DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why all the hype about the Mini 3?

shorttimer

Reactions
I'm wondering why all the hype about the Mini 3? Sure we all like the tech and the latest there is to offer but it just seems there is so much more hype than usual. I know the ,250 gram is a very popular market especially overseas but I don't believe I have seen this amount of speculation in the past. I'm just thinking what it could offer over the Mini 2, which I consider an excellent drone. Time will tell and it will be interesting to see how many people actually purchase the Mini 3.

I don't know how many remember when the 1st original Mavic came out, people had to wait a long time as the demand was so great. They were tracking the airline flights that were delivering their Mavics and tracking the FedEx trucks around the neighborhood and posting this. And people were hawking their unopened Mavics on eBay for 4X what they paid as if you wanted one you had to wait in a very long line.

I guess I just don't see what improvement the Mini 3 can offer whether it be OA, tracking, a 1" sensor, longer battery life, etc. I just think it will be interesting to follow the release of it. It will be even more interesting to see how many actually purchase it.

Reactions: ArnieZiffel
It's a cheap advertising campaign for DJI and works up a head of steamin those people that must have the latest.
I'd let others work out the kinks before I even thought of buying, mind you if you really could sell for them on ebay for 4 times the retail it might be worth getting a few "unwanted gift"s lol. That said I am betting on the price HURTING.

Last edited:
Personally I can't get too hyped up about any drone while uncertainties exist regarding RID and BVLOS are settled. Advertisements about a greater range far beyond what you can see, even with a much larger drone, are meaningless if in practical terms you can only legally fly it out to 1,000 feet.

I think the hype is real in this case because mini 3 will be able to take shots that the Mavic 3, air 2s, and Inspire , even combined, will never be able to take. And that is just the ability for the gimbal to look up.

In Europe all above- 250 gram drones are basically dead after 2023 as they will only be allowed to be flown 150meter from civilisation and roads, so almost nowhere.

So people are looking for new features, and pro image quality in a drone that they will be able to use for many years, which is thy there would be more hope than normal

I think the hype is real in this case because mini 3 will be able to take shots that the Mavic 3, air 2s, and Inspire , even combined, will never be able to take. And that is just the ability for the gimbal to look up.

In Europe all above- 250 gram drones are basically dead after 2023 as they will only be allowed to be flown 150meter from civilisation and roads, so almost nowhere.

So people are looking for new features, and pro image quality in a drone that they will be able to use for many years, which is thy there would be more hope than normal
I see the value in pitching the camera upward to 90 degrees for inspections of towers, bridges, and such. But I'm not seeing a great deal of value for typical flying, photography, and video, other than 360-degree panoramas. What am I overlooking?

(Underlooking?)

I see the value in pitching the camera upward to 90 degrees for inspections of towers, bridges, and such. But I'm not seeing a great deal of value for typical flying, photography, and video, other than 360-degree panoramas. What am I overlooking?

(Underlooking?)
Agree. For an everyday photographer I would say that 98% of the things you'll want to photograph are below your drone, not up.

Agree. For an everyday photographer I would say that 98% of the things you'll want to photograph are below your drone, not up.
that is merely because you currently have drones which are not capable of it.

You most probably did not see the value in +15 minute flight times, +1080P resolutions above 30fps, and so on either, yet here you are.

You are basically saying "aerial photography is only everything below +20degrees north of the horizon".

Lets just say I am happy that DJI is more forward thinking! :)

I'm wondering why all the hype about the Mini 3? Sure we all like the tech and the latest there is to offer but it just seems there is so much more hype than usual. I know the ,250 gram is a very popular market especially overseas but I don't believe I have seen this amount of speculation in the past. I'm just thinking what it could offer over the Mini 2, which I consider an excellent drone. Time will tell and it will be interesting to see how many people actually purchase the Mini 3.

I don't know how many remember when the 1st original Mavic came out, people had to wait a long time as the demand was so great. They were tracking the airline flights that were delivering their Mavics and tracking the FedEx trucks around the neighborhood and posting this. And people were hawking their unopened Mavics on eBay for 4X what they paid as if you wanted one you had to wait in a very long line.

I guess I just don't see what improvement the Mini 3 can offer whether it be OA, tracking, a 1" sensor, longer battery life, etc. I just think it will be interesting to follow the release of it. It will be even more interesting to see how many actually purchase it.
I think it may be possible because Part 107 folks, myself included, are looking for ways to fly over people. It's almost impossible per the new Cat 1, 2, 3, & 4 rules. Just about the only way possible right now is to own a Cat 1 drone which has to be under 250 grams complete.

Category 1 eligible small unmanned aircraft must weigh less than 0.55, including everything on board or otherwise attached, and contain no exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin.

In the near future RID is required to be incorporated by manufacturers within 18 months and are going to be required to be in use by operators 12 months after that.

That's IMHO may be the reason for the hype on the Mini 3 - The need for a Cat 1 Drone to fly over people. Again IMHO.

Reactions: Torque
that is merely because you currently have drones which are not capable of it.

You most probably did not see the value in +15 minute flight times, +1080P resolutions above 30fps, and so on either, yet here you are.

You are basically saying "aerial photography is only everything below +20degrees north of the horizon".

Lets just say I am happy that DJI is more forward thinking! :)
Of course longer flight time and better resolution have value for almost all drone operations. But what purposes, other than inspections of structures and 360-degree panos, do you see a benefit for pitching the camera +90 degrees?

Personally I can't get too hyped up about any drone while uncertainties exist regarding RID and BVLOS are settled. Advertisements about a greater range far beyond what you can see, even with a much larger drone, are meaningless if in practical terms you can only legally fly it out to 1,000 feet.
Karnack sees all!

The BVLOS rules will be relaxed reasonably soon. Not this month, maybe not this year, but reasonably soon.

RID will facilitate that development. Perhaps, BVLOS will be authorized for RID equipped drones, before RID is actually required.

I wouldn't hold off buying a drone just due to this uncertainty, if you wanted the drone for other reasons.

Thx,

TCS

Of course longer flight time and better resolution have value for almost all drone operations. But what purposes, other than inspections of structures and 360-degree panos, do you see a benefit for pitching the camera +90 degrees?
Flying under a canopy of trees.

TCS

Reactions: KLRSKIR and Torque
But that new drone smell and sleek new plastic is intriguing. And most likely Occusync 3. What's not to like. What will the stripe color of the new props be?

Karnack sees all!

The BVLOS rules will be relaxed reasonably soon. Not this month, maybe not this year, but reasonably soon.

RID will facilitate that development. Perhaps, BVLOS will be authorized for RID equipped drones, before RID is actually required.

I wouldn't hold off buying a drone just due to this uncertainty, if you wanted the drone for other reasons.

Thx,

TCS
When it comes to the FAA and regulations seeing is believing. Based on what I've read in the ACR the rules for BVLOS are still going to require getting over some significant hurtles. As for RID, I don't get the logic behind expanding BVLOS before RID is in place. In my mind you would want RID in place to identify the aircraft and the location of the operator before authorization for BVLOS is granted. If you can't identify both there is no way to know if the drone is being flown BVLOS.

It's easy for me - I want one for an upcoming trip, and need one that has tracking. We are so close to the release date, it makes sense to me to wait for the Mini 3, especially if there is a chance it will work with my RC Pro. Not hype for me, just a simple set of needs that it checks off. The Nano+ is another option for me, but I'd rather stay with DJI for the time being.

But that new drone smell and sleek new plastic is intriguing. And most likely Occusync 3. What's not to like. What will the stripe color of the new props be?
That is, of course, the essential question...

;-)

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78