the flag was showing that it was just a steady breeze during the whole video

OK, I give up. What's so unbelievable about that shot? It says 30 mph gusts. So wind was less than 30. It's very possible to shoot that with a Mini at low altitude and close to the subject. It is nice shot and he says (in the forum this came from) he didn't use the Quick Shot circle mode, but did it with the controller. I think a LOT of this Mavic Mini can't handle the wind talk is hooey. Just fly smart and it will give you some nice vids.

Reactions: pelagic_one
OK, I give up. What's so unbelievable about that shot? It says 30 mph gusts. So wind was less than 30. It's very possible to shoot that with a Mini at low altitude and close to the subject. It is nice shot and he says (in the forum this came from) he didn't use the Quick Shot circle mode, but did it with the controller. I think a LOT of this Mavic Mini can't handle the wind talk is hooey. Just fly smart and it will give you some nice vids.

So are you telling us that the mini CAN handle wind and the issues seasoned fliers have had with these in wind is just them messing up?
The drone is lightweight and not incredibly powerful. There is no way it's going to cope with big winds and if they are steady winds it WILL get blown off track. It's not really hooey it's just simple.

I am not going to debate wind speed or anything. All I can say is the MM is very capable for the size and price.
I have been flying in 20 mph winds with it and it can make it in the sport mode.

Now if you use RTH at that wind speed and you depend on that you are in trouble because RTH only uses P mode that is 18 Mph I guess. You need to help the Mini pushing to sport mode speeds to compensate.

we use flags and online apps to monitor wind speeds when we paramotor... I can tell you by looking at the flag that is not 30 mph.. plus apps show at least two different wind parameters... sustained wind speed and gusting wind speed.... the other factor in wind height is called winds aloft... winds aloft cover the wind speed at ground level and how the wind speed changes with height... I'll have to call thevid FAKE NEWS .... I'm not sure any consumer drone could handle a sustained 30 mph... thats a lot of wind..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigben123