DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why all the hype about the Mini 3?

When it comes to the FAA and regulations seeing is believing. Based on what I've read in the ACR the rules for BVLOS are still going to require getting over some significant hurtles. As for RID, I don't get the logic behind expanding BVLOS before RID is in place. In my mind you would want RID in place to identify the aircraft and the location of the operator before authorization for BVLOS is granted. If you can't identify both there is no way to know if the drone is being flown BVLOS.
The technology for RID exists today. You don't need to have it universally *required*, in order for it to be *useful*. I strongly suspect that I could buy some little RID widget for under 100 bucks today, and slap it on the back of my Mini-2.

And even if that's not currently true, it will be in not that many months.

Even before RID is *required*, it's entirely plausible that the FAA could allow for BVLOS flight for drones that voluntarily have it, before it's required. No RID, no BVLOS. But making BVLOS legal for drones that *do* have RID, will encourage wide and rapid RID compliance, in advance of the requirement date.

Win-win, for both droners and the FAA.

It may not happen, but it's certainly plausible.

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: BethanyFerrell
I think the hype is real in this case because mini 3 will be able to take shots that the Mavic 3, air 2s, and Inspire , even combined, will never be able to take. And that is just the ability for the gimbal to look up.

In Europe all above- 250 gram drones are basically dead after 2023 as they will only be allowed to be flown 150meter from civilisation and roads, so almost nowhere.

So people are looking for new features, and pro image quality in a drone that they will be able to use for many years, which is thy there would be more hope than normal
The Air 2 S gimbal can look up. I think it is about 20 degrees. Do you think the mini 3 will look up more degrees?

Reactions: test2000Anafi
I think the hype is real in this case because mini 3 will be able to take shots that the Mavic 3, air 2s, and Inspire , even combined, will never be able to take. And that is just the ability for the gimbal to look up.

In Europe all above- 250 gram drones are basically dead after 2023 as they will only be allowed to be flown 150meter from civilisation and roads, so almost nowhere.

So people are looking for new features, and pro image quality in a drone that they will be able to use for many years, which is thy there would be more hope than normal
^^^^ THIS ^^^^
We tend to be USA focused but in fact even a couple years ago my Mavic and Spark were mostly useless in Western Europe. The smaller drone will be much less subject to ridiculous laws. The only ones remaining that are a PITA are the excessive (IMHO) privacy concerns in the EU. We have those people also here in the US but Europeans have take it to a whole new level to where they now consider their property a "privacy" concern. Not kidding I was staying at a Gasthause and got permission to fly. The guy on the property adjacent came over and demanded I destroy my images because he was certain his property was in it. Ridiculous - this was farmland in the Swartzwald. But some folks are overly eager to carry a banner into a pseudo conflict.

I personally want to see DJI return serve on Autels Nano+ drone which is what the Mini 3 will have to match or better spec wise & price wise. I am happy with my Air2S so won’t be buying a Mini 3 but it’s interesting watching this battle from the sidelines.

I think gimbal tilt 90degrees upwards, give great new angle always when flying close to ground level and take video.

I think that all drone manufacturers are going to be putting a lot of R&D $ into the sub 250 class drones, on the fear that this will be the only weight class left to those who don't have a part 107.

The Air 2 S gimbal can look up. I think it is about 20 degrees. Do you think the mini 3 will look up more degrees?
The Mini-2 can look up 10º, and I've used that feature on many occasions, when flying in trees.

We have a lot of trees here...

TCS

Good luck getting a gps signal 👍
So far that hasn't been a problem, but to be fair "canopy" may have been too strong a term.

It's all pine trees where I live, no leafy deciduous. And the soil is reasonably crappy, so they aren't packed that densely together.

TCS

Reactions: Chris Rees
I think that all drone manufacturers are going to be putting a lot of R&D $ into the sub 250 class drones, on the fear that this will be the only weight class left to those who don't have a part 107.
That's an interesting speculation.

I have my 107, so it wouldn't matter to me personally, but would it be good for droning generally? it might.

Perhaps, distinguishing more between the 107 rules and rec rules could be a good thing, I can imagine a scenario where only people with their 107 can fly BVLOS, and only then if their drone is equipped with RID electronics that aren't practical to do under 250g.

It's just a guess, but I'd be happy with that outcome!

:)

TCS

That's an interesting speculation.

I have my 107, so it wouldn't matter to me personally, but would it be good for droning generally? it might.

Perhaps, distinguishing more between the 107 rules and rec rules could be a good thing, I can imagine a scenario where only people with their 107 can fly BVLOS, and only then if their drone is equipped with RID electronics that aren't practical to do under 250g.

It's just a guess, but I'd be happy with that outcome!

:)

TCS
I'm an Electronic Hardware Engineering Architect - If I worked at a Drone Manuf. Company, I'd be pitching the R&D emphasis on the sub 250s class drones.

Also the professional class drones like the DJI Matrice line...

I'm an Electronic Hardware Engineering Architect - If I worked at a Drone Manuf. Company, I'd be pitching the R&D emphasis on the sub 250s class drones.

Also the professional class drones like the DJI Matrice line...
Please forgive me, I don't quite follow. What do you mean by "pitching the R&D emphasis?

Thx,

MM

Of course longer flight time and better resolution have value for almost all drone operations. But what purposes, other than inspections of structures and 360-degree panos, do you see a benefit for pitching the camera +90 degrees?
This will be a big deal for 360 shooters as no more filling in the top of the pano manually. The fact it takes 22 or more images to make a 360 pano means the sensor size is fine and possibly the ideal drone for 360s. I guess future bigger drones will go that way too?

I'm wondering why all the hype about the Mini 3? Sure we all like the tech and the latest there is to offer but it just seems there is so much more hype than usual. I know the ,250 gram is a very popular market especially overseas but I don't believe I have seen this amount of speculation in the past. I'm just thinking what it could offer over the Mini 2, which I consider an excellent drone. Time will tell and it will be interesting to see how many people actually purchase the Mini 3.

I don't know how many remember when the 1st original Mavic came out, people had to wait a long time as the demand was so great. They were tracking the airline flights that were delivering their Mavics and tracking the FedEx trucks around the neighborhood and posting this. And people were hawking their unopened Mavics on eBay for 4X what they paid as if you wanted one you had to wait in a very long line.

I guess I just don't see what improvement the Mini 3 can offer whether it be OA, tracking, a 1" sensor, longer battery life, etc. I just think it will be interesting to follow the release of it. It will be even more interesting to see how many actually purchase it.
Probably because this is the drone we’ve all been waiting for (at least me). I’ve wanted a drone with the tiny form factor of the mini that didn’t suck, could handle wind, had sensors, active track, and a remote with a screen built in and didn’t break the bank.

Probably because this is the drone we’ve all been waiting for (at least me). I’ve wanted a drone with the tiny form factor of the mini that didn’t suck, could handle wind, had sensors, active track, and a remote with a screen built in and didn’t break the bank.
I'm not so sure Mini 3 Pro won't break the bank. With screen RC I'm expecting a FMC retail price at around $800 ‐ $1000

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom