DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do people claim mini 2 has better video compared to mini 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

test2000Anafi

Reactions
See thread title.
All test comparing video have shown the supposed 4K has exactly the same resolution compared to the 2.7K from the mini 1.

Yet why do people still claim it is improved? Because of paper specs?

All test comparing video have shown the supposed 4K has exactly the same resolution compared to the 2.7K from the mini 1.
The footage that comes from the 4K Mini 2 is more detailed and looks considerably better on larger screens that use 4k. When viewed on iPhones and portable devices the difference will be much less pronounced.

Photo quality should be roughly the same as both models share a 12mp sensor.

Video on my Mini 2 comes out at 3840x2160, which is 4K resolution. The original Mini and the SE have 2720×1530 resolution, which is 2.7K. I don't know where you got your resolutions from, but they're wrong.

Last edited:
Thank you for these posts proving my point!

So according to the people responding there is a difference. So if this is true, would any comparison exist which shows this

Thank you for these posts proving my point!

So according to the people responding there is a difference. So if this is true, would any comparison exist which shows this
Its a silly debate.... the only point proven is that you haven't done your homework. 4K is better than 2.7K and is visible on any large screen. Look up Youtube comparison videos of the two drone's footage and put it on a large format television. Put on your glasses if you need to. The difference in detail is there. I've owned both.

I am not saying that the 2.7K doesn't look good but its not the same as the 4K.

Reactions: db4476 and Kilrah
Its a silly debate.... the only point proven is that you haven't done your homework. 4K is better than 2.7K and is visible on any large screen. Look up Youtube comparison videos of the two drone's footage and put it on a large format television. Put on your glasses if you need to. The difference in detail is there. I've owned both.

I am not saying that the 2.7K doesn't look good but its not the same as the 4K.
There is no added detail in the mini 2 video. It upscales a 2.7 image as it has no native 4K detail.

Reactions: mini_pilot14
There is no added detail in the mini 2 video. It upscales a 2.7 image as it has no native 4K detail.

What evidence do you have for this? The resolution of my videos straight from my SD card are 3840x2160. The native resolution of the cmos sensor is 4000x3000, which is available for photographs. If anything, the 4K video is slightly downscaled.

See thread title.

Yet why do people still claim it is improved? Because of paper specs?
There's a certain "Groundhog Day" character to this thread. We've been here before.

I just bought a used Mini-1 Fly More Combo, which is due to arrive this week. When it does, I'll do test vids of the same place, one right after the other with the Mini-1 and the Mini-2, both set at their max resolution. The scenes will be rich in color and texture. Then I'll post both of those vids.

One OP mentioned the importance of looking at the resulting vids on a big screen. That's probably essential. It's not possible for me to care less about comparisons of "quality" on a microscopic phone screen.

test2000, what's the largest screen on which you've watched both Mini-2 vids, and Mini-1 vids?

Thx,

TCS

There's a certain "Groundhog Day" character to this thread. We've been here before.

I just bought a used Mini-1 Fly More Combo, which is due to arrive this week. When it does, I'll do test vids of the same place, one right after the other with the Mini-1 and the Mini-2, both set at their max resolution. The scenes will be rich in color and texture. Then I'll post both of those vids.

One OP mentioned the importance of looking at the resulting vids on a big screen. That's probably essential. It's not possible for me to care less about comparisons of "quality" on a microscopic phone screen.

test2000, what's the largest screen on which you've watched both Mini-2 vids, and Mini-1 vids?

Thx,

TCS

A 75 inch Sony Bravia 75XH9096 ultra HD television. I also have a 16 inch 2021 a MacBook Pro

What evidence do you have for this? The resolution of my videos straight from my SD card are 3840x2160. The native resolution of the cmos sensor is 4000x3000, which is available for photographs. If anything, the 4K video is slightly downscaled.
The evidence is in the fact that no comparison has ever been able to show that mini 2 captures video detail beyond mini 1. It is possible both use the same 2.7K sensor crop for video and the mini 2 simply saves it at 4K

The evidence is in the fact that no comparison has ever been able to show that mini 2 captures video detail beyond mini 1. It is possible both use the same 2.7K sensor crop for video and the mini 2 simply saves it at 4K
come to think of it.. mini 1 and 2 both use the same sensor, and same field of view for the video.. that finally explains it!! As they both have the same field of view and sensor crop, mini 2 cannot have real 4K resolution as the video does not use that part of the sensor to begin with

And you know this how?

You are engaging in the impossible, and credibility destroying effort to prove a negative.

All that you can say is YOU haven't seen such a comparison, which, based on the debate between you, and others here with a strong reputation for credibility that say they have, doesn't lend credence to your increasingly shrill and aggressive insistence.

@test2000Anafi, for the past few weeks I’ve seen you relentlessly attacking the Mini 2 with a fervor that is bordering on obsession. Why is that?

Even if the M2 was the same as the M1 -which it isn’t- why is it so important to you to prove that the M2 is nothing special? There are thousands of extremely happy owners around the world, as well as hundreds of reviews globally that sing the praises of the Mini 2, to the point that it practically set the benchmark for sub 250 gram drones.
Everyone here is politely trying to explain some things to you and you keep coming back trying to prove the rest of the world wrong. Such dogged insistence is honestly getting to the point of farcical comedy now.

@test2000Anafi, for the past few weeks I’ve seen you relentlessly attacking the Mini 2 with a fervor that is bordering on obsession. Why is that?

Even if the M2 was the same as the M1 -which it isn’t- why is it so important to you to prove that the M2 is nothing special? There are thousands of extremely happy owners around the world, as well as hundreds of reviews globally that sing the praises of the Mini 2, to the point that it practically set the benchmark for sub 250 gram drones.
Everyone here is politely trying to explain some things to you and you keep coming back trying to prove the rest of the world wrong. Such dogged insistence is honestly getting to the point of farcical comedy now.
Human mind is very complicated. The OP bought a Mini 2 and never opened the case. I don't know if he wants to reassure his buy or on the contrary wants to justify not to use it. Who knows??🤔🤔🤔

How is it possible then that nobody was ever able to compare the video detail, in favour of the mini 2.
In another topic we even had posters claiming, in a blind test, that they preferred the mini 1 footage as it was sharper or something

How is it possible then that nobody was ever able to compare the video detail, in favour of the mini 2.
It's possible that such comparisons have been made, make the case, but you haven't seen them.

It's also possible that you have comported yourself in such a manner that no one cares to waste their time finding a demonstration that would convince you, even though they've seen it. You're spamming several threads obnoxiously hammering the same obsession.

It is utterly unimportant to convince you. That's where I am.

Be obnoxious, show no grace when called on it, and you make no friends.

Last edited:
That's completely wrong.

Video from both viewed at native size is comparable in sharpness, except - well, the mini 1 is smaller. Blowing it up to 4K to match the mini2's output size looks expectedly soft and nowhere near. If it was upscaled as you suggest it would be the same.
Footage from mini1 also has a bit more noise/aliasing than mini2.

Haven't you been trolling this since the mini2 came out anyway? Frustration much?

come to think of it.. mini 1 and 2 both use the same sensor, and same field of view for the video.. that finally explains it!! As they both have the same field of view and sensor crop, mini 2 cannot have real 4K resolution as the video does not use that part of the sensor to begin with
The mini 1 uses line skipping and pixel binning to record video from a larger higher resolution sensor area at a lower resolution. This is very common practice and is the same method used to record even lower resolution video, such as 1080p, with the same field of view.

The line skipping and pixel binning could also account for the noticeable loss in detail as well as the aliasing noticed by @Kilrah compared to the Mini 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure